Why do people buy an extended warranty? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
4Likes
  • 1 Post By RickBlaine
  • 2 Post By qman
  • 1 Post By scar_cle
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-22-2017, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Why do people buy an extended warranty?

Do people buy the extended warranty for piece of mind? Or because they plan on keeping the car for many years and they don't think they'd be able to afford a repair many years down the road, so they want to roll it into the loan?

I ask because of course the chance of using the warranty and "making your money back" is extremely remote. The chances of having a repair needed that costs over $1000 during the cars first 8 yrs or 120,000mi is probably on the order of about 2% statistically.

Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-22-2017, 07:11 AM

Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,360 Posts
There are dozens of threads on this subject with no consensus. Lately, it seems to be a debate about the electronics and lighting in Accords. A few 9th Gen LED strip lights have gone out, and are covered under warranty. If not, they would be about $700 per headlight as of this writing.

Prices drop, over time of course. On the 2003-2007 7th Gen Accords, the HVAC/radio head units would sometimes go bad. Initially through 2009, replacements were $1,200. Now you can buy a used one on eBay or from a wrecking yard for under $100 and change it yourself in 15 minutes with just a Phillips screwdriver and a nylon panel pry bar.

With the new Heads Up Display (HUD), sensing, LED lighting where you can't replace "just one bulb", etc....there is a strong case for a long-term warranty for long-term owners.

Then there are the Kenny Rogers "Gamblers" who know that in five years, there will be acceptable knock-off lighting and low-cost used parts from wrecks.

Interesting thought: On the new 10th Gens, can you "downgrade" the headlights if your higher-trim headlights go out a day past warranty?

d1backwoods likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-22-2017, 08:48 AM
8TH GEN BELIEVER

I bought Hondacare for two of my three Accords and yes, they paid for themselves. The first was an 03 V6 with nasty bad AT. The second, the power steering & rack were seeping at 119k miles and the dealer, instead of going the O-ring route, replaced them both. As much as I love & trust Accords, they are mass manufactured machines and as such there is an element of risk, however small. Besides I paid $900 for the policy both times.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo

post #4 of 7 Old 12-22-2017, 08:55 AM
Out of Control

I have read the average repair claim when using the extended warranty is $895. Some people buy it to use as a selling tactic when they go to sell their used Honda as the warranty is transferable. Of course when someone is trying to sell it to you the dealership they always bring up the expense of new electronics, etc. replacement, they do not like it when you tell them you can buy it on line cheaper (except Florida, car ex. warr. can only be purchased in state). I am thinking of purchasing one for my 2017 just because of the headlight LED lighting strip.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 509K - 2017 EX automatic 2K
post #5 of 7 Old 12-22-2017, 10:38 AM
ziptie princess

Garage
I'm considering a 500 Abarth for my next car and was going to look at extended warranties because, well, it's a Fiat.

I think they make sense on something that is of questionable reliability and has high repair costs, like, idk, a Range Rover, but not something that generally doesn't have major issues.

03 Accord DX
92 240SX
80 KZ250
post #6 of 7 Old 12-22-2017, 10:54 AM
Out of Control

I have a better dumb question.

Why do people buy credit life insurance?

Seriously, why does a dead guy need his credit paid off?
slimm1469 and KW2004Accord like this.

2003 Accord EX I4 AT (mine), K&N drop in (surprised), JL Audio TR690Txi 6X9 in the rear
2004 Accord EX I4 MT (wife's), totally bone stock except for all the crap that fills every cubic inch that is not the driver seat.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-22-2017, 11:28 AM
4th Gear

Whole steering rack went on '08 at 50k. Also AC compressor went too. Easily that warranty paid for itself.

On the '07 we gambled and didnt get it and absolutely nothing broke or went wrong besides some steering stuff that wouldn't have been covered. (I had a hunch the 7.5 gens had no flaws and I was correct)

We got one on the '16 just due to the touchscreen. I dont want to have to replace that if it goes on my bill.
KW2004Accord likes this.

Former:
1984 Olds Cutlass(1st car)
1991 Taurus wagon (LOL)
1995 Mitsu eclipse- GSX
2002 Honda Civic(RIP AUTO-TRANS)
2008 Honda Accord LX (Traded-Oil burner)

Current:
2007 Honda Accord EX-L(His)
2016 Honda Accord EX-L(Hers)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.