whats difference between HID and xenon bulbs? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-09-2008, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
i like sunroofs

whats difference between HID and xenon bulbs?

i want to get some blue xenon bulbs and they are quite cheap for around 20-30 bucks for a pair. However, what is the difference between HID and xenon bulbs? i keep hearing about HID but they cost over a hundred bucks and installation is quite different with ballast, etc.

2008 accord coupe EX-L tafetta white
AT of course, cuz i can't multitask
blue LED interior lighting
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-09-2008, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Moved to Accessories forum.

As for the technology, for the most part you will get what you paid for.

Tinted Xenon gas filled bulbs are nothing more than a fraud for what those vendors charge, they have less usable light output and cost far more than they are being sold for.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Ice
6th Gear

From the link gaviota posted:

Xenon H.I.D. (High Intensity Discharge) lighting is a superior lighting technology. Instead of having a filament inside the bulb, it is replaced with xenon gas. When the xenon gas ignites, it produces a vivid and bright light that is 3X more powerful than that of a halogen bulb.

This technology also allows for the bulb to ignite at a higher color temperature: which gives it the white / blue coloration.

Xenon gas-filled bulbs and other halogen 'xenon' bulbs are simply a standard halogen bulb that is either coated with a blue film on the outside and/or filled with a gas to imitate the look of a true xenon HID bulb. These bulbs produces much less light than xenon HID bulbs and often less than that of a standard halogen bulb. Xenon gas-filled bulbs also suffer from a short 6-month life-span.

In other word, "Xenon" halogen is nothing more than marketing gimmicks. It's fake and it actually produces LESS light than uncoated halogen. Why would you want blue bulbs anyway?

2013 EX-L Sport V6, MSM/Black

Mods
- Llumar 30 + Air Blue 80
- B&I Wood Trim, exLED interior, deck lid spoiler, WeatherTech floor liner
- MUGEN Hydrophilic mirror, Sill garnish, SS RSX pedals
- Injen CAI, RV6 HFPC, Redtail exhaust, Sport wheels
- Rammat BXTII, Ensolite, Big 3
- Audison bit Ten, Kenwood XR-5S, Vifa XT25, Hertz HV165, IDQ12
- RX8 Projectors w/ Curved shield + E30 lens, Hella Gen 3, Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI, Philips HIR2, VLED VX3

2008 EX-L Night Hawk/Ivory, RIP

post #4 of 13 Old 08-09-2008, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
i like sunroofs

cuz my interior has blue LED. if i can switch to blue turn signals, i would too.

post #5 of 13 Old 08-09-2008, 10:57 AM
5th Gear

xenon is the light emitting gas found in HIDs.

2008 Honda Accord EXL w/ Nav. V6 Coupe NBP
Modifications:
Retro Solutions 55W 5000k HID KIT
V-LED interior and exterior
3M 20% Tints

OLD RIDES:
2006 BMW 330i
2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited
1998 Inifnit Q45
post #6 of 13 Old 08-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

You should know that blue light is actually poor for visibility, that's why they weren't used by automotive manufacturers even after the technology became available to generate blue light efficiently.

Else the car makers would have turned to the blue headlights.

FWIW, blue interior lights may look cool, but blue exterior lights are poor from visibility perspective.

If you want the looks, fine, but just keep in mind that you won't see as well as even just the regular headlights and that may be the difference with being able to avoid an accident.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

post #7 of 13 Old 08-09-2008, 05:30 PM
6th Gear

Aviography is right, blue light will give you poorer visibility outside, especially in bad weather. Same goes for the interior lights really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestarter777 View Post
cuz my interior has blue LED. if i can switch to blue turn signals, i would too.
If you are serious, I would look into sylvania silverstar turn signals. They are coated with a very thin layer of bluish/purple irridescent film. Your turn signals will remain perfectly legal, as they light up orange (even a little brighter than stock), but you will get the look of a blue bulb in your housing.

If you meant you want your turn signals to light up blue,

2008 NBP EX Coupe | 5000k HIDs | LED interior/reverse | Harmon Kardon Ipod Interface | 35% tints | Hyper Yellow DRL | LED Halo Fogs | Silverstar Turn Signals | Chrome Grille Strips/Mesh lower grille | Taillight Tint
post #8 of 13 Old 08-09-2008, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
i like sunroofs

naw, i will just keep my headlights as is. it seems very bright already so i am not gonna waste time installing a HID kit. might just go the route of buying the xenon bulbs and just replace them. only problem is, they burn out within a year and i dont think i want the hassle of changing it every year.

is there anyone in arizona that has already installed a HID kit?

post #9 of 13 Old 08-10-2008, 12:19 AM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestarter777 View Post
i am not gonna waste time installing a HID kit. might just go the route of buying the xenon bulbs and just replace them...
As you'll spend ~30 minutes changing the halogen-bulbs to xenon-bulbs, installing an HID plug-n-play kit will take ~35 minutes. Considering you have an '08 Accord coupe which comes w/ projector-headlights, you really are primed for HID's.

If you do choose to go the xenon-type bulb route, go w/ a reputable brand like Polarg, PIAA, Raybrig, Sylvania Ultra-Silverstar, etc'. They'll last much longer, won't over-heat, and actually improve your visibility while giving off a nice, cool-white light.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-10-2008, 02:52 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris_x11 View Post

If you do choose to go the xenon-type bulb route, go w/ a reputable brand like Polarg, PIAA, Raybrig, Sylvania Ultra-Silverstar, etc'. They'll last much longer, won't over-heat, and actually improve your visibility while giving off a nice, cool-white light.
Or you can also go with HOEN. I have them on my 08 sedan for Low Beam and Fogs. Had them also on my previous S4 fogs and current Carrera S fogs. Lasted for well over 1 yr with out a problem.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 07:29 AM
That's what she said

I had 2 sets of the blue colored bulbs on my del sol. I stopped using the blue tinted bulbs after the first pair because it got to the point where I couldn't even read street signs any more. I went back to regular bulbs, but someone bought me higher wattage blue tinted bulbs. Still same results. Blue or purple tinted bulbs are fraud, and shouldn't sold for headlights.

My new car

2011 Subaru WRX Dark Gray Metallic

Takeda cold air intake

Traded in
08 Nighthawk Black LX-S 5M
15% tint all around
Retro-Solutions 6000K 35W

Don't use generic LED's
post #12 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 11:49 AM
3rd Gear

I agree with you with most cheap bulbs, but the reputable ones in my experience were quite on par with OEM, and at times are better.

Were your bulbs from one of the mentioned reputable brands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk4 View Post
I had 2 sets of the blue colored bulbs on my del sol. I stopped using the blue tinted bulbs after the first pair because it got to the point where I couldn't even read street signs any more. I went back to regular bulbs, but someone bought me higher wattage blue tinted bulbs. Still same results. Blue or purple tinted bulbs are fraud, and shouldn't sold for headlights.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 12:15 PM
That's what she said

They were both in the plastic jazzy looking containers with some sort of Japanese writing. They both said Xenon. My first set was $50 in 2001, my second set was $25 2003.

IMO - Sylvania cool blues had the best performance of any (bluish) halogen bulb that I've used. In a dark area at night, they had a nice cool blue tint.

My new car

2011 Subaru WRX Dark Gray Metallic

Takeda cold air intake

Traded in
08 Nighthawk Black LX-S 5M
15% tint all around
Retro-Solutions 6000K 35W

Don't use generic LED's
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.