DIY Sirius XM Antenna - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-12-2014, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
14 CBP SPRT ( . Y . )

DIY Sirius XM Antenna

so i finally got my homemade sirius antenna installed this morning.
here's the info in case you are thinking of doing something simililar:
so i have a 14 sport with no sirius.
i have an after market sirus radio in my car and i have the infamous big round antenna on my roof. i hated this look.
so i took some of the steps to a DIY thread from Scott (can't find the thread on DA anymore) and applied it to what i wanted to do.
his thread was actually using an OEM antenna and he drilled a hole is his roof etc and installed the antenna this way.
all i wanted was something to cover my magnet.
ebay shark fins were too cheap looking so i decided to make my own.

so here's what i did:
-i ordered this part from honda 39150-TA0-A21ZB (B FOR BLACK)
the part was $35 dollars. this part includes an XM antenna already installed and is meant for an accord that has sirius already built in.
-i undid the 4 small screws and emptied the insides. after, i was left with the plastic piece and the rubber padding that sits on the roof of the car.
-i used a small dremel to cut out some of the small plastic walls inside the plastic antenna as these walls held in the XM antenna.
-i then purchased a smaller sirius antenna as the big round circle would not fit underneath this antenna.
-once the antenna wire was installed in the car and the magnet was on the roof, i left enough room from the magnet to the back of the antenna
-i glued the magnet to the plastic antenna. i let this sit for a day to be sure it was secure.
-once that was dry, i carefully placed the magnet/antenna on the roof and moved to be lined up and centre.

what i like best is the antenna is the same colour as my car and the size of the antenna is not too big.
you see a lot of antennas that are massive and stick out like a sore thumb.

anyhow, here are some pics of the finsihed product installed...i didnt take any pictures while taking apart the piece as it is pretty simple. and i was hoping to cut and paste Scotts original thread as it was very helpful. but i still can't find the thread.
the signal is also perfect!!!!

thanks for reading!

edit...i was able to locate Scott C's thread...thanks for the great idea Scott!
Installing the Honda XM (satellite) Radio “Shark Fin” Antenna

Attached Images
The Following User Says Thank You to djkev21 For This Useful Post:
Gearhead82 (03-12-2014)
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-12-2014, 02:00 PM
3rd Gear

Wow, very cool. What smaller non-big round circle XM antenna did you buy? My Sirius radio and antenna are arriving soon, so I may go this route instead of sticking the big round magnet antenna on my trunk. Also, which Sirius/Xm radio are you using?

Thanks and subbed!
Alex

2013 Sport, manual, black.

Shifter cut
TL Shift Knob
19mm TL swaybar
WeatherTech Mats
Horn upgrade
Polk DB651s in rear
SiriusXM

post #3 of 9 Old 03-12-2014, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
14 CBP SPRT ( . Y . )

Here is a link to the part I bought. Just search Sirius antennas and you will get the part number.
And I am using the sportster 6 radio

post #4 of 9 Old 03-12-2014, 06:47 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkev21 View Post
Here is a link to the part I bought. Just search Sirius antennas and you will get the part number.
And I am using the sportster 6 radio

Awesome. So, another question for you...where did you run the antenna wire through the interior? Obviously it originates in the headliner, but where did you pull into the radio area; the A pillar, the B pillar? Thanks a ton!!

I ordered the Stratus model. Still figuring out how to run the wires without it being a total mess of cables on the dash (I have an external Garmin as well, so that doesn't help).

Alex

2013 Sport, manual, black.

Shifter cut
TL Shift Knob
19mm TL swaybar
WeatherTech Mats
Horn upgrade
Polk DB651s in rear
SiriusXM

post #5 of 9 Old 03-13-2014, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
14 CBP SPRT ( . Y . )

i have my radio on the drivers side vent, so i have the wires running down the steering wheel, done behind the fuse box and then down thru the floor panel.
i come up at the rearseat and up behind it thru to the trunk.
then i have it coming out the trunk and it is hidden by the gap of the frame and window (not sure of the proper terms sorry).
there is just enough wire to go this route.
this is the same route for speakers.
hope that helps a little
post #6 of 9 Old 10-21-2014, 07:33 PM
4th Gear

Sorry to revive an old thread, am I assuming right, to say that you just glued the cover from the OEM one on top of the smaller standard XM antenna? You didn't cut any holes in your roof, correct?
post #7 of 9 Old 10-22-2014, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
14 CBP SPRT ( . Y . )

thats correct jmatteis..no holes or cutting of the roof.
i used black silicone (not glue sorry) to attach the black antenna cover to the magnet....it has stuck very well since installing it....nothing has fallen off or shifted out of place....plus the magnet is very strong.
good luck
post #8 of 9 Old 10-22-2014, 06:23 PM
4th Gear

I like the look of it, I wish someone made just a cover, rather than spending the money on a whole antenna. May do this in the future.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-23-2014, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
14 CBP SPRT ( . Y . )

well even thought you spend $35 for the part, at least you know the colour is going to match your car perfectly
worth it to me
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.