Got My Car Painted at Maaco - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 01-13-2013, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Got My Car Painted at Maaco

I made this post over at the forum but thought I would post it here also as I think it provides pretty graphic info on my experience with getting a Maaco paint job.

This is for information and perhaps a precautionary warning to anyone thinking of getting a Maaco paint job. Also, share your experiences if you have used them before.

I had the infamous Honda clear coat pealing problem when I first bought my car. Got my car painted at Maaco because all the other shops were quoting ridiculous prices. Figured I would give it a try and if I didn't like it I would I would eventually get a more expensive job. It came out okay, I guess but I do have some gripes for anybody who may be interested. For starters, they didn't mask as well as they could have. There were parts of the car that got painted such as the lower radiator and some rubber pieces. See below:

My lower radiator

When I opened the hood a few weeks later, I discovered everything underneath has a red hue. Not painted red but I can tell the engine bay wasn't covered and residue from the spray paint found it's way under there. I don't have pictures but you can probably imagine.

Rubber piece near the windshield wipers. This piece should be black, not red. You can't really tell to look at the car but I know it's there:

I told them I wanted my car painted the factory color but they didn't quite do that. I can tell they used their own paint and it's not quite the same color as the factory. See the examples below:

Here's what my car's factory paint should look like (not my car):

Here's what my car looks after getting Maaco's paint job. I don't know if you can tell but my car is less metallic looking than it should be:

All in all it's a huge improvement since my car was kind of embarrassing to drive with the clear coat pealing from just about the entire surface. But I also feel like I should take it back to Maaco and possibly get some of the money I paid back due to their shabby work and not painting it exactly as I specified. What do you think?

2010 RDX
2008 Mercedes ML350
2005 TL - SOLD
2004 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan - SOLD
The Following User Says Thank You to hondamon For This Useful Post:
Accord#2 (05-01-2015)
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 01-13-2013, 03:04 AM
1st Gear

I used them once a few years back after an accident and regret it. I have two family members who work in auto sales and repair who urged against me using Maaco but I disregarded their protest and paid for it.

I ended up with a sh*t repaint that started peeling after two weeks! My insurance company dished out extra for a better but distant shop to start from scratch and fix the mistakes. It was a PITA to get worked out and I lost a lot of time to phone calls, driving, and swapping loaner cars.

I would go back and be stern. Paint work on vehicles takes a lot of attention to detail and in my experience Maaco doesn't have it. I haven't heard one good thing about them from anyone save testimonial commercials. They need to fix it or pay for another shop of your choice to fix.

post #3 of 48 Old 01-13-2013, 06:29 AM
6th Gear

I went to a local Maaco shop here in Orlando for a quote a few years back and wasn't impressed with the quality of their work. The owner/manager flat out told me that they DO NOT disassemble the vehicle, even if you pay for their "premier" service. He told me that if I wanted a truly professional paint job with the proper prep and attention to detail, to go elsewhere (and spend double the amount, of course). They seem to just primarily specialize in basic "value" paint jobs....although I have heard that each Maaco is a little different, depending on who's operating them (I believe they are independently owned franchises).

1990 Honda Accord LX coupe
130,XXX miles

1989 Honda Accord LX sedan
186,XXX miles

1998 Lexus GS400
170,XXX miles

1992 Cadillac Allante
70,XXX miles

2013 Kia Optima LX
8,xxx miles

post #4 of 48 Old 01-13-2013, 07:22 AM
KH
6th Gear

This is one of those situations where you get what you pay for... The ridiculous prices you were quoted are the difference between a paint job, and a professional paint job. You can usually rival a Maaco job with a spray can in your driveway. No thanks.

~Kevin
'03 NHBP Coupe 6-6, XLR8 V2 j-pipe, Borla stainless exhaust, Ingalls Torque Damper, TL-S Swaybars, Neuspeed short shifter, Eibach Pro springs, Wicked Tuning camber arms, '12 Coupe 18s with 235/45/18 tires, OEM Replica Spoiler, LED tails, exLED Interior Lights projector HLs, GTA Car Kit (iPhone and aux)
post #5 of 48 Old 01-13-2013, 07:31 AM
Honda Racing Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaHonda View Post
I went to a local Maaco shop here in Orlando for a quote a few years back and wasn't impressed with the quality of their work. The owner/manager flat out told me that they DO NOT disassemble the vehicle, even if you pay for their "premier" service. He told me that if I wanted a truly professional paint job with the proper prep and attention to detail, to go elsewhere (and spend double the amount, of course). I have heard that each Maaco is a little different, depending on who's operating them (I believe they are independently owned franchises).
No shop will do that for you! Unless or until you're getting a different colour on your car and you will have to pay more for them to do so. They prefer painting with parts on the car so they don't scratch it up while putting them back on again.

You can always use thinner to get rid off the over spray. It saved me big time a while back

"I live my life in the fast lane"

"Put your two cents in, and get a dollar back"
post #6 of 48 Old 01-13-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM49 View Post
No shop will do that for you!
BS. Plain and simple. Any shop that does the job right will disassemble if needed to paint correctly.

2014 MSM Accord Sport Sedan 6M
post #7 of 48 Old 01-13-2013, 07:59 AM
Honda Racing Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaks2k View Post
BS. Plain and simple. Any shop that does the job right will disassemble if needed to paint correctly.
Its really funny you didn't quote the rest.

My paint job was done right with the parts on the car!! They took it off to fix it and put it back on the car to paint.

post #8 of 48 Old 01-13-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Its really funny you didn't quote the rest.
That's because I didn't have to. If you have your car painted the same color shops that do it the right way will still disassemble if necessary.

post #9 of 48 Old 01-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Honda Racing Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaks2k View Post
That's because I didn't have to. If you have your car painted the same color shops that do it the right way will still disassemble if necessary.
Don't call it "BS" then

Usually they won't and why would they when they don't have too if not getting a different colour on the car? They will if they have to fix up few things and might disassemble few minor things like door handles, side molding and etc.

Disassemble car > doors, bumpers, headlights, tail lights, hood and etc

post #10 of 48 Old 01-13-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Don't call it "BS" then
You make no valid point for me not calling BS. In fact, you make it worse for yourself.
So which one is it? First you say

Quote:
No shop will do that for you!
Then you say

Quote:
They will if they have to fix up few things and might disassemble few minor things like door handles, side molding and etc.
Disassemble car > doors, bumpers, headlights, tail lights, hood and etc
Make up your mind.

post #11 of 48 Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 AM
6th Gear

When I had my 92 Prelude repainted (the same color), they removed ALL of the lights, side mirrors, door handles, badges, rubber trim, spoiler, etc. and painted them separately. Ditto for the shop that painted my 96 Accord...which also removed the bumpers and a few other parts, but I did pay a bit more for that paint job.

1990 Honda Accord LX coupe
130,XXX miles

1989 Honda Accord LX sedan
186,XXX miles

1998 Lexus GS400
170,XXX miles

1992 Cadillac Allante
70,XXX miles

2013 Kia Optima LX
8,xxx miles
post #12 of 48 Old 01-13-2013, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

I had a full front end repaint done on my summery hobby car last year by a high-end boutique paint shop, the hood and both fenders were painted on the car, the front bumper was removed to be painted separately.

The shop masked off the rest of the car, the front wheel cavity area, and the rad/condensor on the front of the car precisely to avoid the paint overspray in these areas, they also used cylindrical foam "rods" similar to those used in homes to seal window/door frame cavity to prevent draft, it did an excellent job to control overspray around the hood band fender gaps.

Obviously the headlights and marker lights were also removed too, a cheap paint shop will try to mask off everything to save time/money, where a good paint shop will remove what makes sense even if the color remains the same.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 48 Old 01-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

I would call this lesson learned. What I would do is try to get all the oversprayed areas cleaned up. Down the road when you go to sell or trade that thing no one will offer much for it or perhaps even want it.

I went through a similar incident in my '04 of the same color. The damage was beneath the front (high curb). They painted everything except what needed painting. Terrible terrible work. I raised enough hell that they did take care of it. A month later the store shut down.....good riddance.

Once you get all that mess cleaned up, no matter who does it, I would plan on getting rid of the car pronto if at all possible. Their paint jobs look like hell in a year or two IF it makes it that long.
post #14 of 48 Old 01-13-2013, 10:03 AM
4th Gear

Looking at your photos and your description, I think you pretty much got what you paid for. I think it looks very good. Did they put in writing that they would exactly match the original color? Frankly, I like their color better than the original.

Next time if you want a perfect job, you are going to have to go to a specialty shop that charges more.

I went to Maaco for a quote a few years ago and the clerk was super high pressure said his bargain price would expire at 6 pm, etc.

I went to another place and got just as good a deal and the work was B+, which was good for what I had paid for it.
post #15 of 48 Old 01-13-2013, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaHonda View Post
I went to a local Maaco shop here in Orlando for a quote a few years back and wasn't impressed with the quality of their work. The owner/manager flat out told me that they DO NOT disassemble the vehicle, even if you pay for their "premier" service. He told me that if I wanted a truly professional paint job with the proper prep and attention to detail, to go elsewhere (and spend double the amount, of course). They seem to just primarily specialize in basic "value" paint jobs....although I have heard that each Maaco is a little different, depending on who's operating them (I believe they are independently owned franchises).
I've heard that also. I'm pretty sure some franchises hire people with absolutely no experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmh1596 View Post
This is one of those situations where you get what you pay for... The ridiculous prices you were quoted are the difference between a paint job, and a professional paint job. You can usually rival a Maaco job with a spray can in your driveway. No thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
I would call this lesson learned.
Totally agree with both these statements and in reality, I knew the risks going in. I had heard the warnings and done some research on the internet beforehand. Thought I would take a chance anyway in hope of getting lucky. I'm not really unhappy with the finish as there are no flaws. I'll take it back to see if I can get some $$ knocked off or demand they clean it up some and see what it gets me but the imperfections aren't bad enough for it to be a big issue for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchflorida View Post
Looking at your photos and your description, I think you pretty much got what you paid for. I think it looks very good. Did they put in writing that they would exactly match the original color? Frankly, I like their color better than the original.

Next time if you want a perfect job, you are going to have to go to a specialty shop that charges more.

I went to Maaco for a quote a few years ago and the clerk was super high pressure said his bargain price would expire at 6 pm, etc.

I went to another place and got just as good a deal and the work was B+, which was good for what I had paid for it.
Haha! All my friends have been telling me their color is better and the original color was too girly, anyway. I kind of like Maaco's color as well which is why I'm not upset about it. It's just that I didn't get what I asked for that kind of bothers me. They didn't guarantee they would paint it exactly to match the original factory colors and honestly, it never crossed my mind to ask it. I just figured a well known body shop would at least get that part right. I did get a 4 year guarantee against the paint chipping, pealing or fading so if I start having trouble in 2 years as somebody said, I can take it back and have it repainted free of charge.

2010 RDX
2008 Mercedes ML350
2005 TL - SOLD
2004 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan - SOLD

Last edited by namegoeshere; 09-20-2016 at 07:42 AM. Reason: merge
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.