Conversion of OEM Low Beam H11 to H9 Halogen Bulb - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
8Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 197 Old 07-01-2013, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Retired G-Man

Conversion of OEM Low Beam H11 to H9 Halogen Bulb

Recently I have received questions from several forum members about the conversion from OEM low beam H11 halogen bulbs to brighter H9 halogen bulbs. This OEM H11 is 1,350 lumens; the replacement H9 bulb is 2,100 lumens (see below).

The H9 bulb is available from Amazon for $7.26 each, with free shipping if you have Prime. If not, you will need an order of $25 for free shipping (buy 4 and have spares or share).

Converting to H9 bulbs instead of HID has the disadvantage of having a yellower light than HID. Although H9 light is whiter than H11, it is not as white as HID. The advantages include a better light throw since the Accord projectors are for halogen, not HID. The H9 fitment is the same as the H11; not true of HIDs. The other advantage is the lower initial cost of less than $15.

I am including some back up material below from Daniel Stern Lighting and some pictures from the NASIOC Subaru forum showing the simple mod needed to convert the H9s. The night pictures are of Subaru low beams so they are not directly applicable to our Accord, but give a general idea of H11 low beams (first) and then H9 low beams.

My question and an email response from Daniel Stern concerning '13 Accord low beams:

My question: What do you recommend for a better low beam bulb in a 2013 Accord, which are now H11 55w Stanleys?

Stern's email answer: Your low beams take a 1350-lumen H11 bulb. You can easily, safely, and effectively replace this with a 2100-lumen H9 bulb, which you ought to be able to find locally by seeking the high beam bulb for a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu.

Use a good brand (GE, Philips, Osram-Sylvania) and stick to colorless clear bulbs, not any kind of "whiter light" bulb such as the Sylvania Silver Star scam.

Can also get online, .You may need to shave a small ridge of plastic off the H9 bulb's connector so that the H11 socket will snap on. Other than that, it's a direct swap.

The only disadvantage is shorter low beam bulb life — the H11 is optimised for very long life with relatively modest light output, while the H9 is optimised for very high output with relatively short life.

Note that the H9 swap is not universal; it works well in projector-type low beams but is not safe in most reflector-type low beams or in fog lamps of any type.

(End of Stern's answer).

Daniel Stern Lighting web site:

NASIOC discussion and pictures:

Attached Images
sub786 and tazman808 like this.

2013 EX-L I4 Sedan W/Navi
Alabaster Silver Over Black
LED Strip Light, OEM Door Sill Trim, Philips H9 Lows,
Toshiba HIR1 Highs, Removed Fuse For DRL, exLEDusa
Interior And License Plate Kit, WeatherTech Floor Mats,
Husky Trunk Tray, V3 Triton DRL and Front and Rear Signals,
Debadged, Magnaflow 14" Dual Mufflers w/Magnaflow Oval Tips,
55% SunTek CarbonXP Tint, Upgraded Horns.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ExFed For This Useful Post:
DRIVE_ACCORD (10-24-2014), josby (04-30-2015), karfreek (04-26-2014), lexoman (01-13-2015), Richard Jackson (09-16-2017), teezythakidd (12-25-2014)
Advertisement

post #2 of 197 Old 07-01-2013, 05:05 PM
4th Gear

An excellent mod and one of my first. The difference in light output significant and readily apparent. Best $15 l ever spent.

post #3 of 197 Old 07-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Retired from Car Biz....

a very good mod for those that want lumens and are night drivers...I need white light rather than more light...hence HID's for me....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My DD:'16 Camaro

post #4 of 197 Old 07-01-2013, 05:26 PM
banned

How is the longevity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebowski View Post
An excellent mod and one of my first. The difference in light output significant and readily apparent. Best $15 l ever spent.
Is H9 just as durable (long lasting) as H11?
post #5 of 197 Old 07-01-2013, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Retired G-Man

From Stern above:

"The only disadvantage is shorter low beam bulb life — the H11 is optimised for very long life with relatively modest light output, while the H9 is optimised for very high output with relatively short life."

post #6 of 197 Old 07-01-2013, 05:38 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Runner View Post
No, but being able to see at night more than makes up for any decrease in bulb life.
post #7 of 197 Old 07-01-2013, 05:48 PM
on2
banned

HIDs, increased lumens, increased aesthetics, increased clarity with whiter output (if 4300K-5000K)

While this mod is welcomed and recommended by anti-HID folks, HIDs offer more benefits for not much cost.

Lighting purist (read: XXXXXXXXXX) claim HIDs aren't made for factory halogen projectors, XXXX them, as long as the light doesn't blind people or scatter out of control, then you are good to go as evidenced by many here who have done so already.

Last edited by SatinSilver; 07-13-2013 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Watch the language and baiting comments.
post #8 of 197 Old 07-01-2013, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Retired G-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Runner View Post
It's hard to find a consensus on the rated life of the H9, but it appears to be 250 hours vs. 550 hours for the H11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by on2 View Post
HIDs, increased lumens, increased aesthetics, increased clarity with whiter output (if 4300K-5000K)

While this mod is welcomed and recommended by anti-HID folks, HIDs offer more benefits for not much cost.

Lighting purist (read: snobs, analist) claim HIDs aren't made for factory halogen projectors, screw them, as long as the light doesn't blind people or scatter out of control, then you are good to go as evidenced by many here who have done so already.
You've really got a way with words, although a lot of your words are obnoxious and have nothing to do with the topic, e.g., "lighting purists", "snobs", "analist", "screw them".

post #9 of 197 Old 07-01-2013, 06:06 PM
3rd Gear

Here is a good and true before/after of my conversion....
Before

After

2013 Accord Sport CVT
2010 Ford F150 Lariat
2006 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
The Following User Says Thank You to gigglebox For This Useful Post:
karfreek (04-26-2014)
post #10 of 197 Old 07-01-2013, 06:08 PM
on2
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFed View Post
You've really got a way with words, although a lot of your words are obnoxious and have nothing to do with the topic, e.g., "lighting purists", "snobs,", "analist", "screw them".
Thanks!
post #11 of 197 Old 07-01-2013, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Retired G-Man

No problem

post #12 of 197 Old 07-01-2013, 06:25 PM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebowski View Post
No, but being able to see at night more than makes up for any decrease in bulb life.
One more dumb question: Is H9 hotter compared to H11? Sometimes the light harness gets brittle when the light bulb runs too hot.
post #13 of 197 Old 07-01-2013, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Retired G-Man

It's been used for a long time in a lot of circumstances and I haven't heard of any such problem.

post #14 of 197 Old 07-01-2013, 07:38 PM
4th Gear

Last week I drove at night for 4 hours and the H9 headlight started to dim for 1 second then back to full brightness. Was driving at 75mph on interstate, non-stop. Happened about 5 to 6 times for the duration of the trip. I took out the bulb and it didn't seem to get close to end of life yet, as the swirl is still perfect and nothing seems touching each other. So my question is, if H9 in headlight being turned on for a long time would actually kill the electrical system.
post #15 of 197 Old 07-02-2013, 06:30 AM
3rd Gear

I noticed that dimming effect several days ago. Traced it to the air conditioner compressor switching on and off.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.