Geico authorized bodyshop versus friend's recommendation - Drive Accord Honda Forums |
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-03-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Geico authorized bodyshop versus friend's recommendation

Hi All,

Long story short, my girlfriend's Lancer took a hit and run in a parking lot while we ate in a restaurant. Somebody backed into her passenger rear quarter panel. Of course, no witnesses, no note, no security camera, etc. It initially looked like a bad, but superficial hit and we debated calling insurance as she has a $500 deductible. Two weeks later, we were still debating it when the weather turned to rain and yippeee, we found a puddle of rain water in the trunk. Apparently the damage was enough to deform the trunk ever so slightly that the seal is no longer water resistant.

Took it to a small bodyshop my friend recommended. He had his G35's bumper repainted there after a large, well established bodyshop couldn't get the paint right. They estimated around $3000 to repair. Took it to a Geico authorized shop for their estimate, and they estimated near the same amount.

My question is this. Would you try a recommended and proven (I saw my friend's G35's bumper and the repair looks like it never happened) small bodyshop versus a larger, more established insurance authorized bodyshop?

I can see the advantage of the Geico authorized shop, they're more likely to guarantee their work. At the same time, I think the shop owner is less likely to increase the estimate if he finds more damage during repair (I'm pretty sure Geico gives him business by labeling his shop "authorized" and in turn, he's expected to minimize repair costs).

Anyways, thanks for any advice. I'm going to make a decision soon.

post #2 of 7 Old 03-03-2011, 11:12 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to gen_unknown_7.5
I would recommend using yelp if possible to find some reviews about the body shop. Some small body shops actually do incredible work, and at a slightly cheaper price. From what I believe, Authorized body shops have a certain time limit to get a job done, if they are doing repairs for the insurance company. So, when you bring your car in to get a dent pushed out, retouched, then repainted, its basically pocket money for them. Quality is a hit and miss for them since they need to have high turn over rate.

I would if possible try to find more information about the small body shop quality work, and if you like what you hear, I would go with them.

just my $.02

Sorry to hear about the Runners they deserve a good bashing if found. Good luck with the repairs though.

2007 Accord SE Alabaster Silver Metallic Sedan
HIDs 6k, Tint F:23% R:17%, Complete LED Interior + License, OEM All-weather Mats, TL 20 RSB/27.2 FSB, USA-spec PA15-HON2, Decklid Spoiler, K&N drop in Air Filter, OEM window Visors, WeatherTech Bug Deflector, Modded front license plate, Inspire Fog Lights Reps (3k), Hybrid Tail Lights (Reps), Sypder Projector Headlights
post #3 of 7 Old 03-04-2011, 12:14 AM
4th Gear

IMO. i feel like the insurance company would want to cheap out (thus "suggesting" a certain dealer/shop to do the repairs). I would do my own research and find a place i trust or at least has a good rep.

my friend got into an accident with his IS250, geico told him to go to some shop (forgot where), but it had a bad rep for people having to return over and over to get it right. so he found his own place, and got it right the first time. (although there was a scuff on his rim that they claimed they didnt do).

but imo. id find my own place first.

2010 Honda Accord LX-P ASM
-50% Front, 20% Rear Tints
-LED Lighting
-Odyssey Lower Grill
-Deck Lid/Roof Spoiler
-Morimoto Mini w/ Apollo Shrouds Retrofit (Thanks to thisaznboi88)
-UR Front Strut bar
-17mm TSX Rear Sway Bar

post #4 of 7 Old 03-04-2011, 12:58 AM
Swirl Free

A shop you have seen the work first hand from and that has been recommended by a satisfied customer or one you now nothing about the quality of their work….

I’d give my business to the shop I knew did good work
post #5 of 7 Old 03-04-2011, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Going with the smaller, recommended shop. Thanks! Will try to remember and report the outcome.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Out of Control

Many shops that are recommended by insurance companies give a kickback to the insurance company for their business. They do it this way in Canada, don't imagine it being any different in the US.

2009 Accord EX-L, i4, AT

20% tints on 3 back windows and visor of windshield
35% tint on front 2 windows
GrillCraft MX Series Black Steel Mesh
LED Map/Dome Lights
Full HFP Kit
WeatherTech Window Visors

Weapon R i-Throttle
UR Underdrive Pulleys
P2R Throttle Body Spacer
Takeda SRI

Pats Fan
post #7 of 7 Old 03-05-2011, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

Here's a different reference point.

I was very hesitant a year ago when I was told by my insurance company to go to the closest authorized shop on their list to have my front bumper replaced after a road debrie run over by another car smashed into it, it turned out to be a franchised chain shops, the insurance agent informed me they would only guarantee the work if I had the repair done by one or ther authorized shops, they won't prevent me from going to different shop of my choice but I will have to pay the difference if the shop of my choice is higher price, and I am on my own should there br any worksmanship issues.

I reluctantly went with their authorized shop after checking out their facility, fortunately everything worked out and the shop manager was extremely cooperative and helpful throughout the entire process, I have even gone since back when somebody else paid out of pocket to repair the damage they caused to my car and didn't want insurance company involved, I was equally satisfied with the work even though the original shop manager had moved on to another job.

In contrast, years ago I went to an established shop to have a lower rocker panel damage repaired/repainted on a 3 months old car, they had just moved into a brand new facility and with a number of high-end and exotic cars in their shop being worked on, I went there despite they are not affiliated with the Insurance company. While the repair itself was ok, their new fancy down draft spray booth in this brand new facility wasn't working properly and left a super fine misting of over spray over all horizontal surfaces such as roof, rear hatch window, and even the top edges of the fenders, the shop manager quickly admitted their downdraft booth was having issues and accepted responsibility as soon as I called him to identify the problem and arranged a time for me to bring the car in for comPounding. However when I did show up to drop off the car, the owner of the shop freaked out all over me claiming the problem was I had waxed the car too many time even though he knew full well this brans new car was only 3 months old, and I had waxed it only three times as I had told him.

The shop manager looked like he wanted to find a hole in the ground to go hide in it as the owner was being a total irate jackass, but he couldn't and didn't say anything against his boss, I decided there is no benefit arguing with and forcing the shop owner to rectify the overspray, and I had no recourse since they were not a company authorized by my insurance company, so I simply told him that he showed extremely poor judgement and customer care, and I will be reporting this to the Better Business Buerau.

It didn't surprise me nor did I feel sorry when the shop closed down barely a couple of years later!!

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

DA Moderator Team

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.