Replacing Airbags - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-22-2007, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Replacing Airbags

Ok i rear ended someone the other day in my accord. There was very little damage to my car but both airbags did deploy, and aslo the airbags cracked the windsheild. Ive had the windsheild replaced but i have no idea what to do about airbags. My dad bought the car and says i have to replace them one way or another. Ive looked and looked and havent found anything reasonable about replacement airbags. So far the only option ive found is getting OEM replacments, and that would cost me $1000 that i dont have. Im really just looking to replace the drivers side airbag, the cheapest way possible. There is one catch: it must be leagle. Im from New York state and there is a law in NY that states that no junkyard or garage may sell used airbags. So if anyone could help I would appreciate it.

96 Honda Accord
4 door
4 Cylinder
F22B2(non-vtec p.o.s.)
Automatic (hopefully not for long)
Basically stock,other than intake.
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-22-2007, 06:05 PM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
Well ebay is a great starting point. And there are many places that sell repacked airbags where you send in your's for their new ones for a fee. You have to have both airbags installed for the system to function, so replacing one won't work. And you'll need a new control modle and I think a compressor or something like that. It's the thing that makes them 'pop'. What was the airbag like? Did it burn you by any chance??? I havea slight fear of the airbag, but I'm a scardy cat .

post #3 of 18 Old 03-22-2007, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Well the airbag didnt burn. It hurt like a bitch. Especially since i wasnt expecting it at all. I was going appox. 25 mph when i hit the car so there was really no need for the airbags. But its nothing to be scared of lol. It didnt hurt that bad it was more surprising than painful. It did however have a nasty odor and the powder that came off of it when it deployed tasted awful. And my freind who was riding in the passenger seat was hit by the airbag then he bounced off the seat and bashed his head off the rearview mirror. He was fine and so was the other driver. Thanks for the help. I have been looking on ebay but ive had no luck. And im still searching for a site which can supply me with airbags for under $750.

96 Honda Accord
4 door
4 Cylinder
F22B2(non-vtec p.o.s.)
Automatic (hopefully not for long)
Basically stock,other than intake.

post #4 of 18 Old 03-23-2007, 12:43 AM
4th Gear

Glad to hear no one was really hurt. Airbags can be tricky and you don't want to find out the one you put in was defective when you're cruising at 80mph. BTW, did your passenger have his/her seatbelt on? I can't imagine hitting the rearview mirror if you have your belt on.

2004 Mercedes Benz- SL 500R- Silver (Wife's Toy)
2003 BMW M5 - Carbon Black (My Toy)
2005 Accord EX V-6 with Navi, Deep Green Pearl
2003 BMW 325i - Sapphire Black
1998 Accord EX V-6, Nighthawk Black Pearl
post #5 of 18 Old 03-23-2007, 03:00 AM
insomnia rules me :(

that smell of the airbags will haunt me forever.
it is an almost indescribable smell, only way i can is to say it smells like burning circuitry boards with a hint of fireworks.

and they don't burn you, but can knock you out, mine knocked me out. i woke up and the cab was filled with smoke. did yours fill the cab with smoke?

ya ebay is your friend
i know somebody that bought theirs off of ebay. he gave the car to his son and it later got wrecked and they worked

97 2.2 SE Honda Accord has 218k
things to do list: lets just say long right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwcool
u kiddin me, mkiv's are the messiah, suffering for other cars so all the bastard children hondas can roam problem free, ignorant of the sacrifice all us dubbers make
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-23-2007, 05:47 AM
<error: divide by zero>

I bought some for a subaru that I bought that had hit a deer. Not that you will want to hear this... but when I went to get insurance on my car I noticed a section that asked "Were the airbags in your car factory installed" My thought was yes... at one point...

Anyway... How much time do you have? I'd look on ebay for people selling them. If they have something similar, ask if they have something for your car. You could also try car-part.com which you could order it from another salvage yard outside your state.

I think you will need a new control module, and two airbag modules. Many times you can buy them as a kit.

Also look at interchange with other honda models.... it more likely for the drivers airbag and not so much for the passenger.

Mike M

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wheels,
(temp and Maplights),
post #7 of 18 Old 03-23-2007, 05:57 AM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve151
and they don't burn you
Not true, it says in the Owners Manual that it can cause minor to severe burns upon contact. Also, my freidn was burnt by the side airbag in his dads car, so I know it's true.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-23-2007, 06:58 AM

Is it a chemical burn? I dont think its actually a heat source type burn though. These bags use a chemical reaction to inflate so quickly.

Mike M

Wheels,
(temp and Maplights),
post #9 of 18 Old 03-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Jeeps like to be muddy

Send a message via AIM to Accordtx1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmcginn
Is it a chemical burn?
Yes... I have been severely burned by an airbag (Drivers Side). I still have the scars (discolored skin) from where the gasses came in contact with my skin..... the airbag saved my life so I can not complain about some scars... BTW the vehicle was a 1995 Ford F150 and the bag kept me from contacting the steering wheel

2004 Ex-L (AT) Navi, 99K
Foglamps,TL-20mm Rear sway bar, Honda MP3 player,
Auto-dimming Mirror, V6-6speed Tower brace,
Parrot 3200 LS Bluetooth, Infinity Kappas 692.7i Rear, Infinity Kappas 50.7 Front
Navi 2.0 -> .5 goodwill from Honda

2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew - 10K
Tool box, Floorliners
[B]AVG MPG: 18.678[B]
post #10 of 18 Old 03-23-2007, 09:30 AM

they can but normally there are holes that release the heat or chemicals away from you. my jetta's released them toward the windows, and melted the tint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordtx1
Yes... I have been severely burned by an airbag (Drivers Side). I still have the scars (discolored skin) from where the gasses came in contact with my skin..... the airbag saved my life so I can not complain about some scars... BTW the vehicle was a 1995 Ford F150 and the bag kept me from contacting the steering wheel
i'm glad i never recked my 94" ford f-150, i would have died. both my knees touched the dash at all times, with the seat all the way back, and my head would have probably missed the are bag and hit the window. puls the wheel was about 8" from my chest.
ya i am a giant it sucks.

Quote:
u kiddin me, mkiv's are the messiah, suffering for other cars so all the bastard children hondas can roam problem free, ignorant of the sacrifice all us dubbers make
post #11 of 18 Old 03-23-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordtx1

I think the saving of lives is the most important thing. Airbags are a double edged sword though, my mom was driving with her thumb over the center section in a 95 corolla and it pretty much left her with a thumb hanging off by skin and tendon when someone hit her going about 25mph. If she would have been driving right, it wouldnt have happened but if the airbag wasnt there.... She may have full use of it now.

Anyway be careful how you drive.

Mike M

Wheels,
(temp and Maplights),
post #12 of 18 Old 03-23-2007, 09:54 AM
OCD

I thought since they vent the gasses away from you the newer airbags only give you a friction burn

Anyway, good everyone was ok, good luck on finding replacements.

10 Civic Type S GT 1.8L MT I4
05 Accord Coupe LX-SE MT I4 Gone..sniff sniff
post #13 of 18 Old 03-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Jeeps like to be muddy

Send a message via AIM to Accordtx1
my knees touched the dash on the 95' & they still hurt sometimes, but I would not have survived with/ o the bag. ( lady came across 3 lanes of traffic and we collided head on) ( I was going 30 she was going 65 (est. by police report) ) I walked away, she spent a month in the hospital. Ebay is your best bet.... I have seen some go for $550 for both... just save a search and have ebay email you when your criteria are met.

2004 Ex-L (AT) Navi, 99K
Foglamps,TL-20mm Rear sway bar, Honda MP3 player,
Auto-dimming Mirror, V6-6speed Tower brace,
Parrot 3200 LS Bluetooth, Infinity Kappas 692.7i Rear, Infinity Kappas 50.7 Front
Navi 2.0 -> .5 goodwill from Honda

2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew - 10K
Tool box, Floorliners
[B]AVG MPG: 18.678[B]
post #14 of 18 Old 03-23-2007, 10:28 AM

ya i loved my 94 but i knew it was so unsafe and it got horrible gas millage.
so i had to sell her.

Quote:
post #15 of 18 Old 03-23-2007, 05:00 PM
4th Gear

As has been alluded to above, airbags are designed to help make a severe impact survivable ...that does not mean 'injury-free' though. It's also important to note that airbags are intended to supplement the seat belt, not replace them.

Early airbags used sodium azide, a compound that reacts/oxidizes violently when exposed to air thus producing the gas that inflates the bag. More modern designs are using other propellants, but the result is the same: A chemical reacts with air and rapidly produces the inflation gas. A byproduct of the rapid oxidation is also a significant amount of heat. In most cases, the hot gases vent out of holes directed away from the occupant, but burns are certainly still possible.

The 'smoke' that is usually visible after deployment is usually nothing more than the talcum powder used to ensure that the bag unfurls as it should during the few milliseconds that it is doing its duty. However, the powder and residual gas have a very distinctive odor that can be very irritating.

Friction burns are also not uncommon since the surface of the airbag isn't as cushy as those super-slo-mo films would suggest.

Okay, enough of the science class...

To answer the OP's question(s), if it were my car I'd probably go with the OEM parts. They're costly, but they are also a known commodity...something that can hardly be said about parts available on eBay. They're also legal. While I don't have any Honda-specific knowledge, both bags will need to be replaced - and probably the control module - in order to get the self-diagnostics to function and extinguish the SRS dash light.

It's also worth mentioning that this is a service item I probably wouldn't undertake myself. I consider myself fairly handy with the wrenches, but this is an area where an error could be very costly at best, and very dangerous at worst. Having said that though, if you're interested in trying this as a DIY I'd try to get some good advice from a reputable body shop. You'll probably find that while there is some labor involved with getting a mechanic to do the job, most of the replacement cost will be in the parts.

2007 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Navi - Alabaster Silver
2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L RES - Redrock Pearl

Accord Mods: Polk db5250 front, Polk db690 rear, USA Spec PA11-HON2y iPod adapter, OEM Foglights, OEM strut tower brace, Acura TL 17mm rear stabilizer bar
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.