just to let you all know RETRO HIDS are Legal. - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 03-17-2006, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
6 fwd gears, no reverse

Send a message via AIM to OwAce
just to let you all know RETRO HIDS are Legal.

so apparently there has been a lot of argument caused over this argument. and i find it sort of funny how there was a lot of misinformation thrown about over there.

SEMA has prevailed and the NHTSA has agreed that HID retrofits are legal.

here is the text of the article.

SEMA Prevails on Motor Vehicle Lighting Rule; NHTSA Alters Interpretation on Enhanced Replacement Headlamp Systems

WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 1, 2005--Following a challenge by the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA), the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has withdrawn a controversial interpretation of the federal lighting standard. SEMA disputed NHTSA's constitutional and statutory authority to prohibit vehicle headlamp replacement systems that are different than the headlamps and components which came with the original vehicle. The agency's latest action reverses this ruling.

In a Nov. 1, 2005, notice published in the Federal Register, NHTSA agreed with SEMA that Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 108 is a performance standard that allows for different types of replacement headlamp systems, lamps and sources so long as the system meets the photometry and functionality requirements of the standard. It had been NHTSA's contention that replacement headlamps must comply with all applicable photometry requirements using the same light source as the original equipment. This interpretation would have prohibited, for example, replacing a halogen-based system with high-intensity discharge (HID) headlamps that otherwise meet all requirements of FMVSS 108.

"NHTSA's reversal is wholly consistent with the statutory requirement that replacement lighting equipment meet an objective performance standard. We applaud the agency for issuing this revised ruling," said SEMA President and CEO Chris Kersting. "A policy limiting the consumer's choice of design runs contrary to long-standing precedent, is beyond authority as delegated by Congress and could have threatened other equipment beyond lighting in the future. We are pleased that by acting on our members' behalf, we were able to overturn this policy."

NHTSA first issued its controversial interpretation in 2003 as a draft opinion letter subject to public comment. None of the 25 organizations and businesses that commented agreed with NHTSA's proposal that replacement equipment conform to the standard in the same manner as the original equipment. Instead, commenters argued that aftermarket manufacturers should be allowed to certify replacement lighting equipment under FMVSS No. 108 in such manner as complies with the performance standard it sets forth. Despite these recommendations, NHTSA stuck with its position and published a final opinion letter in October 2004. SEMA immediately petitioned the agency to reconsider its action.

"SEMA continues to stand for the right to responsibly accessorize, modify, and improve vehicles with enhanced aftermarket lighting," said SEMA Chairman Mitch Williams. "Enhanced headlamp lighting systems improve safety aspects of the vehicle and can be fully compliant with all relevant federal standards. SEMA vigorously opposed this interpretation of a long-standing regulation. It threatened to inhibit many legitimate companies who are in the business of improving vehicle lighting to the benefit of the motoring public. SEMA welcomes NHTSA's reversal and will continue to work with the agency to ensure fair and accurate implementation of this new interpretation."

Founded in 1963, SEMA represents the $32 billion specialty automotive industry of 6,466 member companies. It is the authoritative source for research, data, trends and market growth information for automakers and the specialty auto products industry. The industry provides appearance, performance, comfort, convenience and technology products for passenger and recreational vehicles. For more information contact SEMA at 1575 S. Valley Vista Dr., Diamond Bar, CA 91765-0910; call 909-396-0289; or visit and .

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack
It seems the only thing folks in NYC understand is lawyers or the taleban.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 03-18-2006, 08:36 AM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
Ok, this is funny after all the hoopla....

Thanks for sharing!!

post #3 of 36 Old 03-18-2006, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
6 fwd gears, no reverse

i think it goes to show that sometimes we all need to learn humility. we should never act like we know everything.

facts are facts, laws are laws, dont opine on them.

learn to be mature, i was disgusted by some of the activity seen on this site lately. i was even more disgusted at some of the actions taken by people, who chose to inflame the situation, and some who just straight up said bye. that was sad.

i hope you all learn from this. i sort of now understand why the world has problems.

Quote:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 36 Old 03-18-2006, 11:31 AM
ready to go....

Good point.
post #5 of 36 Old 03-18-2006, 02:45 PM
Granny shifts faster :(

Send a message via AIM to satanzrejekt
Anyone up to retrofit HID projectors now?

The Replacement:
2005 Acura TSX [6MT]
Satin Silver Metallic
-Navi/Ebony Interior
-OEM Splashguards
-19" R2 Sport Wheels
-225/35ZR19 - 88W Falken Tires
-20% Tinted Windows
-Comptech Springs (110-160)

Previous Car:
2003 LX Sedan I4 [5M]
Graphite Pearl

*Purchased 12/26/05 w/ 33353 miles
**Traded 03/31/06 w/ 43057 miles :(

Proud member of N.A.T.O. - No Altezza Taillights Organization.
post #6 of 36 Old 03-18-2006, 03:01 PM
ready to go....

You pot stirrer you!!
post #7 of 36 Old 03-18-2006, 03:04 PM
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
pot coming to boil now, just need a few more ingredients....

current car: 2007 Honda Accord LX-SE 4dr 2.4 MT 17xk miles (slowly and gradually nursing her back to health)

prior vehicles:
2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (197k, blown head gasket)
1993 Honda Accord (retired 369k)
post #8 of 36 Old 03-18-2006, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
6 fwd gears, no reverse

me jon (pharmacist from boston) and jim (brooklyn police officer) are contemplating doing a retro each one weekend. i have seen many people increase the amount of retros they are doing themselves.

i had a friend i would have recommended to everybody, but he seems to have turned sketch. there is another guy named larry who charges 800 for retros now.

Quote:

post #9 of 36 Old 03-19-2006, 05:26 PM
5th Gear

Man, you don't know what you are talking about!

Look, you need to read... ahahahhaha just kidding!

Durka Durka
post #10 of 36 Old 03-19-2006, 05:31 PM
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
don't start, driver....

current car: 2007 Honda Accord LX-SE 4dr 2.4 MT 17xk miles (slowly and gradually nursing her back to health)

prior vehicles:
2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (197k, blown head gasket)
1993 Honda Accord (retired 369k)
post #11 of 36 Old 11-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Honda4Life

Sorry to respond to an old thread, but I have had Acura TSX HID projectors in my lude for almost a year. I am in the process of getting everything together so I can do it to my 94 EX wagon.

Once you go projector HID you just hate driving at night with anything else.

Mike
post #12 of 36 Old 12-17-2007, 12:42 PM
6th Gear

Legally, you still can only install HID aftermarket kits that are DOT-certified or meet FMVSS 108. Not just any kit is legal.

2017 Honda Odyssey EX-L RES (Smoky Topaz)
2007 Honda Accord EX-L V6 AT 4DR (Alabaster Silver Metallic)
2005 Honda Pilot EX-L (Desert Rock Metallic)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier LS sedan (silver)
1995 Yamaha FZR600
1995 Suzuki Katana 600 (teal)
1996 Acura Integra GS-R sedan (Black Currant Pearl)
1984 Chevrolet Celebrity (brown)
post #13 of 36 Old 12-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Southern Jag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlee View Post
Legally, you still can only install HID aftermarket kits that are DOT-certified or meet FMVSS 108. Not just any kit is legal.
True. Stumbled on an inspection place in my city still checks beam levels too. LOL Thought that was odd. I haven't seen that done in at least 10 years!

'13 Maxima SV w/ Sport & Tech Pkg (Wife's Ride)
'12 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 (Work Horse)
'07 Accord SE V6 #2 (My Commuter Car)
'95 Impala SS (The Project Car!)
---------- OLD RIDES ----------
'07 Nissan Armada (Traded)
'07 Accord SE V6 #1 (Traded)
'06 Accord SE (Wrecked/Totaled)
'94 Civic EX (Sold)
'86 Silverado C10 (Sold)
post #14 of 36 Old 12-26-2007, 10:44 AM
accordless

not trying to stir the pot. I swear. but curious.....

this press release is all I can find anywhere stating that HID retrofits are now legal. I can't find anything on the nhtsa's website, and I can't find any outline of what is and is not legal. and for me, one press release scattered about the internet isn't proof enough for me that a law was changed when I can't find any other info. but I suck at searching, so........

I don't doubt that something changed, but what exactly? they have to be DOT approved, that's cool. but, the DOT isn't going to approve taking parts from a TSX for example and modifying an accord headlight in your garage to make it fit..... I know this can be done nicely, etc. and I'd love to do it as I can't see a damn thing at night with my accord.... but..... is it a wait for an aftermarket company to produce a headlight and get it DOT approved?

can anyone at all provide any OFFICIAL info on this? I've picked through the FMVSS-108 file and can't find any details, but it's hard to read and I could easily miss it......

'08 RDX tech.

'06 accord V6 6 MT nav sedan... gone.

'06 TSX 6MT.
post #15 of 36 Old 12-26-2007, 04:30 PM
ready to go....

I looked through the CA codes here: & all I found was headlights must shine a certain amount of feet, be used when visibility is less than 1000 ft, it's training, etc. They must be of a certain height.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf CA codes.pdf (643.3 KB, 448 views)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.