Splash Guards? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 08-05-2010, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Splash Guards?

It seems that most people like to install OEM splash guards for more of a stock look, but I can't say that I am a fan. They seem to just add an extra black piece to the car and make it too busy looking. Obviously they are nice if there is mud or rain, but I don't see why I would go through the trouble.
What do you think?

Why install them?

Why wouldn't you install them?

Present: 2011 BMW 335i e92 6MT

Past: 2006 Accord Sedan 2.4

2007 Odyssey (dad's)
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 08-05-2010, 05:27 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to CTCoupe07
I just installed OEM splash guards last week, at first while I was waiting for them to come in I was worried about how they would look. After the install I absolutely loved them, it just seems like they were missing from the start. One big reason why I love them though is when I use tire shine on my tires or any kind of tire cleaner, I don't get the over-spray on my front doors anymore from the excess like I always used to, esp after a wash, I always hated that! They do work and they do keep your car cleaner, but I wasn't expecting them to. They actually blend nicely right in to my car. I guess it just depends on the individual and the look your going for.

2007 Accord LX Coupe
Alabaster Silver 2.4L I-VTEC

What I added:

OEM Fog Light Kit
Alpine Type-S 6x9" Coaxial 3-Way Speakers
Alpine Type-S 6-1/2" Component 2-Way Speaker System
OEM "Accord" All Weather Floor Mats
OEM Splash Guards
Grillcraft MX Series Lower Grille
Viper 5101 1 Way SuperCode Remote Start System

Retired:1997 Accord EX Coupe
Traded in on 7-2-10 with 156,000 mi
post #3 of 38 Old 08-05-2010, 05:48 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Jeff
My car had them on, and after awhile I took them off. They became all faded, and I wasn't really fond of how they looked. Now if they were color-matched, I may have kept them. But I didn't feel like spending the money on getting that done.

2007 Honda Accord EX-L i4 Sedan

post #4 of 38 Old 08-05-2010, 06:09 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to CTCoupe07
How long did you have them before they started fading? Were they OEM? I didn't think about that.

If they fade I will most likely take them off when and if they do.

2007 Accord LX Coupe
Alabaster Silver 2.4L I-VTEC

What I added:

OEM Fog Light Kit
Alpine Type-S 6x9" Coaxial 3-Way Speakers
Alpine Type-S 6-1/2" Component 2-Way Speaker System
OEM "Accord" All Weather Floor Mats
OEM Splash Guards
Grillcraft MX Series Lower Grille
Viper 5101 1 Way SuperCode Remote Start System

Retired:1997 Accord EX Coupe
Traded in on 7-2-10 with 156,000 mi
post #5 of 38 Old 08-05-2010, 06:14 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Jeff
They've been on the car for about 45k miles. My grandfather had them put on the car when he bought it new. I got the car when there was 36k on the clock, and even then they didn't look too good. However, they will look good as new for a little while if you wipe on some Black Magic.

2007 Honda Accord EX-L i4 Sedan
post #6 of 38 Old 08-05-2010, 06:44 PM
6th Gear

Nothing like OEM........
post #7 of 38 Old 08-05-2010, 08:34 PM
banned

Snow.
post #8 of 38 Old 08-06-2010, 06:29 AM
1st Gear

Splash guards help protect the lower rear bumper and that rocker area below the front doors. Keeps them from getting scratched by rocks and cuts down on dirt buildup. Honda paint isn't the best quality and I'm a clean paint fanatic. I like the look especially OEM blacks. It helps minimize fender/wheel gap and adds a real life functional use. To maintain shine I sometimes use a rubber safe synthetic wax. My dealer installed splash guards on all new cars.

2010 2.4L LX-P
post #9 of 38 Old 08-06-2010, 06:36 AM
5th Gear

They work well enough to justify their cost and perfect fit.

If you dont like the look...that would be the only downside.
post #10 of 38 Old 08-06-2010, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

I think I still have mixed feeling about the look, half of me likes them, half doesn't. Haha it just seems like it depends on the car. It is definitely still a possible install if they arent too pricey. Thanks for the input!

Present: 2011 BMW 335i e92 6MT

Past: 2006 Accord Sedan 2.4

2007 Odyssey (dad's)
post #11 of 38 Old 08-10-2010, 06:24 PM
1st Gear

I painted them with a matching color with a heavy 3 coat pain and clear. They look great. Here is my thread:

http://radio-pro.ru/forums/sh...407#post714407
post #12 of 38 Old 08-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

OEM splash guards are worth every penny. If they start looking rough there are a number of products that will restore them to pristine shape. Run through a fresh tarred strip just one time and you'll be really glad you put them on. Looks is up to the individual but the practicality is without question.
post #13 of 38 Old 08-10-2010, 07:18 PM
4th Gear

I like the OEM Splash guards that came with my car. Saves you some cleaning time and mine still looks new even after 33k miles. I'm just bummed that i have to take the rear guards off because of the rear lip. I'll probably paint the front guards later on.

07 Coupe LX - Graphite Pearl - I4AT
First owner since Aug 07 with only 5 miles
OEM Fogs, Rear Wing, Door Visor, Trunk Tray, HFP Lip Kit, K&N Typhoon SRI, Interior, License, and Reverse Light LEDs, TL-S FSB and RSB, Koni Yellows, GC with Custom Rates, 500f 380r

Other cars in the family's garage
15 Accord EXLV6, 15 Mazda Miata Hard Top, 07 Odyssey LX, 04 Civic EX, 15 CR-V EX AWD
post #14 of 38 Old 08-10-2010, 09:20 PM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

I guess they would look tacky on the sedan, but they look great on the coupe. They help keep the car cleaner and my OEM guards have never faded and the car is 7 years old.
post #15 of 38 Old 08-10-2010, 09:33 PM
6th Gear

I get tired of washing my car every week and the black color goes along with my black side skirts. They look great on my sedan.

If you want to talk about an "extra black piece" and how an OEM item looks on the car.. think about the "door edge guards" lol.

2004 Honda Accord LX-i4 Sedan
Mod list can be found here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Custom mod:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY - 7th Gen I4 Drive Belt Replacement

Advertisement

Tags
guards, install, splash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.