??? for those w/Spoilers - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 02-18-2004, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

??? for those w/Spoilers

I just had a rear wing spoiler installed and I noticed when I open the trunk it doesn't pop open like before. I'm wondering is this normal or did the dealership possibly forget to re-install some springs or something. I know the spoiler is heavy and places more weight on the trunk which would keep it from popping open like it did before. I guess what I need is to find out from those of you with spoilers how your trunk opens when you push the button..does it open up fully or just release and then you have to lift it yourself??

Sorry for rambling!

Brandy

04 Honda Accord EX V6 sedan w/nav satin silver metalic

04 Honda Aquatrax F-12x Turbo
3 seater/ silver and Black
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 02-18-2004, 09:42 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
Ours opens a few inches then you lift it up. Which we like because the wind is much less likely to slam too far up! The draw back is I have to remember to open it by touching the plate....I HATE finger prints!!

post #3 of 34 Old 02-19-2004, 08:13 AM
O do u know the buffinman

You could check the springs and see if they still have color tags for your spoiler** Low-rise and Wing have diff color coded springs ** check install instructions in 04 cat.
http://radio-pro.ru/forums/fo...?s=&forumid=23

When I installed the spoiler on my 02 I did change the springs and it pops up about 6 inches. The original springs only opened deck lid about a inch without spoiler and wouldn't unlatch with spoiler...

Hope this helps
I1

post #4 of 34 Old 02-19-2004, 08:36 AM
ready to go....

Several years back we added the spoiler to the ol' '86. We couldn't get the one for the sedan & put one on for a coiupe or prelude..... it's springs were way more than our trunk needed & you sure knew it when you popped the trunk! The lid would fly all the way up!! SLAM!!
post #5 of 34 Old 02-19-2004, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thank you all so much for your replies. I never would have thought anything other than the spoiler was heavy, but I ran across something last night mentioning springs so thought I would ask you folks about it. I'm gonna check out those instructions and go look for those springs. Mine doesnt pop open at all now, before it lifter about half way or so by itself.

Thanks again!!!
post #6 of 34 Old 02-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Out of Control

Can the spoiler springs be purchased alone? I should just put some spoiler springs on my trunk without a spoiler so it'll just fly open.
post #7 of 34 Old 02-20-2004, 06:34 AM
O do u know the buffinman

You want something like this.................

click viewhighlights --- clip one....

I1
post #8 of 34 Old 02-20-2004, 08:17 AM
ready to go....

Heeheee heee LOL!!
post #9 of 34 Old 02-20-2004, 04:09 PM
jag
'08CoupeI4 EX BelizeBlue

I have tackled the installation of the original Honda factory spoiler on my í00 with the torsion springs provided in the kit. A nerve wrecking experience but rewarding. Since one has more time to rustproof freshly drilled holes and make sure the shavings do not end up trapped inside causing premature corrosion, itís a job done well. To boot, it cost $300 less than what the dealer asked for. Anyways, the trunk opens only a few inches. I think itís desirable considering the stress damage due to the counter- pressure it would exert if it flew past the designed stop point.
jag
post #10 of 34 Old 02-20-2004, 11:25 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally posted by Inspector1
You want something like this.................

click viewhighlights --- clip one....

I1
THATS IT!! I WANT THAT!! Could ya imagine...springs like that on my trunk with a remote release? WOW! Whenever I saw some jackass near the trunk I could just go *POP* hahahahaha where can I get one?!
post #11 of 34 Old 03-04-2004, 03:21 PM
1st Gear

spoiler springs

Hi Jag,
I've been toying with the idea of putting a spoiler on my new Accord - what part was nerve wracking? Was any of it difficult? were the springs difficult to change?

Thanks,

entropy2002
post #12 of 34 Old 03-06-2004, 02:27 PM
jag
'08CoupeI4 EX BelizeBlue

WellÖwhen one decides to drill holes in a brand spanking new vehicle (I had it for only 30 days then) all kinds of thoughts cross oneís mind. First, what if the bit slips and decides to travel across the lid? I took all kinds of precautions and taped the adjacent area with couple of layers of masking tape just in case. Then I scraped the paint right to the bare metal and even deeper to give the drill bit a firm start-an area of 1/8Ē only. I drilled at low RPMs and exerted minimum pressure possible as not to create a dent and crack the paint finish. Refrain from drinking beer a good couple of days prior to this event The kit comes with a template so it's easier to do the lay out. The harness connects right into the same connector where the center back window brake light is connected. Unplug the existing light. When you drill the hole to feed the harness through the lid, tape a wad of cotton from the inside over the area you drilling to catch the metal shavings. It will prevent them from being trapped inside the lid and promote rust. Also take some time and paint the freshly drilled holes with Tremclad rust paint even though they supply a rubber grommet for it. I bought a special tool for the spring installation. It makes this job a snap but for the cost of the tool for one time use you may consider asking Honda to install the springs for you. Itís a 10 min job max. $10-$15?

Good luck,
jag
post #13 of 34 Old 03-06-2004, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

spoiler installation

Thanks for the information, Jag. How much did the spring tool cost? Would it have been difficult without the tool?

Regards,
Entropy2002

entropy2002
post #14 of 34 Old 03-06-2004, 06:23 PM
jag
'08CoupeI4 EX BelizeBlue

It cost me 15 bucks. Considering the convenience and safety issue, it was well worth it.

jag
post #15 of 34 Old 07-06-2004, 04:45 AM
My First Post

04 Coupe

I just picked up my 04 Coupe EX 6 Speed and had the spoiler put on when I bought it. I don't think they put the heavier duty springs in because when you pop the trunk it doesn't move just clicks and you need to open it by hand. Also if you hold it anywhere but all the way open it slams shut, Dealers suck.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.