1991 Honda Prelude 2 Dr Si Coupe for sale in PA - the temptation is strong - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
  • 1 Post By KW2004Accord
  • 1 Post By enne
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-15-2017, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
1991 Honda Prelude 2 Dr Si Coupe for sale in PA - the temptation is strong

This is pretty close to me distance-wise. $3,295 at a VW/Mazda dealership (wonder why they have a Honda?). Was wondering, maybe it would actually be worth trading toward this with the Cavalier (which I paid $400 for). If I got at least $400 trade-in for the Cavalier I wouldn't be losing money on the trade lol. Only having 85,000 miles is a little weird but it only had one owner. They have the Carfax report so I could ask for that. Only big issue is, it's the 4-speed automatic and I'd really like a manual even though I don't have much experience driving stick. If I'm reading the VIN right it is not the 4 wheel steering model. But it is the Si with the B20A engine and anti-lock brakes. And it really isn't much worse power-wise than my ULEV 2.3 L with 148 HP. Not having VTEC isn't a big deal; my VTEC Accord doesn't really utilize it either. I read on the Wikipedia page for the B20, that it is infamous for oil consumption because of the tougher internals or something? Not sure about that, I'd have to do more research.

What do y'all think? I like checking out cars just for funsies, I'm not smitten with it or anything. It seems pretty clean. It's one of very few Preludes I've found for sale in my state that isn't slammed, cambered, sticker bombed and eBay turbo'd.

Also, pop-up headlights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-15-2017, 08:16 AM
Out of Control

i have always liked them but they are slow compared to today's standard. Go take it for a test drive but don't buy it. The trouble with looking is eventually you are going to come across some great finds, if you had a lot of disposable income, then you could indulge your wants more, do you need to get in more debt for another car ? (looks to be priced $1200 - 1500 over book).

enne likes this.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 509K - 2017 EX automatic 2K
post #3 of 8 Old 12-15-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KW2004Accord View Post
i have always liked them but they are slow compared to today's standard. Go take it for a test drive but don't buy it. The trouble with looking is eventually you are going to come across some great finds, if you had a lot of disposable income, then you could indulge your wants more, do you need to get in more debt for another car?
They're not slow compared to my cars lol. The Accord has 148 HP, Cavalier has about 110 and the Camaro has 205. But yes I see what you mean. Compared to the average twentysomething woman, I probably do have a lot more disposable income now that I think about it. I have no children, mortgage, car payments, school loans, ect.

I'm not in any debt whatsoever so swooning over cars like this isn't going to put me in financial trouble if I bought one. Though, I would not buy another car until I sold one of the others. The Cavalier or Camaro would have to go if I wanted to buy another car. I'd like to be at two cars, that I really like. The Cavalier is a nice backup car that was cheap but not amazing, and the Camaro is fun but needs a lot more work. So I'm not super attached to them like I am with the Accord.

The Prelude would be more aesthetically pleasing to me than my Accord though, for sure.
KW2004Accord likes this.

post #4 of 8 Old 12-15-2017, 09:57 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

You have put money into the Cavalier beyond the purchase price yes? If so $400 trade in is not break even, it's a loss.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-15-2017, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Yeah I was going off just purchase price of $400. Because any 12 year old car would probably need some maintenance items like the Cavalier did. I put new brakes and rotors on, front wheel bearings/hubs, serpentine belt, the high mount brake light bulb, tire mount and rotation. Every other thing the Cavalier has had done (oil changes, wipers, etc.), my father has paid for, because he drives it primarily. I've spent about $1,200 total including purchase, tax, title etc. I don't think they'd give me $1,200 for it lol. Who knows how much they'd give me. Cavaliers are popular around here and I could give a private buyer one hell of a sales pitch on how nice a car it is despite the body damage. And it has a freshly detailed engine bay!!!

post #6 of 8 Old 12-16-2017, 07:18 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Seems to me like you're on the right track with private sale. At least that could get you to break even or maybe a bit more. A savvy buyer wants it mechanically correct more so than "pretty".
post #7 of 8 Old 12-16-2017, 11:29 AM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
That asking price is getting close to an NA Miata...

Personally, I'd wait for a MT car. I mean, you have like 2 other AT cars already, which is good if the traffic is bad, but it's also good to spice things up a bit when you want to by hopping into a MT car.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

post #8 of 8 Old 12-19-2017, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
Seems to me like you're on the right track with private sale. At least that could get you to break even or maybe a bit more.
Indeedydoody, you are right. I'm confident I could get at least $1,200 for it privately if I sold it up where my parents live. People looking for a good car for their kids (that's what Dana was before I got her), and around here people actually like Cavaliers. Will never understand why people think the 97-02s are bad; they really aren't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
That asking price is getting close to an NA Miata...

Personally, I'd wait for a MT car. I mean, you have like 2 other AT cars already, which is good if the traffic is bad, but it's also good to spice things up a bit when you want to by hopping into a MT car.
I know that:
MX-5
Is
Always
The
Answer

But it's not the answer for me lol. And yeah I should hold out for a manual. That might also knock a few bucks off asking price vs an automatic

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.