4G TL HID Projector Retrofit - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
19Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 309 Old 12-15-2013, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

4G TL HID Projector Retrofit

I've decided to retrofit my headlights with proper HID projectors and make some other changes while I have the headlights opened. I bought a spare set of 4cyl headlights that I'll be working with thanks to a kind member who happens to live nearby and had an extra set after his Touring swap. This is the first time I've done a retrofit or opened up a set of headlights so I'm learning as I go.

It turns out the 4th Gen Acura TL ('09+) HID projectors bolt right in place of the Accord's oem halogen projectors which saves a lot of the customization work that's usually required for a retrofit. I (hopefully) have a set on their way to me. They were listed as Acura MDX projectors on ebay but the pictures are identical to the TL ones. It was my understanding that MDX projectors are different, so either I'm wrong about that, or the seller had the wrong pictures up on ebay. I guess I'l find out soon enough!

I'm planning on installing a DRL strip light of some kind, getting rid of the amber colored reflector inside the housing (which I've wanted to do since I bought the car) and probably cutting back on the amount of chrome inside the housing (but nothing drastic).

I have 1 light opened up so far. Here is a pic of all the pieces that make up the headlight:

I ordered a couple things that will let me power my projectors/lights inside so I can play around with different strip light options and check the output of the projectors before I install them. I bought this 12V power supply and adapter from Amazon. It fired up a 55W HID ballast without any problem. Links below the pics:

I'm leaning towards an LED strip for the DRL. I ordered a cheap 16' roll of 5050 SMD led lights that can be trimmed to length. I'm guessing this is similar to what a lot of the pre-made strips are made from that people have been installing. They're bright indoors and probably visible during the day but I don't think they will really be great on a bright day. I mostly bought them so I can play around with them and find the best way to secure them for when I find the right ones. One thing I'm concerned about is that they run pretty hot. After running them for a couple hours the bottom of the plastic strip light housing that they were adhered to was about 130F and that was inside the house. I don't think that would cause too much trouble but I'm wondering if higher power ones might run too warm for this application.

A couple pics of them in the strip light housing. Note: I actually have 2 led strips inside the strip housing for this test. The reflective housing is tough to photograph because of all the chrome.

These aren't as blue as they look in the pic, but they are fairly blue. Probably about 6500k.

I've ordered a few feet of these which should be much brighter, whiter, and hopefully not too much hotter.

Bonus pic:
Output of oem halogen projector with 4300k HID bulb (35W ballast) from a couple feet away.

I'll update this thread as I progess.

bpearl6-6 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gearhead82 For This Useful Post:
bpearl6-6 (04-03-2015)
Advertisement

post #2 of 309 Old 12-15-2013, 03:38 PM
?????

anxious to see the light output of those flexfire led

13 Accord EX CBP Sedan
post #3 of 309 Old 12-15-2013, 03:58 PM
2nd Gear

Subscribed.

post #4 of 309 Old 12-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Stock Pssh...Yeah right!

I also sub'd..thank you for doing this...add a before and after (on table) so members can see the difference between what a real retro-fit and OEM halogen projectors look like. That glare is hideous on the oem...shhhhhhiet man!
post #5 of 309 Old 12-15-2013, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport2013 View Post
I also sub'd..thank you for doing this...add a before and after (on table) so members can see the difference between what a real retro-fit and OEM halogen projectors look like. That glare is hideous on the oem...shhhhhhiet man!
Yeah the HID will be better but actually that's a pretty bad pic of the halogen projector. It looks a lot better from about 10' away and those weird artifacts way up high are from slots in the projector that are normally covered by a shroud in the housing. Plus the projector is pointed slightly up toward the wall instead of straight on. I'll get some better pics soon.
post #6 of 309 Old 12-15-2013, 05:13 PM
JaeDM

looking forward to seeing results. Love DIY retrofits.

2013 Honda Accord Sport 6MT
KTuner (results coming in soon!)
Borla Exhaust 11840
Takeda Intake
OEM Rear Deflector
OEM Si wheels with Hankook I-pikes (winter set up)
Tein Springs (Not Installed)
Sport Grill
Suntek 35% Tint
Boston Acoustic SPG555 Sub woofer
Boston Acoustic GT28 Amp
Husky All-Weather Floor mats
TL Shift Knob
post #7 of 309 Old 12-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Out of Control

Now I have it figured out. TL HID projectors that bolt in are a great way to eliminate the issue of HIDs in a halogen projector.

That is a lot of work and I magine it is going to be well worth it.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #8 of 309 Old 12-15-2013, 05:43 PM
2nd Gear

I have a set of TL projectors wonder if they would work. Might have to Google 09 TL projectors.

Are these it?
post #9 of 309 Old 12-15-2013, 06:58 PM
4th Gear

I liked the TL projectors so much I got a pair. In a 2010 TL Tech package.

The wife's TL, my EX next to it.
teezythakidd likes this.
post #10 of 309 Old 12-15-2013, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by defvayne View Post
I have a set of TL projectors wonder if they would work. Might have to Google 09 TL projectors.

Are these it?
Yes those are the correct projectors.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gearhead82 For This Useful Post:
teezythakidd (01-09-2015)
post #11 of 309 Old 12-15-2013, 07:23 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead82 View Post
Yes those are the correct projectors.
Do you know what size the lens is 2.5" or 3"?
post #12 of 309 Old 12-15-2013, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by defvayne View Post
do you know what size the lens is 2.5" or 3"?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gearhead82 For This Useful Post:
defvayne (12-15-2013), teezythakidd (01-09-2015)
post #13 of 309 Old 12-15-2013, 07:45 PM
4th Gear

Nice! Looks like you beat me to the punch, lol. I'll be interested to see your results with the MDX projectors. If they turn out to be the same, I may just end up cancelling my TRS order instead and opting for an alternative like those MDX's. My order got pushed back yet another week, and I am growing really impatient at this point.

2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Sedan ASM - Naomi
RV6 PCDs | HID Retrofit: Custom 4G Acura TL "Mini H1/Bi-Xenon" Projectors - TSX-R Clear Lens - Denso Slim D2S - Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI 5000K | Acura TLX V6 25.4 mm RSB | Husky WeatherBeater | Cargo Hooks | Horn Upgrade | Full Interior LEDs | Debaged
post #14 of 309 Old 12-15-2013, 07:50 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead82 View Post
Thanks. I have a set of tl projectors and trs clear lenses 2.5" going to see if they fit. Might have to order a spare headlight. Good luck on the project.
post #15 of 309 Old 12-15-2013, 11:01 PM
3rd Gear

how long do you need to bake the headlight?

2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6
H11 morimoto HID 5000k | Exled interior 5000k | Weather Tech ( Floorliner ) | 5000k V3 Triton Switchback |
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.