Autodimming mirror on 05 EXL? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 06-10-2005, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Send a message via AIM to greggdogg
Autodimming mirror on 05 EXL?

Has anyone installed an auto dimming mirror on an 05 EX (L)? I've read the instructions, and I'm just curious how hard it really is to do yourself.

Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 06-16-2005, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Not that anyone cares, but I installed this yesterday. Super easy! The dealer wanted about $400 as an installed option, but I bought it from Ray Laks Honda for $180 and installed it myself in 20 minutes.

I'd do a DIY with photos, but it's so simple.

1. Take off old mirror, rotating clockwise.
2. Remove old spring, put in new one.
3. Put on new mirror, rotating counterclockwise.
4. Take off overhead console.
5. Remove dummy plug, plug in mirror.
6. Put everything back together and calibrate the compass.
7. Drink beer

post #3 of 30 Old 06-16-2005, 09:19 AM
BOOYAH!!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Matman
I wouldn't mind seeing your DIY photos. I have a EX-L as well and had been looking at that option but was put off a bit by the factory instructions. The console part in the ceiling was what scared me, look like a pain to get in it without breaking something.

Have you done the fog lites yet? That is the other project I am interested in but it looks like a pain!!

post #4 of 30 Old 06-16-2005, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matman
I wouldn't mind seeing your DIY photos. I have a EX-L as well and had been looking at that option but was put off a bit by the factory instructions. The console part in the ceiling was what scared me, look like a pain to get in it without breaking something.

Have you done the fog lites yet? That is the other project I am interested in but it looks like a pain!!
I didn't take photos, but you don't need them.

THIS IS FOR THE 05 ONLY. The 04 is slightly more complicated, the 03 even more.

To get the console off, you open the sunglass holder and take out two bolts. Then, you take off the two lens covers (like changing the bulbs) and the whole thing falls out of the ceiling. On the 05 there's a connector waiting for it in there.

I had to drill (5/16" bit) the existing hole in the cover (that comes with the kit), and that was super easy, you're just widening a hole in some plastic. I didn't have to "cut off the ribs" that they describe. I didn't use any EPT sealers as there was nothing to rattle, it's pretty tight.

I wasn't planning on doing the fogs, but I want a wing spoiler pretty bad.

Lemme know if you still have questions.
post #5 of 30 Old 06-16-2005, 11:31 AM
3rd Gear

Don't let the instructions intimidate you. This is cake. I had mine in (05 EX-L I4M) in less than 10 minutes. There are actually 4 screws in the ceiling console - 2 inside the sunglass holder and 1 under each light lens. Once the console was out, I could see the connector pushed back into the ceiling. Be careful working with bare hands - the metal in there is very sharp. Cut the insulating tape they give you into several pieces and put it any place where the wire might rub. Also put a piece between the headliner edge and the wire to keep the sharp edge of the headliner from eventually cutting the wire. I had plenty.

The auto-dim mirror is a very useful mod. Not only do I get lost less, I haven't been blinded by lights from traffic behind me since I've had it. You don't generally even notice it until you think about it and realize that you can always see behind you and never have to reach up and pull the tab to get the light out of your eyes.

Doug M.
post #6 of 30 Old 06-16-2005, 01:26 PM
BOOYAH!!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Matman
I think I see a new mirror in my future! I have a friend that works for the local dealer, have to see if the emp deal beats online. Will let ya know how it goes!!
post #7 of 30 Old 07-06-2005, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

I installed one in my 04 EX-L and it took me about 1.5 hours but I was being extremely carful. It ended up looking great and I love it. The instructions are perfect to the t and it is not very hard. the hardest part was tapeing the wire to the ceiling under the head liner but it wasn't that bad and that part doesn't have to be perfect. I got mine from handa-accessories and I was very happy with the whole experience.
post #8 of 30 Old 07-12-2005, 04:33 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggdogg
1. Take off old mirror, rotating clockwise.
2. Remove old spring, put in new one.
3. Put on new mirror, rotating counterclockwise.
4. Take off overhead console.
5. Remove dummy plug, plug in mirror.
6. Put everything back together and calibrate the compass.
7. Drink beer
Hey, so for step 7, what kind of beer should I be chasing this project with?

I used Corona after installing factory fogs, but feel this might require something stonger. Maybe I didn't use the correct quantity
post #9 of 30 Old 07-20-2005, 03:28 PM
1st Gear

Question on install

Not to sound dumb, but did you disconnect the battery per the "formal" instructions, or was this not necessary?
post #10 of 30 Old 07-20-2005, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wupot
Not to sound dumb, but did you disconnect the battery per the "formal" instructions, or was this not necessary?

Psssh, naw. There's two plugs to unplug and three to plug back in, very simple.
post #11 of 30 Old 07-21-2005, 07:54 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Quote:
Psssh, naw. There's two plugs to unplug and three to plug back in, very simple.
Just keep in mind that there are hot terminals right next to your grounded screw/socket driver when you remove the 2 screws under the map light covers. I wrapped the metal shaft of my socket wrench with electrical tape just to be safe.

Doug M.

Doug M.
2005 4-dr EX-L I4MT
post #12 of 30 Old 07-21-2005, 02:45 PM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

You could leave the door open for 10 minutes or simply flick the off switch so the lights would go out first. The power is cut off from a remote switch so there is no current going to the lights. I didn't bother with the battery. As long as you don't accidentally hit the white switch to turn on the lights you're safe.

If you're worried, you can always disconnect your battery first. The radio preset won't go away if you reconnect the battery within a few hours (at least in my '05). Actually, come to think of it, I don't think the radio stations are stored in volatile memory so it should stay "memorized" indefinately. You just got to know what the radio anti-theft code is if you remove the battery cable.
post #13 of 30 Old 07-21-2005, 02:50 PM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

It helps to remove the sun visor retaining clips. Just twist them 90 degrees counter clockwise and they should pop right out. The wire for the mirror is supposed to attach to the headliner, not the ceiling.

Honda's directions:
"Attach the mirror harness to the roof liner with
three pieces of the EPT sealer in the areas
shown."

Directions if you need it.
post #14 of 30 Old 08-02-2005, 04:10 AM
1st Gear

A few more questions about the Auto-dimming mirror.

I am considering adding Auto-dimming mirror to my EX-L as well, but have a few more questions.

First: Is there a way to adjust the dimming of the mirror? so for example if the mirror did not dimm enough or dimmed too much it could be adjusted.

Two: How large is the mirror in height? I would like to compare to my stock mirror to see if my visibility around it would be reduced. also is it any wider?

Three: Installation - when taking off the map light covers, which side of the covers do you pry? the side towards the centerline of the car or the outboard side. They look very easy to break, this is really the only part of the installation that concerns me. What did you use to pry with?

Four: Where did you buy your mirror? I'm looking for a place to buy one that is reputable, but also cheap. If you bought online please post a link to the site or suggest a site.

Thanks in advance.
post #15 of 30 Old 08-02-2005, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNjax904

I am considering adding Auto-dimming mirror to my EX-L as well, but have a few more questions.

First: Is there a way to adjust the dimming of the mirror? so for example if the mirror did not dimm enough or dimmed too much it could be adjusted.

Two: How large is the mirror in height? I would like to compare to my stock mirror to see if my visibility around it would be reduced. also is it any wider?

Three: Installation - when taking off the map light covers, which side of the covers do you pry? the side towards the centerline of the car or the outboard side. They look very easy to break, this is really the only part of the installation that concerns me. What did you use to pry with?

Four: Where did you buy your mirror? I'm looking for a place to buy one that is reputable, but also cheap. If you bought online please post a link to the site or suggest a site.

Thanks in advance.

First: Nope, the mirror either dims or doesn't dim. It's not adjustable. But I don't know of any that are, and I have no complaints.

Two: The mirror is larger in height due to the compass, but the viewable area is the same, as far as I can tell.

Three: I used a small, flatblade screwdriver to pry the front and back (with respect to the car) of the covers. Started in the back. Wrap it in tape to keep it from scratching the panel.

Four: I bought it at hondacuraworld,
Make sure you tell them it's an EXL.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.