Last check - no overheating problems with H9 bulbs in our cars? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 04-28-2014, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
2014 V6 EXL Sedan

Last check - no overheating problems with H9 bulbs in our cars?

About to hit "buy" on Amazon for a pair of H9 bulbs but wanted to do one last check to make sure nobody has had ill effects from them, like problems with the wiring or heat problems at the projector.

I realize this might should go in the lighting section but I needed a quick affirmation from people who are running H9s right now......and those subforums sometimes go unnoticed for awhile from the general population

thanks

Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-28-2014, 01:07 PM
4th Gear

Nope. Order them. Probably the single best bang for the buck thing you can do on these cars.

2013 Accord EX-L Coupe
post #3 of 30 Old 04-28-2014, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
2014 V6 EXL Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackb911 View Post
Nope. Order them. Probably the single best bang for the buck thing you can do on these cars.
Thanks. Cost is very reasonable, just don't want to pay for it through the nose by melting my headlights.

Do they work on Odysseys too (2005-2010 with the larger bowl reflectors) or do they require projector lamps?

post #4 of 30 Old 04-28-2014, 01:23 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyV6 View Post
Thanks. Cost is very reasonable, just don't want to pay for it through the nose by melting my headlights.

Do they work on Odysseys too (2005-2010 with the larger bowl reflectors) or do they require projector lamps?
As a replacement for any H11, but there needs to be either a glare shield in front of the tip of the bulb or use projectors.

I don't know what the Odyssey for low beams, some Hondas use other sizes. For example I used Philips HIR bulbs as replacement for a 9006 in my 2013 Civic Si.

2013 Accord EX-L Coupe
post #5 of 30 Old 04-28-2014, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
2014 V6 EXL Sedan

Quote:
As a replacement for any H11, but there needs to be either a glare shield in front of the tip of the bulb or use projectors.

I don't know what the Odyssey for low beams, some Hondas use other sizes. For example I used Philips HIR bulbs as replacement for a 9006 in my 2013 Civic Si.
Actually I think the Ody uses 9006 so then I need the "high power" version of whatever that is, maybe it is HIRs.
post #6 of 30 Old 04-28-2014, 03:02 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Actually I think the Ody uses 9006 so then I need the "high power" version of whatever that is, maybe it is HIRs.
The high powered 9006 replacement is a 9012, aka HIR bulb. Just google 9006 to 9012 or HIR and you'll find plenty of info.

2013 Accord EX-L Coupe
post #7 of 30 Old 04-29-2014, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
2014 V6 EXL Sedan

Quote:
The high powered 9006 replacement is a 9012, aka HIR bulb. Just google 9006 to 9012 or HIR and you'll find plenty of info.

Put in the order for the H9. Will let you know once I install it. Thanks

On the 9012 for the Odyssey I came across a posting of Daniel Stern the auto lighting guru who basically said that you shouldn't use a 9012 in the Odyssey because the bowl reflector will have too much glare for other drivers. Therefore unless I can find some people who have them in their Odysseys and have no problem, I'll probably drop that project and just stick with stock weakling lights in that vehicle
post #8 of 30 Old 04-29-2014, 09:18 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Put in the order for the H9. Will let you know once I install it. Thanks

On the 9012 for the Odyssey I came across a posting of Daniel Stern the auto lighting guru who basically said that you shouldn't use a 9012 in the Odyssey because the bowl reflector will have too much glare for other drivers. Therefore unless I can find some people who have them in their Odysseys and have no problem, I'll probably drop that project and just stick with stock weakling lights in that vehicle
The Odyssey headlamps have a reflector cap over the bulb, so I don't see how there would be an issue with the 9012's. I was running 9012's in my 8G Accord with no ill effects, and the reflector design was very similar to the Odyssey's. 9012 bulbs are brighter than 9006's, but nothing like putting an HID kit in a halogen reflector housing. Now THAT is blinding to other drivers...

2017 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan - White Orchid Pearl/Ivory
KTuner, Philips Vision LED License Plate and Reverse Lights, Philips X-Treme Ultinon T20 Amber Rear Turn Signals, Sylvania ZEVO 7440R Brake Lights, exLED 3K LED Interior Kit, Sylvania ZEVO Red LED Door Courtesy Lights
post #9 of 30 Old 04-29-2014, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
2014 V6 EXL Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH23 View Post
The Odyssey headlamps have a reflector cap over the bulb, so I don't see how there would be an issue with the 9012's. I was running 9012's in my 8G Accord with no ill effects, and the reflector design was very similar to the Odyssey's. 9012 bulbs are brighter than 9006's, but nothing like putting an HID kit in a halogen reflector housing. Now THAT is blinding to other drivers...
I dunno - I realize this Daniel Stern guy is pretty, umm, Stern about issues related to lighting. I can't find the link again with his post, but he was pretty clear that he thought the bowl on the Odyssey wasn't precise enough and doesn't have a sharp cutoff, therefore almost doubling the lumens will increase the "scatter" light to an unsafe level. He said you could angle your headlights down but that defeats the purpose of adding more light.

I'll do some more searching. I also see that the first generation of HIR bulbs made by Toshiba have been scrapped, but now Philips is making a new version of 9012 that may or may not even BE HIR?
post #10 of 30 Old 04-29-2014, 09:56 AM
2nd Gear

I've had nokya arctic white h9s in my projectors for about 5 months now. They are significantly brighter and whiter than stock and brighter than Hen titaniums. Best cheapest mod. They have a slight blue hue but they do really look like 5k hids. I also have nokya h9 hyper yellows in my fogs. Brighter than my nokya h9 hyper yellows but not as yellow lol. Great simple mods! The housings get warm but not hot and I run my fogs when my heads are on all the time (mainly for looks) and no problems!

Sent from
post #11 of 30 Old 04-29-2014, 10:15 AM
4th Gear

Here's mention of Stern's site: Conversion of OEM Low Beam H11 to H9 Halogen Bulb

I assume you bought these Philips H9's?

If so please report back how you tinkered them to fit. iirc there's a plastic tab you gotta remove. If you bought diff brand that requires no tinkering, please advise that too!
post #12 of 30 Old 04-29-2014, 10:48 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat9thGen View Post
Here's mention of Stern's site: Conversion of OEM Low Beam H11 to H9 Halogen Bulb

I assume you bought these Philips H9's?

If so please report back how you tinkered them to fit. iirc there's a plastic tab you gotta remove. If you bought diff brand that requires no tinkering, please advise that too!
All H9's require slight modification, but it's easy. The H9 base itself is slightly different than an H11 which is why the slight modification is required.

The Philips 9012 (9006 replacement) is an HIR bulb, yes manufacturers have changed over the years. I believe it was originally GE technology, an attempt to get HID bulb intensity from a halogen bulb. Toshiba, Philips, and others have produced them. I ran Philips 9012 in my 2013 Civic Si with great results.

In my 2013 Accords I've ran:
  1. Morimoto H11 HID kit
  2. OEM Touring LEDs
  3. Philips H9s
  4. Full 4th Gen Acura TL HID Retrofit(TL Projectors, Morimoto D2S Ballasts, HD relay, Osram Xenarc D2S bulbs)(My current setup)

End result? For the money, the H9's cannot be beat(~$15 pair)... Sure it's not crisp white light like HID, but the intensity there. It's function over form. The actual lumen output will far exceed ANY H11 "Cool Blue" "White" or other coated bulbs that are sold at auto stores.

Hands down the best bang for the buck thing you can do.

2013 Accord EX-L Coupe
post #13 of 30 Old 04-29-2014, 11:21 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
I dunno - I realize this Daniel Stern guy is pretty, umm, Stern about issues related to lighting. I can't find the link again with his post, but he was pretty clear that he thought the bowl on the Odyssey wasn't precise enough and doesn't have a sharp cutoff, therefore almost doubling the lumens will increase the "scatter" light to an unsafe level. He said you could angle your headlights down but that defeats the purpose of adding more light.

I'll do some more searching. I also see that the first generation of HIR bulbs made by Toshiba have been scrapped, but now Philips is making a new version of 9012 that may or may not even BE HIR?
Hahaha. He definitely knows his stuff when it comes to lighting, so I'd trust his advice. I didn't find them to be all that much brighter than the stock 9006 bulbs. The Accord's reflectors had a pretty good cutoff for reflectors though and the 9012's filled out the beam pattern nicely.

The new Philips 9012 bulbs are no longer HIRs like the old Toshibas with the spherical glass and reflective coating. They just use a new-generation filament design that's superior to the 9006's design that's been around for decades. Apparently, from what I read, the filament design is shared with the H7, H8, H9, and H11. That said, it makes me wonder what makes them brighter than the H11s that are standard in the 9th gen Accord...

KTuner, Philips Vision LED License Plate and Reverse Lights, Philips X-Treme Ultinon T20 Amber Rear Turn Signals, Sylvania ZEVO 7440R Brake Lights, exLED 3K LED Interior Kit, Sylvania ZEVO Red LED Door Courtesy Lights
post #14 of 30 Old 04-29-2014, 11:25 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
All H9's require slight modification, but it's easy. The H9 base itself is slightly different than an H11 which is why the slight modification is required.

The Philips 9012 (9006 replacement) is an HIR bulb, yes manufacturers have changed over the years. I believe it was originally GE technology, an attempt to get HID bulb intensity from a halogen bulb. Toshiba, Philips, and others have produced them. I ran Philips 9012 in my 2013 Civic Si with great results.

In my 2013 Accords I've ran:
  1. Morimoto H11 HID kit
  2. OEM Touring LEDs
  3. Philips H9s
  4. Full 4th Gen Acura TL HID Retrofit(TL Projectors, Morimoto D2S Ballasts, HD relay, Osram Xenarc D2S bulbs)(My current setup)

End result? For the money, the H9's cannot be beat(~$15 pair)... Sure it's not crisp white light like HID, but the intensity there. It's function over form. The actual lumen output will far exceed ANY H11 "Cool Blue" "White" or other coated bulbs that are sold at auto stores.

Hands down the best bang for the buck thing you can do.
Is it true that HIDs in the stock halogen projectors are actually worse than the stock bulbs in terms of usable light? I've read that a lot of people think that they put too much light down in the foreground and are bad for distance vision. What are your thoughts on the output of HIDs in the stock projectors?

post #15 of 30 Old 04-29-2014, 11:44 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH23 View Post
Is it true that HIDs in the stock halogen projectors are actually worse than the stock bulbs in terms of usable light? I've read that a lot of people think that they put too much light down in the foreground and are bad for distance vision. What are your thoughts on the output of HIDs in the stock projectors?
Worse? It's possible, but I find it highly unlikely.
Halogens shine with a hot spot right in front of you and then the light dissipates quickly from those hot spots, same thing when you stick an HID kit in there. This is where real a HID projector retrofit shines, literally. They take all that light and reflect it in a very even and uniform manner. No more "hot spots" just light every where below a razor sharp cutoff. It's a night and day difference...

I've ran HID kits in halogen projectors in the past, but personally I'd advise against it and in favor of the H9's though, due to the; cost, reliability, and potential for blinding others. The problem is many want "form over function", they desire the color and look of HIDs which can't be replicated by a halogen unless you coat/tint the bulb which then in turn decreases the lumen output.

I personally advocate 2 options:
  1. H9's if you want a quick, cheap, reliable headlight upgrade. For $15 you can't beat it.
  2. If you have the time, money, and skill then do a 4th Gen Acura TL projector retrofit with D2S components. This will yield the best results, though it will cost (~$400+) and does require both skills and balls to bake open your headlights.

2013 Accord EX-L Coupe
The Following User Says Thank You to Zackb911 For This Useful Post:
TH23 (05-01-2014)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.