Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-01-2014, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack

Thoughts on a Power Pack and do they work on the Accord HU (Sport)? No sub, just components up front and the rear speakers. This may sound dumb, but does the tweeters need to be amped as is each one take up one channel? Thanks.

Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-01-2014, 01:26 PM
3rd Gear

The alpine is a good amp. You will need to tap into the head unit wiring and run a power cable to the battery. you won't need an extra channel for the tweeters they should just branch off the componets.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cynema For This Useful Post:
ksimm033 (07-02-2014)
post #3 of 15 Old 07-01-2014, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynema View Post
The alpine is a good amp. You will need to tap into the head unit wiring and run a power cable to the battery. you won't need an extra channel for the tweeters they should just branch off the componets.
Is that something difficult to do? Ive read up on how to get the battery wire through the firewall, but not sure how to tap into the head unit.

post #4 of 15 Old 07-01-2014, 02:39 PM
Even My Mower Is a Honda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksimm033 View Post
Thoughts on a Power Pack and do they work on the Accord HU (Sport)? No sub, just components up front and the rear speakers. This may sound dumb, but does the tweeters need to be amped as is each one take up one channel? Thanks.
If you have an EX (You do not state trim in your sig or User Bio) the tweeter piggie backs off the 6.5" woofer harness. If you take the door panel off and speaker out you can see the wire go into the harness and then a wire set comes out and goes up the door to the tweeter. So, if you tap into the wires for the front speakers after the factory amp but before the factory 6.5" woofer harness the tweeter will run off the same amp channel as the 6.5" door speaker.

Jay

2013 Accord EX Sedan - 2.4L/Stick - Alabaster Silver
2013 Odyssey EX-L - 3.5L/5-Speed Auto - Taffeta White over Truffle
2008 Royal Star Venture - 1300cc - Very Dark Red/Black Metallic
post #5 of 15 Old 07-01-2014, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfreek View Post
If you have an EX (You do not state trim in your sig or User Bio) the tweeter piggie backs off the 6.5" woofer harness. If you take the door panel off and speaker out you can see the wire go into the harness and then a wire set comes out and goes up the door to the tweeter. So, if you tap into the wires for the front speakers after the factory amp but before the factory 6.5" woofer harness the tweeter will run off the same amp channel as the 6.5" door speaker.

Jay
I have the Sport. Putting in components, how do the tweeters get set up?
post #6 of 15 Old 07-01-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I have the Sport. Putting in components, how do the tweeters get set up?
The component set should come with (2) passive crossovers, one for each channel. On the crossover there will be an input terminal and two output terminals. One of the terminals will be for the tweeter and the other will be for the woofer/midrange. Connect the drivers to their respective terminals and you are good to go.

So one front channel for each component.

Jay

The Following User Says Thank You to karfreek For This Useful Post:
ksimm033 (07-02-2014)
post #7 of 15 Old 07-02-2014, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
The component set should come with (2) passive crossovers, one for each channel. On the crossover there will be an input terminal and two output terminals. One of the terminals will be for the tweeter and the other will be for the woofer/midrange. Connect the drivers to their respective terminals and you are good to go.

So one front channel for each component.

Jay
Thanks, you explained this very well. I appreciate the help.
The Following User Says Thank You to ksimm033 For This Useful Post:
karfreek (07-02-2014)
post #8 of 15 Old 07-02-2014, 05:46 AM
5th Gear

hey Karfreek, so the ex has a factory amp? Just wanted to make sure im reading your post right.

2014 Accord EX Sedan 6MT
72K Miles on it so far.

Mods
Accord Touring LED Headlights thanks to Hardtopguy for the harness
Accord Touring LED Tail lights thanks to Hardtopguy for the harness
Accord Leather Steering Wheel
Accord V6 Leather Shift Knob
Clazzio Seat Covers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CCH Sport Horn Upgrade Kit
Ktuned

Future Mods
Speaker Upgrades
Dash Cam

Past cars
08 Accord EX-L Sedan V6
02 Accord EX Sedan 5MT
post #9 of 15 Old 07-02-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks, you explained this very well. I appreciate the help.
No problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfs830 View Post
hey Karfreek, so the ex has a factory amp? Just wanted to make sure im reading your post right.
It is my understanding it does. I have not seen it in person but I have seen it called out in schematics and show on an "as built" diagram from Honda. Supposidly its mounted on the passengers side of the dash all the way over behind the glovebox by the firewall.

Jay

post #10 of 15 Old 07-02-2014, 07:49 AM
5th Gear

I see. So I might be ok with just doing a speaker upgrade now and then doing the small amp upgrade down the road. I still dont know what speakers I want to use. Did you do your speaker upgrade yet?

2014 Accord EX Sedan 6MT
72K Miles on it so far.

Mods
Accord Touring LED Headlights thanks to Hardtopguy for the harness
Accord Touring LED Tail lights thanks to Hardtopguy for the harness
Accord Leather Steering Wheel
Accord V6 Leather Shift Knob
Clazzio Seat Covers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CCH Sport Horn Upgrade Kit
Ktuned

Future Mods
Speaker Upgrades
Dash Cam

Past cars
08 Accord EX-L Sedan V6
02 Accord EX Sedan 5MT
post #11 of 15 Old 07-02-2014, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

New question: Will going from the stock 160 watt HU to a powerpack thats 180 watt make much of a difference?
post #12 of 15 Old 07-02-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfs830 View Post
I see. So I might be ok with just doing a speaker upgrade now and then doing the small amp upgrade down the road. I still dont know what speakers I want to use. Did you do your speaker upgrade yet?
Yes. The results were not good.

I installed my Components and its not good

Quote:
New question: Will going from the stock 160 watt HU to a powerpack thats 180 watt make much of a difference?
I would take the 160watt rating of our systems with a grain of salt. It is most likely 160peak watts and even then I am sure that it is at 1khz with 10% THD or something along those lines. The Alpine is rated at 45watts continuous. So that means all day long it is able to put out 45watts per channel at only 1% THD. Thats not fantastic, but its not bad for what your looking to accomplish.

The power pack is a good amp, but you may want to look at the Clarion XC1410. Its 50Wx4 RMS but with only .1% THD. So its playing a lot cleaner at 50W and its $20 cheaper than the Power Pack.

There a member who installed the power pack to their stock HU on here. Im not sure how active he is but maybe you want to see if he is happy with it.

Glossary: (Stolen from Crutchfield.com)

THD = Total Harmonic Distortion :The amount of change in harmonic content of the signal as it is amplified. A lower figure indicates less change and a more accurate amp. THD below 0.10% is inaudible.

RMS Power: The amount of continuous power, measured in watts, that an amplifier produces is called RMS power. The higher the RMS figure, the louder and cleaner your music sounds.

Peak Power: Stereo manufacturers often display peak power ratings on the face of their products. The peak power rating tells you the maximum wattage an amplifier can deliver as a brief burst during a musical peak, like a dramatic drum accent. The RMS figure is more significant.

The Following User Says Thank You to karfreek For This Useful Post:
rfs830 (07-02-2014)
post #13 of 15 Old 07-02-2014, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Yes. The results were not good.

I installed my Components and its not good

I would take the 160watt rating of our systems with a grain of salt. It is most likely 160peak watts and even then I am sure that it is at 1khz with 10% THD or something along those lines. The Alpine is rated at 45watts continuous. So that means all day long it is able to put out 45watts per channel at only 1% THD. Thats not fantastic, but its not bad for what your looking to accomplish.

The power pack is a good amp, but you may want to look at the Clarion XC1410. Its 50Wx4 RMS but with only .1% THD. So its playing a lot cleaner at 50W and its $20 cheaper than the Power Pack.

There a member who installed the power pack to their stock HU on here. Im not sure how active he is but maybe you want to see if he is happy with it.

Glossary: (Stolen from Crutchfield.com)

THD = Total Harmonic Distortion :The amount of change in harmonic content of the signal as it is amplified. A lower figure indicates less change and a more accurate amp. THD below 0.10% is inaudible.

RMS Power: The amount of continuous power, measured in watts, that an amplifier produces is called RMS power. The higher the RMS figure, the louder and cleaner your music sounds.

Peak Power: Stereo manufacturers often display peak power ratings on the face of their products. The peak power rating tells you the maximum wattage an amplifier can deliver as a brief burst during a musical peak, like a dramatic drum accent. The RMS figure is more significant.
You awesome, Thanks again. I was looking at the Clarion yesterday and wasn't sure what quality of product they produce but for $89 on Amazon compared to $150 for the powerpack on Crutchfield (when authorized retailers are considered) it's worth a shot. I should be installing everything within the next couple weeks. Hopefully it will be the answer (with some sound deadening and new speakers) for a person who just wants overall better sound, a beginner project and budget friendly solution.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-02-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
You awesome, Thanks again. I was looking at the Clarion yesterday and wasn't sure what quality of product they produce but for $89 on Amazon compared to $150 for the powerpack on Crutchfield (when authorized retailers are considered) it's worth a shot. I should be installing everything within the next couple weeks. Hopefully it will be the answer (with some sound deadening and new speakers) for a person who just wants overall better sound, a beginner project and budget friendly solution.
No problem.

20 years ago I used to eat, sleep and live for car audio. I am just starting to get back into it again

In the 90s Clarion made a pretty good head unit and I installed a few and my brother had one in his Daytona. (the first person I knew to have an indash CD player, he was a God in my circle) Crutchfield sells the Clarion amp $129 and it gets hella good reviews. It may be worth getting it from them for the tech support and ability to send it back in 60-days if you dont like it.

Good luck!

Jay

post #15 of 15 Old 07-04-2014, 06:23 PM
4th Gear

The Clarion looks like a good choice but the Alpine can be bridged to give 90w a channel which is nice. Definitely like the small size. Would the Polk DB6501 be good with either of these knowing that the 6501 is 100watt RMS?

2017 Accord EX-L Sensing
2013 Accord EX-L NAV

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.