??? for those w/Spoilers - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 34 Old 07-06-2004, 07:08 AM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
Mine HAS the heavy springs & when you "pop" the trunk it opens about 1-2 inches is all. Yes, you have to open it the rest of the way. Shutting is firm, but I don't slam it.

Welcome to the bunch here, rhard49. Hope you find the people & info useful here.

Advertisement

post #17 of 34 Old 07-06-2004, 08:05 AM
Out of Control

Re: 04 Coupe

Quote:
Originally posted by rhard49
I just picked up my 04 Coupe EX 6 Speed and had the spoiler put on when I bought it. I don't think they put the heavier duty springs in because when you pop the trunk it doesn't move just clicks and you need to open it by hand. Also if you hold it anywhere but all the way open it slams shut, Dealers suck.
Go back and ask them to install the springs. However I think they might have installed the springs on your car. My trunk has no spoiler and it doesn't always pop open, and it will always slam shut. It could be a latch alignment issue, sealing too good and doesn't want to open.

post #18 of 34 Old 05-11-2005, 09:11 PM
2nd Gear

On my 05 I4 coupe with no spoiler the trunk just lifts enough to unlock it, if you looked at it you would think its closed. I'm installing a factory spoiler next week, I wiil let you know what change if any in the way it opens.

post #19 of 34 Old 05-12-2005, 04:50 AM
pro common sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcliff
On my 05 I4 coupe with no spoiler the trunk just lifts enough to unlock it, if you looked at it you would think its closed. I'm installing a factory spoiler next week, I wiil let you know what change if any in the way it opens.

same here on my 04 coupe. it pops, but doesn't open. i don't have a spoiler. i *think* it used to pop open a few inches, but ever since the repairs from my accident, it has never popped open like that. sometimes i even have to hit the button on my key twice.....

moral of the story? not sure if it is supposed to pop open even without the spoiler.

Current:
06 Nighthawk Black Acura TSX 6 spd~mine~20mm tl sway bar
08 Alabaster Silver Metallic RDX Tech Pkg~stevels'

Retired:
06 Sapphire Blue Accord V6 6spd sedan w/navi~stevel's~Accord all season floor mats and trunk tray
04 Nighthawk Black EX Accord Coupe~5spd~crooked

03 Ruby Red Pearl LX Civic Sedan (at)
00 Vintage Plum Pearl LX Civic Sedan (at)
post #20 of 34 Old 05-14-2005, 02:10 PM
2nd Gear

one more thing to add in reading the spoiler install directions there are 2 positions (notches)for the trunk springs if the 1st one it too weak try the second position.
post #21 of 34 Old 05-16-2005, 01:42 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordin2B
I just had a rear wing spoiler installed and I noticed when I open the trunk it doesn't pop open like before. I'm wondering is this normal or did the dealership possibly forget to re-install some springs or something. I know the spoiler is heavy and places more weight on the trunk which would keep it from popping open like it did before. I guess what I need is to find out from those of you with spoilers how your trunk opens when you push the button..does it open up fully or just release and then you have to lift it yourself??

Sorry for rambling!
Mine pops open MORE since getting the RW installed... they put MUCH beefier springs in. If yours isn't, and you got a HONDA Wing, then go back--they didn't do it right.

-- Current --
2008 EX-L V6 Navi Sedan, Royal Blue
2006 Civic EX Coupe, Atomic Blue (wife's)

-- Previous Hondas --
2005 Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4l, Nighthawk Black
1989 Accord LXi Coupe, Graphite Black
1988 Accord LXi Hatch, Blue
1987 CRX DX, White
1979 Accord LX Hatch, Brown
post #22 of 34 Old 05-24-2005, 08:49 PM
5th Gear

I just ran into this 2 days ago as I was looking for teh spoiler myself...

The OEM spoiler installation instructions:

The significance being that both OEM kits seem to come with springs? They are too pricey me thinks, I might go with spoilerdepot instead...

The trunk spring remover/reinstaller tool can also be found here:

post #23 of 34 Old 05-25-2005, 03:12 PM
1st Gear

No problems!

I had the dealer install an OEM spoiler on my '03 Accord EX-L and I have to report that I am happy with their work. The lid pops up about 4'' or so and remains open at that point. For all who had the dealer install the spoiler and have had problems...remember that you have a 3 year warranty on parts and labour...if you had the work done at time of purchase!
post #24 of 34 Old 05-25-2005, 09:29 PM
2nd Gear

Im still waiting for mine to be painted, I got an oe honda one for $140 on ebay, but it was the wrong color (wich I knew), its getting painted by a friend a body shop for free so I saved about $235
post #25 of 34 Old 05-26-2005, 05:54 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcliff
Im still waiting for mine to be painted, I got an oe honda one for $140 on ebay, but it was the wrong color (wich I knew), its getting painted by a friend a body shop for free so I saved about $235
That's a great price

I'll be getting mone off Spoilerdepot. Already bought from them before, the quality is great. You can get the spoiler (both OEM styles) for about $200 painted, shipped. IMHO the OEM Honda spoiler is a rip off.
post #26 of 34 Old 06-07-2005, 09:41 PM
2nd Gear

Sorry This took a while. here is a pic of one of the trunk springs installed in position 1, before installing the spoiler my trunk hardly opend at all, after installe & the new springs it now pops open about 4-5 inches. weather you have a spoiler or not you can reposition the spring to positon 2 for a little more tention. by the way my oe springs are grey and the new ones are black with a red or yellow mark.
Attached Images
post #27 of 34 Old 07-21-2005, 04:34 PM
7th Gear and going strong

Tazcliff, if you still have the original springs, would you mind measuring their thickness, as well as the thickness of the new springs, and posting it here, please?

The dual position makes me realize that an idea I had might just work.... if one were to install the spoiler, then add a spacer under the short arm of the trunk spring, it would put more tension on the arm, thus adding more lift to the trunk. Not sure if it would be enough to boost a spoiler up, but it would certainly make things better for those with no spoiler but a weak-opening trunk!

Thanks for your time measuring, if you have it.
post #28 of 34 Old 03-29-2016, 10:01 AM
1st Gear

Garage
My 03 coupe came with a wing on the back and still opens fully when I press the trunk release on the key fob.
post #29 of 34 Old 03-29-2016, 10:12 AM
5th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojoack66 View Post
My 03 coupe came with a wing on the back and still opens fully when I press the trunk release on the key fob.
Congrats, you've resurrected the oldest thread I've seen on this forum.
enne and travrach like this.

2013 Honda Accord EX Crystal black Pearl 33K miles
2009 Infiniti G37x sedan Liquid Platinum 53K miles
post #30 of 34 Old 03-29-2016, 10:17 AM
2015 EX-L V6 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy2002 View Post
Thanks for the information, Jag. How much did the spring tool cost? Would it have been difficult without the tool?

Regards,
Entropy2002
Check out this thread and my posts within it: Homemade Trunk Spring Removal Tool

I made my own tool, if you could call it that. Worked just fine for my lip spoiler installation.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.