• 1 Post By Coach Steve
  • 2 Post By RickBlaine
  • 1 Post By RickBlaine
  • 1 Post By bobbo
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-16-2017, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Reflections Auto Detail

Any Chicago (Band) Fans Here?

I spend a considerable portion of my web browsing time watching performances of tribute bands of one genre or another. Most of them are terrible. A few of them are tolerable and submit worthy efforts but ultimately end up failing in some way or another at their attempt to cover the original. Trust me when I tell you there are literally thousands of tribute "bands" out there. It's the spectacular fails by the overwhelming greater percentage of them that make you appreciate and take notice when one accomplishes what they set out to - recreate a song as close to the original that if played one over the top of the other, it would be very, very difficult to hear the difference.
I can list on one hand the tribute bands that have accomplished this task and would make the bands they pay tribute proud.

Until I became aware of the band linked below, I was fairly certain the best of the best was Australian Pink Floyd. The millions of fans around the world who sell out their live shows on 6 continents will back me up on that one.

However, a relatively new Chicago tribute has equaled and possibly bested them at this challenge.
Leonid and Friends is a group of musicians from various places in the former Soviet Union (mostly Moscow and Ukraine) who have created perfect, flawless recreations of about a dozen of Chicago's biggest hits, with more being added each month.
Chicago's nearly 50 year tenure has produced some of the best, most recognizable hits. I can't imagine even thinking about trying to cover their music, let alone do it with 9-15 other musicians (just more moving parts that could bring the whole thing down) and post it to a place with no filters, no diplomacy and no compassion - YouTube.

Even if you only like Chicago a little bit, these guys are worth a click. They're THAT good.
The guitar player is phenomenal! I haven't played them side by side but I'm pretty sure he covers Terry Kath's guitar work on 25 or 6 to 4 note for note. Woof! In 1969, Chicago (then called Chicago Transit Authority) toured with and opened for Jimi Hendrix who called Kath "the greatest guitar player on the planet". There's some amazing talent in this group of musicians. Don't take my word for it, see for yourself.

If You Leave Me Now
(The french horn player looks like he could be Paul McCartney's younger brother. )

25 or 6 to 4

Questions 67 & 68

Keep in mind, English is not their primary language and we all know how well Russians are at pronouncing English words. There isn't a single lyric that is mispronounced or enunciated incorrectly!

mtts60 likes this.

2003 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 3.0L V6 A/T
220,200 miles on original transmission!
Satin Silver
Full Nose Mask & Bra
SuperBrite Interior LED Kit
Eagle Alloys Chrome 192's
Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 245/45/17 Tires

"You may want to invest in a torque wrench, since your torque by feel only consists of gorilla mode." - Drew03Accord

Eat, Sleep, Detail, Repeat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coach Steve For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (12-16-2017)
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-16-2017, 11:32 AM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,377 Posts
Coach!

You amaze me. Chicago is a great band and we have a local group here- Tributosaurus, that does tribute shows and becomes a new band each month or so. I've seen them do Pink Floyd, The Cars, Queen, and of course Chicago.

Interesting note: The band Chicago originally called themselves the Chicago Transit Authority but got sued by the real CTA (the clowns who run our local transit system) and so just became "Chicago". Legend had it that the Mopar advertising team used "Rapid Transit" in their late 1960s advertisements because they liked Chicago and wanted to thumb their nose at the CTA.

As for "If You Leave Me Now"....all I can think of is the excellent scene from the movie Three Kings, depicting the Gulf War (1991). For several years, my brother was a USAF wing commander and did tours in Iraq and Afghanistan in the 2000s. One day, he emails me and tells me that at Balad Air Base (Iraq), they got a Buick/Oldsmobile "hybrid" that the air crews use to get to their planes faster than if they had to walk (124 F degrees at the air base). No doors or any frills on this car of mismatched GM parts- but it ran, and for whatever reason had a kick arse stereo. So they would request CD mixes. I added that song as well as The Ecstasy of Gold (The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly) in both Metallica's version as well as the original by Ennio Morricone.

Agree with you on Pink Floyd- seen them twice. Could have been three but flew out to Tulsa to see John Anderson/Dwight Yoakam concert instead. Anderson did Seminole Wind and Yoakam did Elvis' Suspicious Minds. Life was great! Each has a unique voice....

I have found music to be the universal language....I could tell you stories of evading French Police in the Paris "Norte" train station while some couple from some country I never heard of and was sharing a sandwich and soda with had "Tainted Love" playing on their boombox as we ran like hell. Don't forget the Filipino singer joining Journey to replace Steve Perry- they found him on YouTube. Could not speak a word of English but could sing- note for note- every Steve Perry syllable.

I went to a country bar in Vietnam and sang country songs all night with drunk Russians, Vietnamese, Australians (they are the best to travel with or run into- such good natured people) and Chinese. Chicago songs are on Karaoke machines all over the world. Many Asian countries play them in stores and malls because some are SLOW songs that they can understand, as the words are sung clearly and annunciation is great.

post #3 of 10 Old 12-16-2017, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Reflections Auto Detail

In the immortal words of jimijam, "Cool story bra!" but what'd you think of the subject of this thread.... You know.... the Russian Chicago cover band?

post #4 of 10 Old 12-16-2017, 01:23 PM

Remarkable! I thought that they were "alternate" takes of the songs recorded the same week as the originals, sung by Chicago themselves. That is how good they are.

Plus, they sing with Chicago Midwestern accents, as this is the greatest accent of all accents one could have on this fine earth.

The only exception is at 2:11 in the third video- I could tell that was a non-Midwestern accent (It really doesn't matter, anyhow), and this could displease Tom Cruise and the other guy.

To redeem myself- I will tell you that Tributosaurus was Rush two years ago....and Rush, along with San Dimas High School football, rules!
bobbo and Coach Steve like this.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-16-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Reflections Auto Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
Remarkable! I thought that they were "alternate" takes of the songs recorded the same week as the originals, sung by Chicago themselves. That is how good they are.

Plus, they sing with Chicago Midwestern accents, as this is the greatest accent of all accents one could have on this fine earth.

The only exception is at 2:11 in the third video- I could tell that was a non-Midwestern accent (It really doesn't matter, anyhow), and this could displease Tom Cruise and the other guy.
LMAO! That's funny!
I've been meaning to ask you for the longest time.... Have you ever eaten Joe's Hot Dogs in Joliet? Yummm! My wife was born in Joliet, raised in Springfield and graduated from the school of nursing at NIU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
To redeem myself- I will tell you that Tributosaurus was Rush two years ago....and Rush, along with San Dimas High School football, rules!
I'm actually familiar with them. as I said above, I've listened to a freakin' ton of cover bands and they were one that I remember being exceptionally good. Very tight.

Satin Silver
Full Nose Mask & Bra

"You may want to invest in a torque wrench, since your torque by feel only consists of gorilla mode." - Drew03Accord

post #6 of 10 Old 12-16-2017, 03:17 PM

I have not eaten there in a few years- but I am in the area maybe 6-8 times a year (at nearby Joliet Autobahn Speedway) for auto-crossing. I will make it a point to be there in the Spring.

Member bobbo has Joliet connections, if I recall.....

And of course, Jake Blues of the Blues Brothers was "Joliet Jake", due to his time in the (recently closed) prison.

I actually find foreign cover bands (of American/English/Aussie bands) to be a niche that I seek out. I tend to enjoy their ever-so-slightly different interpretation of the original bands' music. I have a CD here that a buddy gave me- it is of Cambodian singers from the late 1960s/early 1970s singing American and British hits before they disappeared. Most did not speak English- but sang the "sounds".
bobbo likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-16-2017, 04:27 PM
Roll Tide!

Thanked 1,004 Times in 758 Posts
Well played, Coach Steve . Well played.

Anyone remember when Journey tapped that Filipino signer from Manila they found on YouTube? That's summin' straight out of that movie Rock Star staring Marky Mark. In fact, I got a Feeling that movie ripped off the real live Journey story.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-20-2017, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Reflections Auto Detail

Here are a couple of standouts during my never ending search for great cover/tribute bands.

This first one, is a Journey cover band Called Frontiers, but they're also the house band at a club in Chile. The guys don't speak a word of English but they sing English lyrics perfectly. When Journey played at the Vina del Mar Music Festival in Chile back in 2007, (Arnel's first performance with the band) the members of Frontiers had a private meet and greet and lunch with Journey and each of the Frontiers members had to have a translator because they literally don't speak English.
Their catalog is large and they are able to pull of some pretty impressive covers, like this one. One of their best...
Simply Red - If You Don't Know Me By Now/Holding Back the Years

This band is no longer together. In fact, the videos of their performances were only posted about 3-4 years ago. They were recorded almost 20 years ago. They were a Kansas tribute band called Leftoverture. These guys were outstanding!
Song for America

Satin Silver
Full Nose Mask & Bra

post #9 of 10 Old 01-19-2018, 01:42 PM
Bob's your UNCLE ...

RickBlaine - my grandparents house was down the street from the Joliet prison - my Uncle is still the green's keeper at Joliet West High School - I spent most summers through my childhood in that wonderful little city ... I also learned about flashing gang signs and how not to look someone in the eyes on the street walking to Chuck E Cheese.
RickBlaine likes this.

-'07 K24/AT SE CM5

P&P 08 TSX IM|P&P OEM Injector Base|08 TSX TB|HPS short ram intake w/ K&N|wrapped headers
6-6 strut tower brace|Megan Racing strut tower brace|TL-S FSB|TL-S RSB
HDR grills|JDM emblems|HFP front lip|Inspire fogs|Mugen side sills|OEM deck-lid spoiler|OEM Hybrid tails|17"x7" EP-R5 (HFP) rims
ELM 327 Bluetooth|USA Spec BT-35 HON|Kicker CS65's|Kicker CS693's|LED interior bulbs
post #10 of 10 Old 01-19-2018, 03:52 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

I think they sound remarkably close to the original but it lacks something......likely due to the recording studio and mixers Chicago had at the time. Regardless, it is some of my favorite music, thanks.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.