• 1 Post By d1backwoods
  • 1 Post By VFR4Lee
  • 1 Post By enne
  • 1 Post By HondaBob
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-16-2017, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Reflections Auto Detail

Your Fav Christmas/Holiday Songs

Ahhh... the Holidaze! Every other commercial on the radio or TV is about one sale or another complete with Christmas theme and the sound of bells jingling in the background. Then there's the radio stations that feel the need to play Christmas songs and nothing but Christmas songs 24/7 from T-giving until New Years Day. Hell, I walked into a Subway this past week and they even had the 24/7 music going on. Every where you go, you're bombarded by in-your-face, we'll-beat-any-price, shove it down your throat Christmas stuff. And, of course, Wal-Mart has to be the one to get the whole train-a-rollin' by putting out their all-chinese made Christmas crap starting the 2nd week of September! By the time Dec. 25th rolls around, you're so sick of it and sincerely happy it's finally over.

When I was a kid, (and Blaine and will back me up on this) there was a holiday tradition. It was almost an unwritten rule of sorts. The kickoff to the Christmas season didn't start until Santa pulled up the rear of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. That's what everyone abided by and it worked.

Anyway, that's not the topic of this thread, that was just me getting up on my soap box for a minute. I'm fine now.

So, with Christmas songs blasting from nearly every speaker in public places nearly constantly at the moment, I'm sure that like me, you get kinda tired of it as well. That said, there's a few songs that you hold near and dear that you never get tired of hearing and that's what this thread is about. I'll list mine, then you do the same.

When my girls were little, we would schedule a couple of nights driving around looking at holiday light displays. There are some incredibly well done displays here in the desert southwest both private and commercial. One of the best in the country is just a few miles up the road at the Mesa Mormon Temple. 2.5 million lights! It's a spectacular sight to behold, indeed.
Anyway, for those nights of driving around, I made a mix tape (CD) with various songs the family all liked. Two of those songs were suggested by my girls and I still get goosebumps and a lump in my throat whenever I hear them because of the great memories the conjure up. Technically, neither was written as a "Christmas" song. However, both have fallen into that category.

The Eyes of a Child by Air Supply

Angels Among Us by Alabama

2003 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 3.0L V6 A/T
220,200 miles on original transmission!
Satin Silver
Full Nose Mask & Bra
SuperBrite Interior LED Kit
Eagle Alloys Chrome 192's
Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 245/45/17 Tires

"You may want to invest in a torque wrench, since your torque by feel only consists of gorilla mode." - Drew03Accord

Eat, Sleep, Detail, Repeat.
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-16-2017, 08:12 AM
Elvira - the car

Modern. Modern? what is that turny round thing? Analog audio device with ALL the classic hiss, pops and crackles.

Classic

We need to celebrate life in every moment.... Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays Friends
I wish you happy and peaceful Holidays...

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #3 of 12 Old 12-16-2017, 09:52 AM
6th Gear

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas, performed by Perry Como and the Fonteyn sisters is the definitive version of that song. For cheerfulness and liveliness it has it all over every other performance. What a take! You can almost hear the smile in their voices throughout the song.

Edit:

Christ is Born, O Holy Night, and Ave Maria sung by Karen Carpenter on their Christmas album just raise goosebumps when I hear them. There haven't been very many better female voices in my lifetime.

I could go on and on with my favs that I have among the 800+ Christmas songs on my iPod, including much sacred Christmas music.

2017 Toyota Highlander XLE. Yeah, so call me a traitor!!
2013 Accord Sedan EX-L Nav., Basque Red Pearl II; 100,000 miles
2004 Odyssey EX-L, Havasu Blue Metallic, 245,000 miles when my eldest son took it over
1998 Accord LX Sedan 5-speed, Heather Mist Metallic; went to live with my youngest son. Died Jan. 2015 with 246,000+, (right front axle broke).

post #4 of 12 Old 12-16-2017, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Reflections Auto Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker View Post
Modern. Modern? what is that turny round thing? Analog audio device with ALL the classic hiss, pops and crackles.

Classic

We need to celebrate life in every moment.... Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays Friends
I wish you happy and peaceful Holidays...
Man, I love Pentatonix! My first exposure to them was 2 years ago when I heard/saw the video for Little Drummer Boy.... Dayumm!

Hiss, pop, crack.... I still have my Denon turntable and about 50 albums or so left of my once expansive collection, all neatly stored in Peaches record crates!
Miker likes this.

Satin Silver
Full Nose Mask & Bra

"You may want to invest in a torque wrench, since your torque by feel only consists of gorilla mode." - Drew03Accord

post #5 of 12 Old 12-16-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Reflections Auto Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaBob View Post
It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas, performed by Perry Como and the Fonteyn sisters is the definitive version of that song. For cheerfulness and liveliness it has it all over every other performance. What a take! You can almost hear the smile in their voices throughout the song.
Oh, hell yeah! And you're right, his version is the definitive version, just like The Christmas song (Chestnuts Roasting...) belongs to Nat King Cole. Many have tried but no one will ever take that one away from him.

Side Note:
Nat's brother, Ike, is the happy hour/dinner entertainment at 2 of the hotels here in PHX. He sounds exactly like Nat and is a really sweet and funny guy. He's been a fixture here in the Valley of the Sun for almost 30 years.

As for The Carpenters, I'm not sure there's EVER been a more perfect, natural voice than Karen's. Barbara... maybe. Carrie Underwood... doesn't measure up. Charlotte Church..... close but nowhere near the warmth and natural delivery. I mean, Karen didn't even have to try. I remember Richard saying on a docu I watched years ago, that a song he had written which the band was rehearsing to add to their in-concert [playlist, was just too difficult in the key he had written it in for some of the band's members so he basically rewrote it in a different register sorta on the fly, and Karen didn't even need to adjust or rehearse it in the new key. She nailed it on the first try. Yeah, she was something special.
Another Christmas fav that's definitely in my top 5 is Merry Christmas Darling.
Miker and HondaBob like this.

Satin Silver
Full Nose Mask & Bra

post #6 of 12 Old 12-17-2017, 06:31 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Steve View Post
Oh, hell yeah! And you're right, his version is the definitive version, just like The Christmas song (Chestnuts Roasting...) belongs to Nat King Cole. Many have tried but no one will ever take that one away from him.

Side Note:
Nat's brother, Ike, is the happy hour/dinner entertainment at 2 of the hotels here in PHX. He sounds exactly like Nat and is a really sweet and funny guy. He's been a fixture here in the Valley of the Sun for almost 30 years.

As for The Carpenters, I'm not sure there's EVER been a more perfect, natural voice than Karen's. Barbara... maybe. Carrie Underwood... doesn't measure up. Charlotte Church..... close but nowhere near the warmth and natural delivery. I mean, Karen didn't even have to try. I remember Richard saying on a docu I watched years ago, that a song he had written which the band was rehearsing to add to their in-concert [playlist, was just too difficult in the key he had written it in for some of the band's members so he basically rewrote it in a different register sorta on the fly, and Karen didn't even need to adjust or rehearse it in the new key. She nailed it on the first try. Yeah, she was something special.
Another Christmas fav that's definitely in my top 5 is Merry Christmas Darling.
Yep. I have Babs and Karen versions of Ave Maria. Babs has to strain to get the high notes, whereas Karen just reels it off effortlessly.

2004 Odyssey EX-L, Havasu Blue Metallic, 245,000 miles when my eldest son took it over
1998 Accord LX Sedan 5-speed, Heather Mist Metallic; went to live with my youngest son. Died Jan. 2015 with 246,000+, (right front axle broke).
post #7 of 12 Old 12-17-2017, 06:39 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

This is from my era. Turn the sound up and listen to his voice.........there's nothing else like it.

Miker and HondaBob like this.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-18-2017, 07:06 PM
king of my heart

Miker likes this.

2005 Accord LX Sedan "Harim" : Daily Driven 300k + Mile Spirited Driving Machine
K&N Drop-In Fiter, NGK Iridium Plugs, Clarion CZ105BT w/ Metra 99-7862, HTSpec A/T Switches, J's Racing Radiator Cap
post #9 of 12 Old 12-18-2017, 07:27 PM
6th Gear

I require humor.

Don't know how to embed video.

Adam Sandler Christmas Song.

Adam Sandler Hannukah Song.

Miker likes this.

2008 Coupe V6
post #10 of 12 Old 12-19-2017, 05:15 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker View Post

It's funny, my mother is a really big Beatles fan, but she loathes this song. Not sure why. Just an observation lol.

I'm not Christian so I don't get all warm and fuzzy from the more traditional ones. But that's not to say they don't have their place or aren't good songs, they just get played a lot, and I think that makes them lose some of their meaning.

I do like Mele Kalikimaka, the version by Bing and the Andrews Sisters. See Christmas Vacation clip below.

I love lots of Christmas movies
Miker likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #11 of 12 Old 12-19-2017, 03:31 PM
6th Gear

Try this. Definitely one of my favorites:

Even better with a decent pair of headphones.
Miker likes this.

Last edited by HondaBob; 12-19-2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Add a comment
post #12 of 12 Old 12-19-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Reflections Auto Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaBob View Post
Try this. Definitely one of my favorites:

Even better with a decent pair of headphones.
Several years ago, Yo Yo Ma played O Holy Night accompanied by just a piano and it was outstanding. I can't remember what show it was on and I've never been able to find video of it. When it comes to classical music, I love the duet of piano and cello. It's so soothing and beautiful.

Some great submissions, keep em coming.

Sticking with the Bing theme, this one's another in my top 10.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.