Are the Honda OEM Exhaust Tips (for 7th Gen) SS or Chrome? - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 50 Old 06-20-2005, 06:47 PM
Drive It Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Two
$8.48 apiece at my local Advance Auto . . . part # 62-1106 . . .
Thanks for the specifics! I went right out to the closest Advance Auto and found only 1 tip, but got the 2nd tip today near work. These exhaust tips and a simple chrome license bracket really give a finished, but subtle and understated, look that I wanted for the Accord's rear.

The tips are a good fit and perfect length. I slid the clamp on as far as possible so the tips are maybe an inch longer than the stock pipe and sit nicely just below the contour of the bumper. Tightening, then loosening, helped get the clamp farther onto the pipe before final tightening.

Advance should be selling a ton of these things to Accord owners.

Advertisement

post #17 of 50 Old 06-21-2005, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

n1 - glad I could help! Got pics?

Here's another tip. The screws on the clamps and the tip itself are not SS and will start to rust. I replaced all mine with SS M5x0.8 at 13mm (1/2") long from the Home Depot. They were $0.37 for a 2-pack or $1.48 total for both tips.

Current: 2011 Alabaster Silver Metallic Accord Crosstour EX-L - born on 11/5/11

Previous: 2006 Alabaster Silver Metallic EX-L - born on 3/31/06, sold on 11/5/11
post #18 of 50 Old 06-21-2005, 04:29 AM
Out of Control

Local muffler shop here will install ( welded on ) SS tips for 20 bucks each.

09 HCHII,w/Navi,I4,CVT Crap,Atomic Blue/Beige,70k Miles (Dull/MPG/Quite Civic)
07 Mazda3 S Touring,I4,5MT,Purple/Charcoal,80k Miles (Civic What?)
00 Ranger Ext,XLT,I4,5MT,White/Gray,200k Miles (Thinks it's a F-150)

X, 05 Accord EX Sedan,I4,5AT,Red/Gray,89k Miles (My Fav. Accord Gen)
X, 06 Civic EX Sedan,w/Navi,I4,5MT,Silver/Gray,44k Miles (No Better Than GM Junk)

Can you save a gal. here and there then blow a half gallon playing with the tach? It can be done!

post #19 of 50 Old 06-22-2005, 07:00 PM
Drive It Forever

PepBoy stocks the same exhaust tip as AdvanceAuto. The price difference is inexplicable:

PepBoy $13.99
Advance $8.48

Again, kudos to R2 for the tip ( pun intended) on Advance Auto and the good follow up tip (sorry) on SS screws.
post #20 of 50 Old 06-23-2005, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Trip
I tried the Auto Advance exhaust tips twice for my Civic Wagon. I went thru two sets of them. The first set (dual exhaust tips) was put on in November and thoroughly rusted out by March. I put a second set on in March and they were gone by the fall. I bit the bullet aned paid $25 a piece for the Honda OEM and kicked myself for not jsut ndoing this to begin with. They've already out lasted the last two sets with still not a spot of rust on them, but they're designed much better. They fit and center perfectly with the spacers that are built in. One thing I did change were the set screws like one person mentioned...I picked up a set of stainless steelies and slathered everything in anti-sieze

The OEM tips I got for my Prelude 3 years ago are still in perfect shape, too.
post #21 of 50 Old 06-24-2005, 04:38 PM
6th Gear

Remember that some SS will rust such as 301SS. You have to have 304 or maybe 303 SS before it won't rust.

---------------------
2002 Accord EXVL Auto Sedan - Nighthawk Black Pearl / Quartz, fog lights, mud guards, wheel locks, trunk tray
1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT Auto Coupe
post #22 of 50 Old 07-03-2005, 11:23 AM
Drive It Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Two
Here's another tip. The screws on the clamps and the tip itself are not SS and will start to rust. I replaced all mine with SS M5x0.8 at 13mm (1/2") long from the Home Depot. They were $0.37 for a 2-pack or $1.48 total for both tips.
Went looking for the SS bolts, but the folks at Home Depot here couldn't find them. They suggested a specialty house which I'll follow up on because the bolts have started to rust already.
post #23 of 50 Old 07-03-2005, 11:29 AM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
You MAY find some at a marine store.... I think most "rust proof" would be zinc, wouldn't they? I believe that's what we have to use for the pool stuff....
post #24 of 50 Old 07-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Drive It Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess
You MAY find some at a marine store.... I think most "rust proof" would be zinc, wouldn't they? I believe that's what we have to use for the pool stuff....
Thanks for the thought. While zinc is available, I believe that it is a coating and may not be entirely rust proof. Zinc may not even be available on fine thread machine bolts??? Regardless a marine store is a good idea b/c they have a lot of stainless hardware as well as zinc. Thanks!
post #25 of 50 Old 07-03-2005, 05:36 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1accord
Thanks for the thought. While zinc is available, I believe that it is a coating and may not be entirely rust proof. Zinc may not even be available on fine thread machine bolts??? Regardless a marine store is a good idea b/c they have a lot of stainless hardware as well as zinc. Thanks!

Interesting. After one year--car's b-day is Tuesday , mine have no rust at all.
post #26 of 50 Old 07-04-2005, 08:49 AM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
You're right.... I was wrong about zinc... it's used for some things as a sacrifice metal.... but a marine store still may have SS for you!
post #27 of 50 Old 07-04-2005, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1accord
Went looking for the SS bolts, but the folks at Home Depot here couldn't find them. They suggested a specialty house which I'll follow up on because the bolts have started to rust already.
n1 - The Home Depot I went to had them in the "specialty hardware" sections. They had a few drawers marked "Stainless Steel" and the screws were in those drawers, 2 per bag. If I remember correctly, the drawers for the SS screws/nuts/etc. were blue. I had no luck at Lowe's and was going to try Sears Hardware if I struck out at HD. Good luck!

Current: 2011 Alabaster Silver Metallic Accord Crosstour EX-L - born on 11/5/11

Previous: 2006 Alabaster Silver Metallic EX-L - born on 3/31/06, sold on 11/5/11
post #28 of 50 Old 11-28-2005, 12:42 PM
2004 Accord EX V6

I'm looking at getting a set of aftermarket tips for my black V6 sedan, but I haven't been able to track down those 3A Racing that Rouge Two mentioned here in Canada. However I was able to find some tips by at Canadian Tire. They had two stainless steel bolt on tips for $16.99CDN which were both very similar except one was round and the other was oval (part #7000 and #7001)

I was having trouble picturing them on my car and wanted to get some opinions on weather round or oval exhaust tips look better. I'm leaning towards the oval tips.
post #29 of 50 Old 11-28-2005, 02:40 PM
2004 Accord EX V6

Ignore my last post. I found out Canadian Tire can special order the 3 A Racing tips that were mentioned earlier in the thread. They come out to $10.15 plus tax. They are usually shipped within 3 or 4 business days. They can also be ordered online from (and I would bet for those in the USA).
post #30 of 50 Old 11-28-2005, 03:57 PM
Can you say 270HP?

Funny. The tips used to be standard on 5th gen accords and older. Both of my Accords have them the 89' and the 96'! Can you say 'Cost Cutting'

Current:
2004 ACURA TL ASPEC 6spd
2006 Honda Accord LX V6
1996 Honda Accord LX Sedan 100,045k
Previous:
2001 Honda Accord LX-L Sedan 103,422k
1989 Honda Accord SE-I Sedan MINT! 92k,
2006 Accord EX V6 6-spd Sedan! - 9k
2003 Honda Accord EX-L 5spd Sedan Totaled:( R.I.P., 1986 Honda Accord LX Sedan - 127k in 2001, 1984 Honda Accord LX Hatchback - 265k in 1999
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.