Autodimming mirror on 05 EXL? - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 30 Old 08-02-2005, 08:40 AM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

Let me add a little more info about the mirror.... The auto-dimming feature infinitely varies depending on the exterior lighting and the headlight glare from behind. There are two light sensors on the mirror. The one towards the front (back of mirror) is for the ambient lighting (sunny, cloudy, tunnel lighting, pitch dark, etc). The one next to the compass is to determine the amount of glare (light) coming from the vehicle behind you.

The dimming rate is non adjustable, but you could always disable the auto dimming feature temporarily if needed. It takes about 3 seconds to go from full dimming to non dimming and vice-versa. At first, I found the dimming to be a little on the dark side, but that's only because I'm used to not setting the regular mirror to "night mode" unless there's big truck tailgating me. But now that I'm used to it, I realize that it provides the correct dimming all the time.

Hondaacuraworld is the cheapest place you're going to be able to find the mirror. They sell it for $180 right now, and most places I've seen sell it for over $200. Besides, they're our official vendor of Honda parts! (shameless plug for a great company)

Advertisement

post #17 of 30 Old 10-05-2005, 06:49 PM
1st Gear

Any info if there is a mirror like this available for 2002 year?

post #18 of 30 Old 10-05-2005, 10:16 PM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

Not sure if there's a OEM auto-dimming mirror, but you could try here:

post #19 of 30 Old 10-06-2005, 06:26 AM
4th Gear

The Mito mirrors, as well as most self dimming mirrors are made by the same company. The correct fitment depends on how the mirror is mounted in the car. Almost all recent Hondas can be retrofitted with the self dimming mirror with the use of the adapter kit/button. The main install difference is the way the mirrors are wired. The oem mirror plugs into the wire harness, while the aftermarket harness just uses wire taps to make the connections. Both work well. We have navi so we just got the self dimming mirror only, no frills.

2004 Mercedes Benz- SL 500R- Silver (Wife's Toy)
2003 BMW M5 - Carbon Black (My Toy)
2005 Accord EX V-6 with Navi, Deep Green Pearl
2003 BMW 325i - Sapphire Black
1998 Accord EX V-6, Nighthawk Black Pearl
post #20 of 30 Old 10-06-2005, 08:31 AM
1st Gear

adapter kit/button ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoncoach
The Mito mirrors, as well as most self dimming mirrors are made by the same company. The correct fitment depends on how the mirror is mounted in the car. Almost all recent Hondas can be retrofitted with the self dimming mirror with the use of the adapter kit/button. The main install difference is the way the mirrors are wired. The oem mirror plugs into the wire harness, while the aftermarket harness just uses wire taps to make the connections. Both work well. We have navi so we just got the self dimming mirror only, no frills.
dragoncoach,

What does the adapter kit/button consist of and what is required for the install?

Did you also get the wire cover?

All of these can be purchase for about $100 delivered for the standard dimming mirror w/o compass. I just don't want to look too non OEM.

Thanks

2005 EX-L Nav, 4-cyl auto, Graphite Pearl
post #21 of 30 Old 10-06-2005, 09:18 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkgt
dragoncoach,

What does the adapter kit/button consist of and what is required for the install?

Did you also get the wire cover?

All of these can be purchase for about $100 delivered for the standard dimming mirror w/o compass. I just don't want to look too non OEM.

Thanks
It's not really a kit. It is just an adapter button which slips over the one attached to the glass. This allows the new mirror to be mounted where the oem one is mounted. As for the non oem look, you can't really tell the difference. It's just a little bigger all around. You don't need a wire cover because all you are running are 2 wires from the mirror to the headliner. A wire cover would probably make the harness more noticibale.

2004 Mercedes Benz- SL 500R- Silver (Wife's Toy)
2003 BMW M5 - Carbon Black (My Toy)
2005 Accord EX V-6 with Navi, Deep Green Pearl
2003 BMW 325i - Sapphire Black
1998 Accord EX V-6, Nighthawk Black Pearl
post #22 of 30 Old 10-06-2005, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info

post #23 of 30 Old 10-06-2005, 11:00 AM
Out of Control

Thanks for the link. I want one. but no way am I buying the over priced Honda unit. After my fight with the trim kit. I fig. they owe me one. No more Honda acc.

09 HCHII,w/Navi,I4,CVT Crap,Atomic Blue/Beige,70k Miles (Dull/MPG/Quite Civic)
07 Mazda3 S Touring,I4,5MT,Purple/Charcoal,80k Miles (Civic What?)
00 Ranger Ext,XLT,I4,5MT,White/Gray,200k Miles (Thinks it's a F-150)

X, 05 Accord EX Sedan,I4,5AT,Red/Gray,89k Miles (My Fav. Accord Gen)
X, 06 Civic EX Sedan,w/Navi,I4,5MT,Silver/Gray,44k Miles (No Better Than GM Junk)

Can you save a gal. here and there then blow a half gallon playing with the tach? It can be done!
post #24 of 30 Old 10-06-2005, 05:33 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack
Thanks for the link. I want one. but no way am I buying the over priced Honda unit. After my fight with the trim kit. I fig. they owe me one. No more Honda acc.
I did a little research today; the mirrors Mitto sells are Gentex mirrors same as used by most OEMs.

They come in a variety of styles depending on whether you want the extras, compass, outside temp, homelink, map lights, led mood lights or some combination of the above.

This e-bay seller sells many configurations listed and not listed. The simplest and cheapest just auto dimming is only $75.00 shipped.

They do not come with the Honda plug on the harness. So if you don't need the compass and don't mind splicing into a couple of wires you can save almost $100.00. You also need the $12.00 adapter mentioned above.

I decided to get one with a three button homelink built in plus adapter for $182.00 delivered.

I will let you know late next week how it looks and installs if anyone is interested. Pictures too if desired.

Thanks for the help.
Greg

post #25 of 30 Old 10-23-2005, 05:55 PM
1st Gear

I received the mirror in time to install it last weekend. It is OEM quality, and looks and functions very well.

Having the three Homelink buttons for the same price ($182.00 delv.) as the Honda mirror made it a very good deal. I needed all three buttons for my garage and shop so it got rid of two remotes and gave me great dimming.

The only down side is that you have to splice into your wiring harness up in the headliner. Not for those that want plug and play.

post #26 of 30 Old 11-04-2005, 06:50 AM
1st Gear

Quote:

I will let you know late next week how it looks and installs if anyone is interested. Pictures too if desired.

Thanks for the help.
Greg
Greg, I am interested in the install and any photos... on a previous thread, it was mentioned that the 03 was even harder....can anyone comment? Thanks.

Ken
03 Accord Coupe
EX 6MT w/ NAVI
post #27 of 30 Old 12-24-2005, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

I tried this link and can't find any autodim's with the homelink. An internet search came up with them but at quite a bit more than you paid. Can you hlep me with this?

Quote:
I did a little research today; the mirrors Mitto sells are Gentex mirrors same as used by most OEMs.

They come in a variety of styles depending on whether you want the extras, compass, outside temp, homelink, map lights, led mood lights or some combination of the above.

This e-bay seller sells many configurations listed and not listed. The simplest and cheapest just auto dimming is only $75.00 shipped.

They do not come with the Honda plug on the harness. So if you don't need the compass and don't mind splicing into a couple of wires you can save almost $100.00. You also need the $12.00 adapter mentioned above.

I decided to get one with a three button homelink built in plus adapter for $182.00 delivered.

Thanks for the help.
Greg

'06 EXL/Nav I4 AT Carbon Bronze Pearl/Black Leather
My other ride is an '04 2500 Dodge Cummins/Diesel Beast
post #28 of 30 Old 09-18-2009, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

Update, anyone know if this is the same fitment on an o7 HAH?
post #29 of 30 Old 05-15-2016, 07:57 AM
2007 Accord EX-L K24-Auto

This seems like a good thread for my Homelink / Autodim mirror installation for my 2007 EX-L sedan.

Having been "hooked" on the auto-dimming since our 2002 Lexus IS300 and wanting the Homelink garage door control, I did some research (finding the 2nd generation Gentex to be faster responding) and purchased a couple Gentex 453 models off eBay for the $20-40 price range. Right now, these can be had from NEW OLD STOCK for only $60. This is the mirror the dealer sells for many cars for $200-400. These old OEM models worked perfect on our Pontiac Vibe as they already had the wedge mount for them.

Enter the Accord - replacing my 2004 Vibe GT. It, as noted here and elsewhere, has a less common button mount mirror. Bummed, I searched more about options. I declined the OEM kit as it only has the auto-dim. The Homelink is another option. Both of these would be over $200. The removing from the ball mount and trying to put the Gentex on the factory ball was a no-go: won't go back on even IF they were the same size. I FINALLY came across a button mount adapter - converts the OEM button to a more common wedge mount! Here it is:
I am ordering now.

Additionally, it looks like the OEM connector kit would be handy and only $25 or so.

All in all, $30 mirror, $20 mount adapter and $25 wiring kit makes for a $75 autodimming and homelink installation.

If you ebay a used mirror, MAKE SURE YOU GET THE HARNESS WITH IT. No sense having a mirror with just some tiny pins to try to connect to. My Gentex 453 has the wiring of BLACK = ground, BLACK/RED = power. I did not use any of the other 3 wires on the 10 pin connector.
post #30 of 30 Old 05-15-2016, 08:10 AM
2007 Accord EX-L K24-Auto

Subaru part appears to be the exact same thing

the Subaru part H501SSA041 button to wedge adapter seems to be the exact same part for much less - $11.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.