God the lexus dealers give me so much crap for an oil change - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 05-24-2011, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

God the lexus dealers give me so much crap for an oil change

I get that lexus feels their cars/suvs can go 10k without oil change, but i refuse to buy into it.

My mother owns a 2010 RX 350 and barely drives it. This coming november will be the 2nd year of owning it, yet the car has yet to hit 20k miles on it. It's been atleast a year since the last oil change, so i decided to take it in to get it changed.

I walk in and they pull up the info and tell me "it hasnt been 10k since the last oil change. they go 10k miles before it". "oh? well its been a YEAR since it got it done. Last time i took it in, they refused to change it." I said.Granted it was at 15k miles.

I had to fight them to check the air filter and get an oil change. It got to the point where i didnt care if i got charged for the change; I just want it done.

$90 later i left the dealership with an oil change. Hell i know bmw wont charge you if its been a year since the last oil change. the hell is wrong with these lexus dealers?

formerly 08AccordEX

2008 4cyl black/black EX accord (purchased 10/31/07)-died/wrecked(7/5/2011?)
roughly 47,900 miles on it

2011 Toyota Venza v6 AWD Black Grey interior.(replaced wrecked accord)
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-25-2011, 04:11 AM
7th Gear

Don't go back.

Problem solved.

and send the manager a letter stating why they will no longer see your money.

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
post #3 of 22 Old 05-25-2011, 05:23 AM
Carpe Diem

$90 for an oil change? Did the oil have gold flakes in it or something?

post #4 of 22 Old 05-25-2011, 06:11 AM

That's cheap. An X5 takes 9-11 quarts of synthetic at $10 per quart.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #5 of 22 Old 05-25-2011, 06:18 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
I get that lexus feels their cars/suvs can go 10k without oil change, but i refuse to buy into it.

My mother owns a 2010 RX 350 and barely drives it. This coming november will be the 2nd year of owning it, yet the car has yet to hit 20k miles on it. It's been atleast a year since the last oil change, so i decided to take it in to get it changed.

I walk in and they pull up the info and tell me "it hasnt been 10k since the last oil change. they go 10k miles before it". "oh? well its been a YEAR since it got it done. Last time i took it in, they refused to change it." I said.Granted it was at 15k miles.

I had to fight them to check the air filter and get an oil change. It got to the point where i didnt care if i got charged for the change; I just want it done.

$90 later i left the dealership with an oil change. Hell i know bmw wont charge you if its been a year since the last oil change. the hell is wrong with these lexus dealers?
Are you sure that they really did the change??
Were you able to see that all of the old oil came out and new went in??
post #6 of 22 Old 05-25-2011, 02:14 PM
4th Gear

Quote:

Maybe somebody can chime in here, but how does oil get worn out (i.e. dirty and contaminated) sitting in the oil pan?

Also, if you have a high end car, over paying for maintenance and repairs goes with the territory. Could have bought the Toyota top of the line RAV4 or Highlander and saved money on both ends.....
post #7 of 22 Old 05-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Going Top Shelf FTW

Quote:

Do it yourself next time, problem solved. I just changed the oil on my RX330 on saturday for 23$. 5 quart jug of dino oil(15$) from walmart, filter and crushable washer from lexus. All you have to do on my RX330, which is likely the same procedure for your RX350 is to remove the splash guard, 8 10mm bolts, couple clips, then remove the 4 10mm bolts on the plastic cover right below the oil drain bolt. Use a 14mm socket on the oil drain bolt and a 14 flute 73mm, might be a 72mm oil filter wrench IIRC and go to town...

01 Supercharged Corvette
13 Rav4
16 MDX SH-AWD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Sugar coating for you ..

Nice, dealership turning down money, sounds like a winner!

2011 Subaru STi - Stage 2 - Plasma Blue Pearl

2008 Honda Accord Coupe V-6 EX-L AT NBP
No longer owned
post #9 of 22 Old 05-25-2011, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

don't get me wrong, money isnt the issue at hand. it's the fact both local lexus dealers have given me hell to get my oil changed. its not like i want it done free.

the guy made me laugh when he said the air filter goes 10k before needed to be replaced. just what kind of air filter is this?

if i knew where the air filter is located i wouldve personally opened it and checked. everything inside the engine is covered. i do my own filter change on my 08 accord, so i know how dirty it is.

formerly 08AccordEX

post #10 of 22 Old 05-25-2011, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

frankly the price of oil changes between a car like a honda and a lexus isnt that big of a differen these days.

if you switched to synthetic oil on an accord and do it yourself, you're looking at $50-60. dealer maybe an additional 20-25.

so really $90 for a lexus oil change isnt that much higher.

formerly 08AccordEX

post #11 of 22 Old 05-25-2011, 08:05 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
frankly the price of oil changes between a car like a honda and a lexus isnt that big of a differen these days.

if you switched to synthetic oil on an accord and do it yourself, you're looking at $50-60. dealer maybe an additional 20-25.

Most dealers I know of charge no more than $45.00 for a Honda. Yes, they try to sell you a cabin air filter for $60.00 or $75.00, but the oil change is far less than $90.00.
post #12 of 22 Old 05-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Going Top Shelf FTW

Quote:

You can get a 5quart jug of synthetic oil from Wal-mart for 25$, they offer penzoil platinum, mobil 1 and castrol, all synthetic for that price. If you get the oil filter and crushable washer you are saving almost 60$ an oil change...

In addition to the significant savings you know it was done and done right in addition to not having to put up with their bs.

01 Supercharged Corvette
13 Rav4
16 MDX SH-AWD

post #13 of 22 Old 05-25-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNSLS View Post
Most dealers I know of charge no more than $45.00 for a Honda. Yes, they try to sell you a cabin air filter for $60.00 or $75.00, but the oil change is far less than $90.00.
thats for regular oil, not synthetic.

I dont mind paying 50-60 for my synthetic oil change on my accord.

formerly 08AccordEX

post #14 of 22 Old 05-26-2011, 05:05 AM
Carpe Diem

Quote:

You're getting ripped off there bud. I've never paid more then $30 for a 5 quart jug of synthetic and a filter.

Quote:
I dont mind paying 50-60 for my synthetic oil change on my accord.
I wish I had money to toss away as you seem to.
post #15 of 22 Old 05-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Out of Control

At the dealer I work at it's not a problem. The cars can go 20k-25k km without an oil change. Not sure how much it is for just an oil change, but a full service is like $300 CAD.

2009 Accord EX-L, i4, AT

20% tints on 3 back windows and visor of windshield
35% tint on front 2 windows
GrillCraft MX Series Black Steel Mesh
LED Map/Dome Lights
Full HFP Kit
WeatherTech Window Visors

Weapon R i-Throttle
UR Underdrive Pulleys
P2R Throttle Body Spacer
Takeda SRI

Pats Fan
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.