Scion FR-S Concept - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 04-21-2011, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Scion FR-S Concept

Looks like toyota is making scion the designated "sport-orienented" component of the brand while maintaining its eco-friendly theme through toyota. this car is practically the FT-86. despite the weak specs (2.0l 4-cyl), it is offered in a 6 speed manual! more importantly though is that the aesthetics and lines are on point as they kept it small bodied. i dont like the direction acura and honda are going making these big bodied cars, hopefully they can follow suite and release the sequel to the s2k and rsx to compete with the FR-S. what do you guys think, possible av6 replacement?

Quote:
Another auto show, another version of Toyota and Subaru's joint partnership rear-wheel-drive sports car. We saw Toyota's FT-86 II concept in Geneva earlier this year, along with the chassis for Subaru's version of the car. Now here in New York, Scion has taken the wraps off of its FR-S, a sexy little number that rides on this same platform.

FR-S, which stands for "front-engine, rear-wheel-drive sport," (or "friggin' really sweet," according to Jack Hollis, Scion's vice president) is the automaker's homage to the infamous AE-86 Corolla – a car that was highly praised for its lightweight body and superb balance without having to churn out a ton of power. Under the hood is a naturally aspirated 2.0-liter Boxer flat-four mated to either a six-speed manual or automatic transmission. The FT-S rides on sharp 20-inch wheels, hiding an absolutely monstrous set of 18-inch carbon ceramic brake rotors that are fixed to the wheels like a motorcycle. Don't count on those making production...

Hollis says that the FR-S' design is inspired by the legendary Toyota 2000GT, and we can even see a bit of Lexus LF-A in the angular shapes that blend with sleek curves. This is one hot concept, and we're told that it previews a new addition to the Scion family coming in 2012. (Yeah, we know.)

Enough with the drooling. Just give us the production car.

See the sexy FR-S for yourself in our high-res image gallery below, and hit the jump for Scion's official press release.

2006 2.4L EXL 5MT Sedan - Redondo Red Pearl
2005 CRV EX AWD 5AT - Taffeta White

2000 Prelude SH - Crystal Blue Metallic SOLD
2001 Prelude SS - Crystal Blue Metallic SOLD
2003 AV6 coupe - Graphite Pearl SOLD
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-21-2011, 12:29 PM
6th Gear

I was so disappointed in this press release. The only thing it did was confirm (what was already known) that the Toyota FT-86 concept will be a Scion in the USA and showed us a third body design.

The only other information given was the same "lightweight, RWD, good handling, etc" that has been around for years.

I really want this car but the complete lack of information I may end up in a genesis or something if they don't give something like a release date or engine specs or ....

post #3 of 18 Old 04-21-2011, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

^i can understand your frustration because i am a fan of the FT86, just need more info!!! patience my friend...it will be coming soon enough and all it takes is a test drive. im not in the market for a new car yet but will be in the very near future ~1-2 years so im keeping my options open. i really want to get a stick, coupe, small body, good handling, good gas mileage and most importantly, it gotta look good. im happy they paid homage to the 2000gt. this is very promising

post #4 of 18 Old 04-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

I'm not sure if Toyota would be daring enough to offer a Scion as a RWD? Is this FR-S concept supposed to be a tC successor or an additional Scion model?

Is it for sure that the Toyobaru'FT-86 is going to be this Scion concept, or there will be both the FT-86 AND a Scion tC successor / additional model?

FWIW, I've noted that Genesis coupe sales have more-or-less vaporized here'bouts as of late. Not sure why, may be the redesigned Mustang & other models have lured away prospective customers once the new-release gloss wore-off...(?) Then again, the Genesis coupe just may be a low-volume model to begin w/.

Anywayz...

IF the production model is even ~90% similar to this concept/prototype showcar - it'll be ridiculously gorgeous for an "entry-level" sport(y) car. Major props for that will be due! It's got a lot of Ferrari California-GT / F458 / 599GTB-Fiorano in its styling, but w/ a Toyota-Lexus take on things (via L-Finesse / LF-A).

A loaded Kia Optima drove by me the other day. From the front, side-to-side, and back - it was a head'turner (in a good way). Not sure how it'll hold-up over the years (but being based off the ever-improving Sonata platform, I'm sure it'll be alrite), but it'd be on my list of "let's consider it..."!

Point being, there's some really good looking cars coming out from manufacturers that one would not assume to be capable of such. . .
post #5 of 18 Old 04-21-2011, 12:46 PM
6th Gear

It won't replace the tC because it will be priced significantly higher than tC. If you see the press release video they show a photo of all the Scion models with the FR-S, indicating it won't replace anything.

I was researching the Genesis and Mustang and basically for the price of a v6 genesis you can get a Mustang GT. Since most buyers don't really care about "sports care handling" and the Mustang numbers trounce Genesis numbers it's no surprise people would not buy the Genesis. And the new Mustang doesn't handle too bad in its own right.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-21-2011, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

i think the fr-s will be the brand's coupe with the tc being the economy 2 door "sport" vehicle of the brand. as for the genesis, for the price people may be looking at other options...in my area i have noticed a spike in mustang 5.0s!!! they sound great man but id never buy an american car...japanese loyalist right here. also i read somewhere that the FR-S may be given a 2.5l engine as opposed to the 2.0

post #7 of 18 Old 04-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

A friend of mine who was a lifelong tuner/import enthusiast, owning over the years 240SX / Prelude / Integra / NSX / etc, ended up getting a Camaro SS a year or so ago.

I really don't know much about the new Mustang, aside from press/media stuff. It still doesn't resonate much w/ me, regardless it's power & potential. I never was into the Tiburon/Genesis-coupe platform, but it's more me than domestic muscle (Camaro / Challenger / Mustang / etc) if I wanted a sporty-coupe.

So, this FR-S concept is to be placed more up-market than the tC - cool! If it doesn't look all weird/funky in the final production model, it'd be something I'd give serious consideration to. Other import RWD coupes are either not my 'thang (ie. 370Z / G37-coupe, Genesis-coupe) or they are over-priced initially and/or money-pits in the long-run (ie. BMW 1-series, Audi A5, etc). The VW Jetta coupe may be something worth looking at, if/when it's offered.

Good time for Acura to bring back an Accord-based CL, lolz!
post #8 of 18 Old 04-21-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

^thats what im saying man...im not trying to drop 30-50k on a rwd import unless its an NSX or s2k and even so thats out of my price range. keeping this car under 30k is very important. when honda got rid of the teg, rsx, s2k, cl, prelude man that seriously diminished my options LOL glad i got the accord coupe right before the switched over to making the body massive. i read reasons why they gave these models the cut but i still dont agree with removing coupes entriely from the lineup! i always say, never forget your roots, your history because thats what got you where you are today and completely ignoring your racing roots its going to hurt sales. if you are going to make the cr-z, then do it right and make 2 different models with the k20 goddammit and a separate for the people who want the hybrid version sheesh. there was so much potential..hell throw a k24 in the cr-z and mate it to a 6spd transmission and thatll be a hit. there was a pic of a guy here on DA who has the new TL and 8th gen accord and it was pictured with the 7th gen coupe, the size of the newer generation cars are significantly larger but i heard that interior room has not increased leaving me sorry for the vent sess, honda has been ****in up alot lately and im tired of this!!! look at how the corsstour is doing and the *cricket cricket* ZDX...wtf man. honda put me in charge for a year or 2 and ill improve sales guaranteed so you wont be scratching your heads wondering why your cars wont sell XD

post #9 of 18 Old 04-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

The 8th gen. Accord sedan is very roomy inside, almost mimics a full-sized sedan (ala' Avalon, etc). My cus' had a 7th gen. Accord sedan, it had decent sized interior - similar to past Accords.

Has there been any mention of a 4-dr Scion tC? Not sure that would be advantageous to Toyota, as they have their compact/subcompact sedan lineup already loaded w/ high-volume options such as the Corolla, Matrix, Yaris, etc. The Scion tC coupe was a hit for Toyota as it poached a good bit of Civic-coupe / Integra-RSX owners & enthusiasts.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-21-2011, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

for the size thing, i was actually referring to the new TL. this guy on here couldnt even lay down the ice scraper in the trunk LOL...my 7th gen coupe was able to bring home a front lip, 2 side skirts and a rear lip with the seats folded down with ease. i expect more from a sedan. as for the tc sedan, havent heard anything

post #11 of 18 Old 04-21-2011, 01:41 PM
6th Gear

This is where I get my information from/read/complain

post #12 of 18 Old 04-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenmaster View Post
for the size thing, i was actually referring to the new TL. this guy on here couldnt even lay down the ice scraper in the trunk LOL...my 7th gen coupe was able to bring home a front lip, 2 side skirts and a rear lip with the seats folded down with ease. i expect more from a sedan. as for the tc sedan, havent heard anything
That's funny! I haven't spent much time in/around the new TL, so I don't know about it's storage room/capacity. The current gen. Accord trunk is roomy, but not ideal for luggage, due to its rear suspension design/layout. Meaning lots of groceries & misc. sized stuff can be placed, but limited large(r) luggage pieces due to how they're oriented... if any of that makes sense, lol!

I was on the verge of buying a 1st gen. '08 TSX, but its backseat & cabin-space was slightly less than what I preferred (my Accord is primarily a people-hauler for visiting family/guests & friends). The 2nd gen. '09+ TSX would've been the right size for me.

Wanna get overwhelmed by interior-room? Sit in a Genesis sedan. Damn...
post #13 of 18 Old 04-21-2011, 02:07 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris_x11 View Post
Anywayz...

IF the production model is even ~90% similar to this concept/prototype showcar - it'll be ridiculously gorgeous for an "entry-level" sport(y) car. Major props for that will be due! It's got a lot of Ferrari California-GT / F458 / 599GTB-Fiorano in its styling, but w/ a Toyota-Lexus take on things (via L-Finesse / LF-A).
Yeah, it looks like they stole the front fender flares from the 458.

It definitely looks nice for an entry-level car. If this car was selling for mid $20K before I bought my Accord coupe, I would be driving this instead.

'09 CBP EX-L Coupe I4 AT (8/15/09)
post #14 of 18 Old 04-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Out of Control

Send a message via AIM to xJoeMama78 Send a message via MSN to xJoeMama78 Send a message via Yahoo to xJoeMama78
Quote:
there was a pic of a guy here on DA who has the new TL and 8th gen accord and it was pictured with the 7th gen coupe, the size of the newer generation cars are significantly larger but i heard that interior room has not increased leaving me
The 8th gen coupe is only 3.5" longer, 1.5" wider, and 0.7" taller than the 7th gen coupe. The current TL is 6.4" longer, 2.7" wider, and 1.5" taller than your coupe. But it's also a four door sedan. Honda's cars are getting bigger because that is what the public wants.

2008 Accord Coupe EX-L L4 Auto ASM
Clear bra | Tint | T-rex | Injen | Weapon R | Eibach | Enkei | Goodyear | SPC | H9/HIR | Hoen | LEDs | Clarion | JL | Focal | Python

1997 F-250 Crew Cab Diesel 4x4
Tymar | Diamond Eye | Bilstein | Clarion | Fosgate | JL
post #15 of 18 Old 04-21-2011, 07:22 PM
18th gear, 18 wheels

Quote:
This front looks like a lot of the Genesis actually.
But the rear is really impressive.

Mods on:
-1 inch drop suspension
-AEM V2 Cold Air Intake
-8000k HID
-BlitzSafe AUX
-Blackhoused Headlights
-HFP 18'' rims
-Stage 1 LED interior

Mods to go:
-RV6 V3 for 7th gen?
-Magnaflow Catback exhaust system?

HABS FTW!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.