Excellent Washington Post article on how electric vehicles will affect repair biz - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
3Likes
  • 1 Post By enne
  • 2 Post By boring 08 EX
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-11-2017, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,360 Posts
Excellent Washington Post article on how electric vehicles will affect repair biz

Excellent article from the Washington Post on how battery-powered "electric" vehicles will greatly affect the automobile repair industry. Sooner than you think....

Flyboy said it first!

Interesting point on how regional differences on "resistance to change" in the USA affect opinions- how change is most reluctant in the American midwest....

Also, the "fear of mechanics getting electrocuted" as a factor to resist electric vehicles reminds me of when people starting buying "Japanese" vehicles in the midwest USA. Many shops would say they had to order parts all the way from Japan and it could take a month....lots of lies used to slow the sales of Honda, Toyota, etc....

Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-11-2017, 12:50 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
GM already tried with the EV1 and they pulled the plug and deemed it a commercial failure due to the much lower profit margin.

On the bright side, we won't have bad mechanics ripping people off anymore.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-11-2017, 02:16 PM
pessimistic optimist

Is it a simple case of government myopia that absolutely nothing is being done to reinforce or expand our grossly outdated power distribution infrastructure while this electric future comes rushing at us? California suffers rolling brown-outs RIGHT NOW, what will happen when there are 3 million electric cars that need charging every other evening? The Washington Post also has a really interesting story online right now called "How safe is "safe enough" for driver-less cars?" It raises some truly fascinating points about our perception of safety and what drives that perception.

2008 EX sedan 2.4l, 3 pedals Killed by a dump truck 12-13-2017
Mods: Weapon R I Throttle, OE style lip spoiler, painted calipers, K&N drop in w/ resonator delete, Redline shift boot & armrest cover, Crosstour cluster, JDM style visors, retrofit headlights (morimoto h1 7.0) TL RSB well worth the wait
J2 CBE, DIY 9th gen short shifter, 15mm spacers (rear) 35% tint

post #4 of 11 Old 12-12-2017, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Agreed that our infrastructure is rapidly becoming "developing world". I have taken clients from India around areas of Chicago and they could not believe the road condition.

The future of electric power delivery is multiple, smaller local generation stations rather than one large one. Far less loss of electricity due to poor quality of power delivery. The laws in California allow the sanctioned utility company (as well as dozens of other providers) to add solar panels to a residential home. This increases capacity and at a lower cost per kilowatt than building another new coal plant/nuclear plant/natural gas plant. In a way- it "bypasses" government stupidity and negligence while encouraging tax breaks and low cost financial instruments for people to add solar/wind power to their homes.

And yes, battery technology is a pretty exciting field- if some of these companies can actually build a "house battery", that would change everything.

I was part of a project to develop the first 100% solar-powered house (not new, but a retro-fit) in the midwest US about 11 years ago. All the cameras covering the event were fixated on the meter running backwards- as every single light fixture and appliance (including whole house air conditioning) was running. I am already seeing Tesla and Leaf owners installing solar panels on their house/garage roofs....
post #5 of 11 Old 12-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
I am already seeing Tesla and Leaf owners installing solar panels on their house/garage roofs....
Ain't gonna fix us young people not buying houses or new cars though, much less a Tesla or other EV car that's way more expensive to purchase and maintain. I can't afford any of those things no matter how good they are for the environment. I can afford what is affordable to me, and that means splitting rent on a crappy apartment between three people and driving older cars. And if having three cars is an arguing point, I don't think even the few thousand I spent on all of my cars this year total, would make much of a dent in the purchase price of one brand new car. Not that I even have good enough credit to qualify for a new car loan. And someone mentioned where do you even get those cars fixed in places that are resistant to change, I'd probably have to take a full EV halfway across the state to find someone who could fix one because I live in a place that hates change. And that's not my fault.
UnknownJinX likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #6 of 11 Old 12-12-2017, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

I have worked in Westmoreland County, Ellwood City, and Johnstown (home of Chuck Bronson!)- so I agree with what you speak. Change is difficult at times.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-12-2017, 11:47 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
It kinda sucks being "part of the problem" with zero means to not be "part of the problem".

All us damned millennials just need to go to college, get a job and stop playing our damned video games, and we'll all be millionaires in 5 years. It's our fault we grew up and into the world we live in today, so we should just change things we can't change, and everything will be fine.

post #8 of 11 Old 12-12-2017, 01:44 PM
pessimistic optimist

Don't let anyone who drives an EV (or hybrid) convince you that you are "part of the problem" First of all, What Problem? Are we really going to get to the point where folks are being shamed for not accepting autonomous vehicles as the bright future? Screw that garbage, you show me a computer that cannot crash and I will accept them driving my car for me, until then keep working on it...
HondaBob and UnknownJinX like this.

2008 EX sedan 2.4l, 3 pedals Killed by a dump truck 12-13-2017
Mods: Weapon R I Throttle, OE style lip spoiler, painted calipers, K&N drop in w/ resonator delete, Redline shift boot & armrest cover, Crosstour cluster, JDM style visors, retrofit headlights (morimoto h1 7.0) TL RSB well worth the wait
J2 CBE, DIY 9th gen short shifter, 15mm spacers (rear) 35% tint
post #9 of 11 Old 12-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
Ain't gonna fix us young people not buying houses or new cars though, much less a Tesla or other EV car that's way more expensive to purchase and maintain. I can't afford any of those things no matter how good they are for the environment. I can afford what is affordable to me, and that means splitting rent on a crappy apartment between three people and driving older cars. And if having three cars is an arguing point, I don't think even the few thousand I spent on all of my cars this year total, would make much of a dent in the purchase price of one brand new car. Not that I even have good enough credit to qualify for a new car loan. And someone mentioned where do you even get those cars fixed in places that are resistant to change, I'd probably have to take a full EV halfway across the state to find someone who could fix one because I live in a place that hates change. And that's not my fault.
They can't make an affordable EV yet because that would be disastrous to the economy. See the GM EV1 example.

Also, how good EV is to the environment is dependent on how your power is generated. Yes, we use hydroelectricity in BC, but if you still burn coal to generate electricity, the "Zero emission" is just a big fat lie.

And remember, EVs still use plastic and rubber, so oil is still relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boring 08 EX View Post
Don't let anyone who drives an EV (or hybrid) convince you that you are "part of the problem" First of all, What Problem? Are we really going to get to the point where folks are being shamed for not accepting autonomous vehicles as the bright future? Screw that garbage, you show me a computer that cannot crash and I will accept them driving my car for me, until then keep working on it...
The only problem I see is how slow Prius drivers drive their cars, or the fact they can't even close the hood fully, LOL.

Seriously, it's impossible to have perfect programs - they are made by us. How could they be faultless when we are not?

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

post #10 of 11 Old 12-12-2017, 05:22 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
It kinda sucks being "part of the problem" with zero means to not be "part of the problem".

All us damned millennials just need to go to college, get a job and stop playing our damned video games, and we'll all be millionaires in 5 years. It's our fault we grew up and into the world we live in today, so we should just change things we can't change, and everything will be fine.
LOL, what's the hold up? Get moving on Mission Impossible will ya?

We haven't had any brownouts in my area in at least a couple years. Once in a while on a 100+ degree day they will call a "Flex Your Power Alert", a request to voluntarily wait until evening to run dishwasher, clothes washers, and other energy sucking things that can wait. A while back I read we have too much generation capacity and they have to practically give electricity away to neighboring states. Solar panels continue popping up everywhere. Tesla is very popular as are Euro cars and pretty much all motor vehicles.

Side note, I got behind a Lamborghini on the city street the other day. The sound is wicked, I would love to hear the full song, preferably from inside the car.

2008 Coupe V6
post #11 of 11 Old 12-13-2017, 06:38 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boring 08 EX View Post
Are we really going to get to the point where folks are being shamed for not accepting autonomous vehicles as the bright future?
That's already happening. But if I want/need something because reasons, those are my reasons. I don't need to justify them to anyone. I'm not destroying the planet any more than anyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
They can't make an affordable EV yet because that would be disastrous to the economy. See the GM EV1 example.

Also, how good EV is to the environment is dependent on how your power is generated. Yes, we use hydroelectricity in BC, but if you still burn coal to generate electricity, the "Zero emission" is just a big fat lie.

And remember, EVs still use plastic and rubber, so oil is still relevant.

The only problem I see is how slow Prius drivers drive their cars, or the fact they can't even close the hood fully, LOL.
All of those things are true but that doesn't stop people from arguing about it. If they really want to argue about EVs they can argue with oil companies/etc. who shut that ^&*% down years ago instead of letting it become a viable option... They're the ones to blame, not people who will never be able to afford one, probably in their lifetime.

Real talk, I like the styling of the newer Prius. I see them on my commute and most of them don't drive painfully slow on I-78.

Dat ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR4Lee View Post
LOL, what's the hold up? Get moving on Mission Impossible will ya?

Side note, I got behind a Lamborghini on the city street the other day. The sound is wicked, I would love to hear the full song, preferably from inside the car.
I know right, it's just that we're not motivated enough! If we keep butting our heads against a brick wall, we'll eventually break through it!

Side note, Driveclub VR with headphones on is pretty good for those dreams of being inside a wicked fast car. Sitting in the driver's seat of an F40, or GTR, or NSX and just revving it, mmmhmmmmm. Then taking it up a mountain and drifting around the corners, that's a whole 'nother thing...

(What's weird is, I get carsick very easily when someone else is driving, but in VR I don't get even the slightest bit motion sick.)

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.