PIAA Super Silicone Wiper Blades - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-12-2008, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Lex
3rd Gear

PIAA Super Silicone Wiper Blades

Anyone use these?

I have a set on my '04 EX-L and like them. But, it's time to replace (1 yr) them and was looking for other suggestions if you have any.

Find something just as good but less $$$.? Looking at $48+ for a set of new ones...not the just blade replacement.

Lex

2012 Acura TSX
2004 Lexus LS430
2013 Toyota Highlander

Previously owned:
2010 Accord 4-door EX-L V-6 (AT), silver{TRADED}
2007 Accord EX-L (I4) {TRADED}
2004 Accord 4-door EX-L, I-4 (automatic), Graphite pearl...RETIRED at 263,000 miles!!!
2000 Accord LX (I4) {TRADED}
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-12-2008, 08:14 PM

I have had exceptional luck with these. I bet they'll outlast the PIAAs.

My son put them on his 2004 EV and said they didn't completely follow the contour of his windshield. I haven't put them on the '07 yet, but I will. This company is local to me, I know many of the principals, having worked with them in a previous life, and they have a very good product and will stand behind it.

"Communication isn't what you say. It's what they hear." - Red Auerbach

2015 EX-L V6, Modern Steel/Black
2007 SE I4 5AT, Cool Blue, 77k

Also in the family:

2009 TSX, navy, auto
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Ltd
2015 Crosstour V6, black
2013 Civic EX, gray
2014 Honda HRX217 (2)

Departed:
2004 EX I4 5MT, Desert Mist, 175,552
2001 Accord EX I4 5MT, Satin Silver, oil slick at 86K
1999 EX-LV, Heather Mist, 146,567
1994 Accord LX I4 5 MT ABS, Malachite Green, 285k
post #3 of 11 Old 01-14-2008, 01:56 PM
2nd Gear

Send a message via AIM to striktlyaccord
I also use the PIAA blades during the warmer months and I have my likes and dislikes. Likes - they do repel water real well, to the point where you don't even have to use the wipers while driving fast enough on the highway because the water sheets off due to the wind. Dislikes - the silicone leaves a thin layer of film on the windshield that makes it appear dirty.

Why not just buy the refills and not the whole assembly? I've also heard good things about those Silblades as well. Nice warranty too.

--Dave--

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 01-14-2008, 02:42 PM

Actually back there, I should have said his 2004 EX. Interesting comment about the filmy buildup with the PIAAs. The reason the PIAAs, Silblades, and all other silicone wiper blades work is the presence of a thin film of PTFE (known commonly by the brand name Teflon) on the wiper surface. That film allows the blade to travel smoothly over the surface without the chattering that would occur if the blade were pure silicone rubber. That PTFE film allows permeation of the low molecular weight silicones onto the windshield (creating the Rain-X effect) but also provides that low friction glide. The silicone rubber brings better low temperature flexibility and much better UV/oxidation resistance than the organic rubbers in conventional blades.

In fact, if you want to stretch the life of your conventional wiper blades, when you think they're shot, take a moist towelette (or a rag soaked in isopropyl alcohol - that's what does the trick in the towelette) and wipe the blades several times until the black stops coming off. The blades will work much better for a while - maybe not as good as new, but acceptable - until somebody runs a sale. The alcohol strips off the oxidized rubber and renews the surface amazingly well.

"Communication isn't what you say. It's what they hear." - Red Auerbach

2015 EX-L V6, Modern Steel/Black
2007 SE I4 5AT, Cool Blue, 77k

Also in the family:

2009 TSX, navy, auto
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Ltd
2015 Crosstour V6, black
2013 Civic EX, gray
2014 Honda HRX217 (2)

Departed:
2004 EX I4 5MT, Desert Mist, 175,552
2001 Accord EX I4 5MT, Satin Silver, oil slick at 86K
1999 EX-LV, Heather Mist, 146,567
1994 Accord LX I4 5 MT ABS, Malachite Green, 285k
post #5 of 11 Old 01-14-2008, 03:09 PM
2nd Gear

Send a message via AIM to striktlyaccord
^ Makes sense. I agree with the alcohol wipes too... those "prep pads" that come with the PIAAs are more or less exactly that - alcohol pads that clean and renew the surface contact point (a.k.a. the glass).

--Dave--

post #6 of 11 Old 01-15-2008, 01:45 PM
2nd Deer

I use cheap Michelin wipers ($8/blade?) from Target, and I get the same "rain-x" effect. These wipers seem to last forever.

2004 Accord Sedan EX-L 2.4 5spd manual.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Sittin low at about 80

Hmmmm

I think Ive tried almost every brand of wiper there is on the market for both cars. Ive never experienced a perfect blade. And yes, the silicone makes it look like the front glass is filthy.

Ive also done an experiment about the kinds and designs of wiper blades themselves:

I wanted to try two different kinds of wiper blades on my windshield for 6 months or so, see how they react and perform. The standard blade has the pressure points at certain places. And it wears on those places... so when it rains or snows, I get streaks in THOSE places.

Ive tried this new kind of blade that is one continuous piece of rubber, and its bought in a standard package and its got a kind of bend to it that is flexible for almost any car windshield.

I had the new kind of blade on the driver side and the old style on the pass side.. for about 7 months. Verdict, the new kind sticks to the front glass better, but the wind tends to whip at it easier. The old design still wears in the same 5 or 6 places that always make me crazy.

Current: 2.3ltr I4, 00 Accord 4dr SE, Red ext / Tan int, current mil 197k. Top mi per 17.1 tank 500 Ave 28.mpg. I also do 138.6mi. a day, 12k every 85 days.

My 1st Love: 2.2ltr I4, 4dr 92 Accord LX, Grey ext / Red int. Passed away with 231.150.4 2 Days before Xmas 2006. Top miles per 17gal tank 405.

The PRELUDE to Life ACCORDing to the VIGORous and LEGENDary Accord rules, all else blows.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-15-2008, 04:42 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to krazyfiend
I'm always amazed at the blades the mercedes dealer stocks for my 190e...and they're like 10$ (mind you, one wiper arm...one long 22" blade )

Bosch is the maker, and no, not the ICON series (heard not the best of things about those) these are just regular, run of the mill Bosch blades, repackaged for Mercedes

No 'dirty' build up..lasts for years upon years and conforms very very well (has to with the one wiper arm system)

I also second the use of alcohol with cotton balls or wipes until the black stops coming off... about every season or so I do this

Current Stable-
~'10 Accord Coupe PMM w/Ivory EX-L V6 (pur. 8.24.10) -

~'92 Mercedes 190e i-6 183k miles (1 family ownership)

Past Stable-
08' Accord Coupe PMM w/Blk EX-L V6 31k miles (pur. 10.25.07-sold 8.24.10)
98' V8 Ford SHO Blk on Blk (sold outright)
91' 300zx MT N/A (totaled)
post #9 of 11 Old 01-16-2008, 04:52 PM
VROOMM!!

dunno about piaa
But I used bosch icon, only lasted 2 months
raining every day (seattle)

worst $50 I've ever spend
post #10 of 11 Old 01-19-2008, 03:35 PM
3rd Gear

Just change them every six month, summer and winter blade + raindrop.

02 Accord V6 EX - OK
92 Accord LX - Retired
post #11 of 11 Old 01-30-2008, 03:10 PM
2nd Gear

i use the honda factory blades and rainx fliud in the washer and almost never have to use the wipers the water just rolls off =) i only use the wipers to clean my windsheild when it is dirty.

rain-x is the greatest.

Sapphire Blue Pearl
06 Honda Accord v6 EX Sedan
Clifford Matrx 50.5 alarm system

JDM rear safety plate
K&N short ram intake
HALO 8,000 HID kit for low beam
6,000 HID for high beam
V-LED Switchback White/Amber parking/turn signal lights
LED interior and accents
LED rear turn signals
LED License plate lights

Whats next?... maybe fogs...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.