New Dash Camera - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 215 Old 07-11-2013, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Blinded by the light

New Dash Camera

I decided to purchase a dash camera for my coupe, so I did some research and ended up purchasing the Lucas LK 7900 ACE (built in GPS). I tested it temporarily in the lighter socket and was pleased with the results. The next challenge was to set it up permanently. I figured I would post this for members/guests looking to tap into an ignition power source (rather than constant 12v).

I ran the wire near the rear view mirror and under the hood liner to the left. I pried off the pillar. Once it's off make sure to take the white fastener at the top off of the car and place it back into the slot on the pillar before reattaching, and don't push it all the way down while removing it or it will lock (this took me a while to figure out).

I took off the bottom kick boards under the steering wheel and started looking for larger wires. I would then test the voltage with the car off and in accessory mode. I found the low gauge red wire that connects to the fusebox/multiplexer (or whatever they call it now) had 12v only after the ignition was in on position.

After removing the harness from the fusebox (pull the white tap to the left) I had to remove the red wire from the harness. That turned out to be very easy, you just need to lift the green clip on the front up and push the metal connector back and it slides out (much easier than my old Accord). I soldered the high gauge camera wire to the side of the metal connector, made sure it was secure, then reconnected everything.

I tested for a ground and found that the fuse box screw would be adequate

Turned on the car, and it works great!

2013 Accord Coupe V6
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-

-

-

-

2013 Triumph Street Triple
-Doesn't need any mods...
Advertisement

post #2 of 215 Old 07-11-2013, 07:12 PM
6th Gear

I put mine in today as well. DOD LS300W. Wanted the Blackvue 500 but there is just too many issues with Blackvue and I was tired of waiting for them to get their act together. I installed mine on a very short mount that attaches to the plastic cover that covers the fcw camera behind the rear view mirror. The wire goes up the same location where the autodim mirror wire is, completely hidden, then around window, and into the center arm rest console 12v jack. This way there will be no issues with dealer and warranty. Took maybe 10mins to install. The Lukas looks like a nice came too. Where did you get it! my goal is to move my dod to the rear once a good reliable cam with wifi and gps is out.

2015 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD Elite
2013 'Hemie' Accord Touring V6 - Canadian - Retired
post #3 of 215 Old 07-11-2013, 07:12 PM
on2
banned

How is the quality from that cam?

post #4 of 215 Old 07-11-2013, 07:16 PM
3rd Gear

Nice choice of dash cam, I'm still looking for one.. Blackvue DR500GW-HD and Vicovation Vico-WF1 is way out of my budget, same goes with Lukas LK-7900 :/ Right now, I think I narrowed down to some cheap Chinese brand that people on other forum recommended.

Less than $150 range
DOD LS300W/Shadow GT300W
Shadow GT450W
SJ1000

$150+
JAEWONCNC IROAD IONE-3800FU

Still am doing more research on what to get, wanting to get one before my next car
post #5 of 215 Old 07-11-2013, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Blinded by the light

Quote:
Originally Posted by on2 View Post
How is the quality from that cam?
The quality is good, until it gets hot. That's mostly true with all dash cameras though.

They've updated the firmware a lot since this review, but the video quality is about the same (be sure to download the dropbox copy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
I put mine in today as well. DOD LS300W. Wanted the Blackvue 500 but there is just too many issues with Blackvue and I was tired of waiting for them to get their act together. I installed mine on a very short mount that attaches to the plastic cover that covers the fcw camera behind the rear view mirror. The wire goes up the same location where the autodim mirror wire is, completely hidden, then around window, and into the center arm rest console 12v jack. This way there will be no issues with dealer and warranty. Took maybe 10mins to install. The Lukas looks like a nice came too. Where did you get it! my goal is to move my dod to the rear once a good reliable cam with wifi and gps is out.
I thought about how the dealer might give me a hard time, but I don't think they will say it voids the warranty. If I'm having electrical issues, I'll just rip the two wires out and bring it in. I picked it up off ebay from greensum (I recommend them for their customer service!). I got it at $180 since I tried the IONE-3800FU and it was out of focus. Close objects were sharp but anything further than 15 ft was very blurry all the time, in and out of the car. This one is much better but it's still difficult to get plates while moving.

2013 Accord Coupe V6
-

-

-

-

-

-

2013 Triumph Street Triple
-Doesn't need any mods...
post #6 of 215 Old 07-12-2013, 05:34 AM
MJL
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to MJL
i have the same cam and i really like it. i went with that one because the developer releases firmware updates and seems to really take an interest in the consumers requests. plus ive not heard any issue with it and mine has been great so far.

i ended up running my positive wire to the keyless entry fuse so i could keep the camera on constant power. i figure theres no point to getting a nice cam and not using all the features like motion capture and parking mode too.

2013 Accord Ex 4cyl 6spd MT Coupe - 20mm RSB - Short shift adapter.

Old- 2005 Accord EX-L 4cyl 5-Spd - MP3 player adapter - 17mm TL Rear Sway Bar - V6 6spd Tower Strut Bar - Infinity Kappa 6x9s - Polk DB6500 front components door and tweets - Infinity BassLink II w/4sc - Neuspeed Short Shifter - Blue Gauges and Ambient Light
post #7 of 215 Old 07-12-2013, 05:59 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the write up. I might use it to set mine up so it's not plugged in to the power outlet all the time.

I swear by dash cams too and have been using them long enough that I feel naked driving without them.

I got a CR500hd from FineVu last year and think it's the best cam I've owned to date. I didn't want active GPS for mine but I know it can be added on.
post #8 of 215 Old 07-12-2013, 06:22 AM
7th Gear

Why a Dash cam?

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
post #9 of 215 Old 07-12-2013, 06:49 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamacre View Post
Why a Dash cam?

post #10 of 215 Old 07-12-2013, 06:49 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Why a Dash cam?
That was my question too. Aren't we perhaps a little information over-loaded?

2017 Toyota Highlander XLE. Yeah, so call me a traitor!!
2013 Accord Sedan EX-L Nav., Basque Red Pearl II; 100,000 miles
2004 Odyssey EX-L, Havasu Blue Metallic, 245,000 miles when my eldest son took it over
1998 Accord LX Sedan 5-speed, Heather Mist Metallic; went to live with my youngest son. Died Jan. 2015 with 246,000+, (right front axle broke).
post #11 of 215 Old 07-12-2013, 07:05 AM
7th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
Sorry, I think that is playing and paying into parinoia.

In 40 years of driving I have never crossed any of those paths listed for needing one.

To each their own.

Thanks for the explanation, though.

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
post #12 of 215 Old 07-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Crosseyed and Gearless

Quote:

In 40 years of driving I have never crossed any of those paths listed for needing one.
Things have changed quite a bit over the last 40 years, in today's litigious society $200 on a dash cam could be considered cheap insurance!
post #13 of 215 Old 07-12-2013, 10:28 AM
banned

Quote:

To each their own.

Thanks for the explanation, though.
Really? after 40 years?
I've been driving about 12 years now and I have had numerous occasions where I wished I had a dash cam.

To each his own
post #14 of 215 Old 07-12-2013, 11:05 AM
6th Gear

Some insurance companies are now offering discounts if you have a dash cam. They are still fairly new in North America, but mark my word, 5yrs from now you'll see these as standard as a backup camera is now.

They are also good for winning arguments with the woman! You know that conversation where she says you said this or didn't say that....well, the dashcam records EVERYTHING with audio.

post #15 of 215 Old 07-12-2013, 11:07 AM
banned

^ lol

but it also records that scenic rode you took home and why you were late :P

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.