CREE LED Headlight Bulbs Reviewed! Pics! - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 12-16-2014, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

CREE LED Headlight Bulbs Reviewed! Pics!

Product:

Alright, so I popped these badboys in this morning and my overall impression of these so far are very good. They look very classy and very OEM. The color of the light against the wall is extremely similar to the LED's in the new Q50, Lexus IS, E-Class, and Corollas. I'll let the before/after pictures speak for themselves. I can confirm that after the lights are installed, the plug that goes into the LED should be facing upwards as shown in the last picture.

After driving at night, they're bright but because of the 6000k nature of them, it appears that I'm not seeing as far ahead in the road compared to a 4300k bulb. They're about the same in brightness as halogens but these are only about 80% as bright as HID's. These are still great nonetheless, but I think the Black Editions would be perfect considering they're whiter and brighter than the Blue's that I have.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mugen21 For This Useful Post:
II Kings 9:20 (12-16-2014), redfox302 (12-16-2014)
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 12-16-2014, 05:04 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen21 View Post
Product:

Alright, so I popped these badboys in this morning and my overall impression of these so far are very good. They look very classy and very OEM. The color of the light against the wall is extremely similar to the LED's in the new Q50, Lexus IS, E-Class, and Corollas. I'll let the before/after pictures speak for themselves. I can confirm that after the lights are installed, the plug that goes into the LED should be facing upwards as shown in the last picture.

After driving at night, they're bright but because of the 6000k nature of them, it appears that I'm not seeing as far ahead in the road compared to a 4300k bulb. They're about the same in brightness as halogens but these are only about 80% as bright as HID's. These are still great nonetheless, but I think the Black Editions would be perfect considering they're whiter and brighter than the Blue's that I have.
Nice, I wondered how these were and LED PNP bulbs have come a long way.

$80 ain't bad. These will put HD kits out of business. No ballasts, or questions about resistors, where do I zip tie all the wires, and all the other stuff that goes with HID kits. This PNP is ideal (as long as the performance at night is great)

The advantage of LED/HID is better light and visibility at night. If you're not seeing as far down the road at night, this is not progress. 6000K is going to sacrifice some output vis a vis 4300K as you mentioned. I will try the Black (4300K) on my next idiotic car without factory HID/LED in friggin 2015. Don't get me started.

I'm thinking of a CRV Touring as a Leaf replacement and it has everything from Lane Watch to CMB (collision mitigation braking-I hope it works better than FCW. Volvo and Subaru CMB were the only two who passed CR testing, MB with 3 radar systems and Infiniti failed) and lane keeping assist to help steer the car in the lane if you drift but the dam car has "halogen projector headlights" at $33K in 2015! We can land a freaking space ship on a comet and Honda hasn't figured out how to put HID's on any but a few of it's cars. The freaking Corolla has LED headlights and Mazda 3 has Xenons. The LEDs I speak of are HEADLIGHTS FOR BETTER NIGHT VISIBILITY IN DEER COUNTRY, not the pretty Audi inspired LED DRLs.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #3 of 29 Old 12-16-2014, 06:00 AM
4th Gear

Hmm wonder how long these will hold up. Make sure you report back to us.

2013 Honda Accord LX - WOP (Traded in 2015)

2015 Ford Explorer XLT - WPM

2016 Honda Accord Sport -WOP

post #4 of 29 Old 12-16-2014, 07:06 AM
Go Blue!

Can you post some pictures at night, please?
post #5 of 29 Old 12-16-2014, 07:38 AM
Thunder Up!

Honestly, I'd e-mail the company and show them your review. Tell them you're more interested (and everyone else here!) in the 'Black Edition' bulbs that are whiter & brighter. They might be willing to ship you a pair for comparisons sake, especially if it means advertisement for them.

I'd be interested to see the difference between the black edition & HID's in our halogen projectors. If it's a positive review with good pictures...I'm sure this company would have a few sales quick!

Looking at the 'Black Edition', it looks like it's also 6000k, but it's 60w instead of 40w. Not sure if CREE or LED in general acts like HID where at higher wattage your color temperature moves down a little. Maybe they already factored that in, maybe not. All the more reason for a review

'15 WOP v6 sedan
'17 Lux. XT5 AWD
post #6 of 29 Old 12-16-2014, 08:22 AM
Out of Control

Send a message via AIM to Throwdown
Nice, definitely love the way they look, especially at night. I think LED headlight bulbs will come a long way in the next few years to cover more distance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||

Don't see the parts you are looking for...
post #7 of 29 Old 12-16-2014, 08:33 AM
Out of Control

Interesting. I like LEDs, but after market, retrofit headlights always concern me from a performance and safety standpoint.

Not to worry, Markus will be along here shortly to sort this out.

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM
post #8 of 29 Old 12-16-2014, 08:40 AM
4th Gear

Maybe its the angle or the color of the garage door, but to me the LED bulbs like significantly dimmer than the halogens.

Id like to see a comparison at night. You would need a DSLR for the picture because you want to make sure the F-stop and shutter speed are the same when taking pictures. an phone or a point and shoot will compensate for the lack of light and adjust accordingly.

Jay
Stable:
2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport
2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS - Wife's car
2011 Raleigh XXIX SS rigid
post #9 of 29 Old 12-16-2014, 09:15 AM
AAG
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaizenblue402 View Post
Can you post some pictures at night, please?
I'll save you the disappointment. They suck for light output.
post #10 of 29 Old 12-16-2014, 09:16 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeZ View Post
Maybe its the angle or the color of the garage door, but to me the LED bulbs like significantly dimmer than the halogens.

Id like to see a comparison at night. You would need a DSLR for the picture because you want to make sure the F-stop and shutter speed are the same when taking pictures. an phone or a point and shoot will compensate for the lack of light and adjust accordingly.
I did not notice that but you are correct it seems.

I did a night comparo study among HID, LED, and halogen and for the OP, the best test IMO is to find a grassy knoll and do night pics there and a shot in your neighborhood illuminating a street sign or something far away to compare these bulbs to stock.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #11 of 29 Old 12-16-2014, 09:19 AM
Go Blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAG View Post
I'll save you the disappointment. They suck for light output.
Thanks. I've done the H11 to H9 conversion and the light output from that I am very pleased with. The only thing I want is a whiter, crisper light, which the H9 does better than the OEM H11, but doesn't compete with an LED or HID. I have a feeling if I used these LED bulbs then my light output would drastically decrease.
post #12 of 29 Old 12-16-2014, 09:33 AM
port & polish everything

They are not necessarily dimmer, the pictures are not exposure controlled, look at the accessory/fog lights for reference.

2003 LX eternal blue sedan - tsx intake manifold, dc sports header, fujita cold air intake, hondata and p2r heatshields, tls rear sway bar, 6mt strut bar, brembo rotors
2007 SE cool blue sedan - p2r heatshield, k&n drop in, no resonator
2010 LX-S belize blue coupe - bored throttle body, ported runners, hps silicone intake, aem drop in, tsx rear sway bar, ktuner.com
post #13 of 29 Old 12-16-2014, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Ok guys, here are a few more pictures. I know it's difficult to take pictures of lights at night but I tried to post up the ones that are accurate and look the closest to the amount of light I'm actually seeing in person. Although these are not as bright as HID's, they're really not bad and they're totally useable.

Despite the website saying these Blue editions are 40W, the box says 20W so who knows... And yes, it's not the highest quality item out there but they do get the job done.

Also, I didn't pay $80. With coupon code: GTXM2, you get 20% off and free shipping.

post #14 of 29 Old 12-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Retired G-Man

Any present-generation aftermarket LED without a huge heat sink is not going to be as bright as the H9 bulbs. The other problem of course is that the projectors perform properly only with halogen bulbs.

I hope that next year maybe, Accords will have optional LED headlights that we can use in our non-Touring 2013-15 cars.

2013 EX-L I4 Sedan W/Navi
Alabaster Silver Over Black
LED Strip Light, OEM Door Sill Trim, Philips H9 Lows,
Toshiba HIR1 Highs, Removed Fuse For DRL, exLEDusa
Interior And License Plate Kit, WeatherTech Floor Mats,
Husky Trunk Tray, V3 Triton DRL and Front and Rear Signals,
Debadged, Magnaflow 14" Dual Mufflers w/Magnaflow Oval Tips,
55% SunTek CarbonXP Tint, Upgraded Horns.
post #15 of 29 Old 12-16-2014, 01:14 PM
Thunder Up!

They'll still be expensive to purchase if not standard on your new car though

'15 WOP v6 sedan
'17 Lux. XT5 AWD
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.