Ignorant Service Department - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
7Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 06-18-2016, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Garage
Ignorant Service Department

So I've been using the same dealer where I purchased my car, Honda of Watertown in CT. I just had a B1 service today and, while satisfied, I have some complaints and observations.

I left a note on the dash specifying my needs and situation. My tires need to be replaced, left rear leaks 5-6 pounds per month. I replaced transmission fluid 2 months ago. Please don't top off washer fluid. In addition to my note, I told the desk clerk who was handling my appointment

An hour later while i'm at the grocery store across the street, I get the call with their concerns (by the same clerk). Transmission service is recommended, my tires need replacement, car is done. I'm like "did you even read the note?" but I kept that inside and just said thanks.

Upon picking up, I am also told that I need a fuel injector service and that my battery terminals are heavily corroded and need cleaning. I use Top Tier (Shell) fuel for every fill and toss in an injector cleaner roughly every 10 fillups. I have attached pictures of my "corroded" terminals. They looked this way last month, and still do today.

On a final note, she told me they set my tire pressures to 33. I checked at home and I had 3 at 40PSI and 1 (rear left) and 34PSI. I got my oil change for free (as agreed upon when I purchased the car), and that's all I wanted so I'm happy, but sheesh, they SUCK at everything else

Attached Images

Current vehicle:
2014 Honda Accord LX 6MT 103K
easy mods and changes:
*55W HID lowbeam 5000K (Innovited upgrade kit)
*LasFit 9005 HB3 highbeam / DRL 6500k
*Interior trunk handle
*Trunk cargo net
*All weather floor mats from College Hills Honda
*Gutter Guards behind lower grille

Previous vehicles:
2001 Chevy Prizm 3AT (given away, it was a terrible car...)
1995 Honda Accord DX 5MT (wrecked at 240K)
1989 Honda Civic LX 4AT (wrecked at 180K)
1988 GMC Sierra 1500 5MT (sold at 80K)
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-18-2016, 07:32 AM
Cruisin'

Garage
They tried to make those extra dollas and it made you holla!
LOL
Joking aside, sorry to hear about that. Unfortunately there aren't too many morally sound mechanics/dealers out there. SMH When I went in for my 2nd oil change (around (15K miles)
the service advisor said, we found carbon deposits in your throttle body and your transmission fluid should be changed. I said hmm, well when I had my 2003 Accord, the throttle body never had carbon build up...how could this newer and "better" car have that? Could you show me? He said, the next time you come in we can show you with a video scope. About the transmission: I said I believe the transmission fluid is supposed to be changed every 30K miles right? Advisor said, think of it this way: when you cook with oil and use it repeatedly it starts to discolor right? That's how it is in the transmission, due to the heat.

:: FACEPALM :: I am going to go by the book and not the crook!

Last edited by versedispersed; 06-18-2016 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Sp3lling
post #3 of 20 Old 06-18-2016, 07:44 AM

Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,361 Posts
Mike, the leaky tire could be a leaky valve stem seal, or perhaps the bead on the tire. A spray bottle of soapy water sprayed on the valve stem seal and the rim where it meets the tire will reveal the culprit.

One of my tires developed a slow leak- I found it was the valve stem seal by using this method. Tires were fine.

I could eat off of your battery terminals....
enne likes this.

post #4 of 20 Old 06-18-2016, 07:58 AM
5th Gear

To make it worse you probably have no idea what brand or weight of oil they used or if they replaced the oil filter. It's what I have said before, the kid working in the lube bay might well have been flipping burgers a Micky D's the week before. Looks like you have also found a service manager that can't read.

I have had similar problems with the Honda dealer where I purchased my car, McCurley Honda in Kennewick, WA. After doing an alignment they sent me on my way with a car that was wondering all over the road and actually unsafe to drive. I took it, the next morning, to a good tire shop and had it realigned. After showing the Honda dealer the as found and as left alignment data from the Hunter equipment at the tire shop the dealer did give me my money back but wouldn't tell me what went wrong.

There are a lot of fly-by-night auto repair places but some new car dealers seem to be the worst of them. Yes, I know there are a few good ones left but they are getting hard to find. Best solution I have found is to either DIY or find a good, reputable, independent mechanic.

Tom
'14 Accord Sport 6MT
post #5 of 20 Old 06-18-2016, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
Mike, the leaky tire could be a leaky valve stem seal, or perhaps the bead on the tire. A spray bottle of soapy water sprayed on the valve stem seal and the rim where it meets the tire will reveal the culprit.

One of my tires developed a slow leak- I found it was the valve stem seal by using this method. Tires were fine.

I could eat off of your battery terminals....
Well I have 65k on the tires and have plugged one of them already, so once I replace, I'll have the valve stems replaced as well. That slow of a leak will be hard to spot, its like 2lb a week or less. I'll check anyway since you mentioned it.

As for the terminals, I have a can of the battery terminal spray and a wire brush ready for the day I see buildup. I'm LOOKING for problems and not finding much, yet these clowns are trying to perform unnecessary service

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
To make it worse you probably have no idea what brand or weight of oil they used or if they replaced the oil filter. It's what I have said before, the kid working in the lube bay might well have been flipping burgers a Micky D's the week before. Looks like you have also found a service manager that can't read.

I have had similar problems with the Honda dealer where I purchased my car, McCurley Honda in Kennewick, WA. After doing an alignment they sent me on my way with a car that was wondering all over the road and actually unsafe to drive. I took it, the next morning, to a good tire shop and had it realigned. After showing the Honda dealer the as found and as left alignment data from the Hunter equipment at the tire shop the dealer did give me my money back but wouldn't tell me what went wrong.

There are a lot of fly-by-night auto repair places but some new car dealers seem to be the worst of them. Yes, I know there are a few good ones left but they are getting hard to find. Best solution I have found is to either DIY or find a good, reputable, independent mechanic.
I'm going to start marking the oil filter to see if it gets replaced

Current vehicle:
easy mods and changes:
*Interior trunk handle
*Trunk cargo net

Previous vehicles:

Last edited by namegoeshere; 06-18-2016 at 09:53 AM. Reason: merge
post #6 of 20 Old 06-18-2016, 08:50 AM
Out of Control

Garage
If it were me I'd be emailing the service manager and general manger of the dealership. With pictures. I'd focus on the tire pressure and battery terminal issue because you have hard evidence that they either lied, made stuff up, confused your car with another or some other a$$clownery. Something along the line of "If I can't trust you over simple things like tire pressure and battery terminals, why would I ever trust what you tell me about transmission fluid, fuel injectors or other more complex systems?"
versedispersed likes this.

'15 MSM Accord Sport 6MT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 20 Old 06-18-2016, 01:29 PM
8TH GEN BELIEVER

Ditto. Although I like my dealer, they -- it appears -- have the same three sentences printed on their invoices under the heading of "work needed but not done." One is bleed brakes and refill, the second is transmission fluid black and smelly, the third is need 4-wheel alignment. I'd had ALL of that done two months ago. I compared two invoices with the same b.s., called my service advisor and she kinda stumbled around and said to speak to her in person next time I'm there, upon which she confessed,,,, they try to scare people, unknowing people, into another appt.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
post #8 of 20 Old 06-18-2016, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMVB View Post
If it were me I'd be emailing the service manager and general manger of the dealership. With pictures... Something along the line of "If I can't trust you over simple things like tire pressure and battery terminals, why would I ever trust what you tell me about transmission fluid, fuel injectors or other more complex systems?"
Fortunately, I'm willing to do the work myself to $ave, so I'm not at a high risk of them botching one of those jobs. HOWEVER, there will come a task that I need help, and on that day I may bring my business elsewhere. I will continue going for oil changes because their rate for Hondas is $18.95 for full synthetic + filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm1469 View Post
1 the second is transmission fluid black and smelly,
2need 4-wheel alignment.
1- As far as I can tell, for the MT it is not possible to check trans fluid quality without draining it, so they at least can't hit me with that nonsense, but my fuel injection system notice sounds like one of their "60,000 mile service" reminders along with my transmission fluid recommendation. There is no mention of injectors in the OM, plus I know that system is functioning properly by operating under the assumption that great gas mileage and/or a quick throttle (for a 4cyl) indicate proper function.

2- I've been alerted to misalignment every other appointment, and the misaligned wheel is different on the chart each time. My tires wear evenly, my vehicle tracks straight and rides smooth, I'm not paying for an alignment when I plan to replace 4 tires in the next 5k

Current vehicle:
easy mods and changes:
*Interior trunk handle
*Trunk cargo net

Previous vehicles:
post #9 of 20 Old 06-20-2016, 12:57 PM
3rd Gear

I must be lucky, I've never got hit with any of this stuff at the dealer we use for service. They are good about coming out and telling me about stuff then taking me back in to the service area and showing me if there is anything they find over my initial request. They also use an online scheduling app that lets you get pretty wordy in what you want them to do.

That being said, I do all my scheduled maintenance myself and only go back when there is something I don't have the time or tools to manage myself.

I'm surprised you didn't get charged to put summer air in your tires...

2016 Accord EXL, White Orchid Pearl
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i, Grey
2011 Pilot EXL AWD, Grey
2008 CRV EXL AWD, Tango Red
post #10 of 20 Old 06-20-2016, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjk View Post
... They also use an online scheduling app that lets you get pretty wordy in what you want them to do.

That being said, I do all my scheduled maintenance myself and only go back when there is something I don't have the time or tools to manage myself.

I'm surprised you didn't get charged to put summer air in your tires...
Online scheduling would be helpful, and my dealer may offer this. I only go in for oil changes for the price (free up until now, and 18.95 from here on for full synth). Summer air, ha...

They made my day this afternoon, I received an email offering for me to fill out a survey and asking if they can count on me to rate them highly in a survey from Honda. I'll be sure to include pictures when I fill that one out...

Current vehicle:
easy mods and changes:
*Interior trunk handle
*Trunk cargo net

Previous vehicles:
post #11 of 20 Old 06-21-2016, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Garage
This was my response to the email from the dealer

Katie,
Below, I have responded to the questions in your email.

Do you feel like during your most recent service visit that you were provided with excellent service?

From Stephanie, Yes. Otherwise, No.

I explained my maintenance history to Stephanie and left a note on the dash for the service technician with the same info as well as asking not to top off washer fluid. My fluid is green RainX, the top of my fill spout was blue after servicing. I also reported that I changed my transmission fluid at 55,000 miles, but received a notice from the technician that a transmission service was recommended, which suggests the note was missed or ignored. This is minor, but still a complaint.

The technician reported that a fuel injection service was recommended, while the Owners manual does not make any mention of such a service, but this is minor. The manual recommends use of Top Tier fuels, which I use, and I have seen no loss of power or fuel efficiency over 65,000 miles of ownership.

Technician also reported that my battery terminals have signs of corrosion or buildup and recommended cleaning. This was not true, I inspected my vehicle before embarking on a cross country drive in May, and saw nothing wrong then, nor do I see anything wrong now. Maybe he confused my vehicle with another, which on its own is also minor, but it raises other concerns that my vehicle may not have received the service that was intended. I have attached images of the condition of my battery terminals that clearly indicate there is no such corrosion or buildup.

Lastly, the sticker indicating the recommended next service date was not replaced, further suggesting that my car did not receive the full attention of the technician during the standard inspection that goes with a B 1 service. I will be concerned in the future that the oil filter is actually replaced when promised, and will take steps to double check that a new filter has been installed after my next appointment. Am I receiving synthetic 0W20 oil, or is the technician using something else?

All of my complaints are of little concern on their own, but combined together, they suggest a casual or total lack of attention to detail by the technician, as well as tactics to pressure me into paying for unnecessary services to my Honda.

Did Stephanie review the multipoint inspection with you?

After I explained my at-home service history, Stephanie acknowledged that I understood the items included in the inspection.

Did Stephanie mention to you that you may receive follow-up / survey e-mails?

No that I recall, but I often do receive such emails.

Can we count on you to provide us with excellent ratings if you are selected to receive these surveys?

Not excellent. The service advisers have always been helpful and informative. The quality of my service has been more than satisfactory in the past, but my most recent visit has broken my trust.

Thank you,
Michael
Das Chicken and enne like this.

Current vehicle:
easy mods and changes:
*Interior trunk handle
*Trunk cargo net

Previous vehicles:
post #12 of 20 Old 03-29-2017, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Garage
The saga continues with my first world complaints over my service department.

Just had another oil change with tire rotation (included with my tire purchase). I have 3 slightly damaged rims, so I made a note of where they had been on the car. The dealer rotated my tires front to back without crossing any from side to side, I have non-directional tires. They also did not reset the TPMS, which I would assume to be standard by now. Otherwise, they did a good job of reading my note that said not to touch anything else on the car. It annoys me when they add the regular blue washer fluid to my full reservoir of orange or green Rain-X.

Current vehicle:
easy mods and changes:
*Interior trunk handle
*Trunk cargo net

Previous vehicles:
post #13 of 20 Old 03-29-2017, 07:59 AM
5th Gear

Your TPMS would not need to be reset unless it was set wrong when you took the car in. The 1 lb difference front/rear recommended by Honda is irrelevant. Judging from your past experience I would recommend checking your own tire pressures then reset the TPMS yourself if needed.

For your own peace of mind and safety I suggest finding another place to have your car serviced.
KW2004Accord likes this.

Tom
'14 Accord Sport 6MT
post #14 of 20 Old 03-29-2017, 08:49 AM
Bout it, Bout it

Quote:
Originally Posted by easymike View Post
The saga continues with my first world complaints over my service department.

Just had another oil change with tire rotation (included with my tire purchase). I have 3 slightly damaged rims, so I made a note of where they had been on the car. The dealer rotated my tires front to back without crossing any from side to side, I have non-directional tires. They also did not reset the TPMS, which I would assume to be standard by now. Otherwise, they did a good job of reading my note that said not to touch anything else on the car. It annoys me when they add the regular blue washer fluid to my full reservoir of orange or green Rain-X.
I haven't had any shop follow the cross-rotation pattern listed in the owner's manual before. They always just rotate side-to-side. Maybe it's a time issue, maybe it's easier to do the same pattern on all cars, maybe the techs can't be bothered to take 5 seconds to see if the tires are directional, IDK.

And at least your dealership adds washer fluid. The last two times I've gone in, the low fluid light was on when they brought my car around. Of course, the inspection sheet showed the fluid was full lol

2018 Hyundai Elantra VE
2002 Honda Accord EX-L SULEV -- 205K miles
2013 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD -- 50K miles
2002 Infiniti I35 -- 130K miles VQ35 BABY!
post #15 of 20 Old 03-29-2017, 09:06 AM
Out of Control

You guys waste time and money at the stealership? These are definitely first world problems.

I changed out my front struts in less time than it would take me to drive to the stealer.

2003 Accord EX I4 AT (mine), K&N drop in (surprised), JL Audio TR690Txi 6X9 in the rear
2004 Accord EX I4 MT (wife's), totally bone stock except for all the crap that fills every cubic inch that is not the driver seat.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.