What Car Company has the best Roadside Assistance? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
  • 1 Post By KW2004Accord
  • 1 Post By RickBlaine
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-09-2017, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
9th Gen EX-L V6, 2017

What Car Company has the best Roadside Assistance?

Brand new Accord completely died in the middle of an intersection today. Took over two hours for the tow truck to come, which was CAA, which is notoriously slow to respond to calls in Canada. I'm wondering if any of the manufacturers use a different company/system than CAA, as they are, in my experience, to respond to a call. I called Cadillac, and the OnStar system uses CAA as well, at least according to the operator, so they will likely be off the list for my next car. BMW has a select list of towing companies across the company, but does not link the call directly into CAA, so they might be a better bet. Anyone else have any input into who might respond the best?

Only thing with going with Beemer is that I just...really...might...need...that...tow truck.

2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6 (9th gen)
2017 Accord Coupe EX 18" wheels
Michelin A/S 3+ tires
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-09-2017, 04:25 PM
Out of Control

Here in the US, it is my understanding that all the company's that offer roadside assistance use the same service providers in any given area. They pay a discounted set fee where as a person paying full price for a tow always gets moved to the top of the list by the towing company, so it depends on how many calls they are dealing with & who will be paying the most vs how long you may have to wait. I knew a lady that waited 10hrs. for a battery jump a mall, she had AAA.

Jayzonk likes this.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 509K - 2017 EX automatic 2K
post #3 of 7 Old 12-09-2017, 04:30 PM

Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,360 Posts
Most simply hire a nationwide third party to take your info and farm it out to yet another (local) tow company which places you near the bottom of their priority list- because of money.

If you called a company yourself and said you need a tow truck and would pay cash- you would be #1 on the priority list because you will pay more than what the car companies- contracting with the dispatching companies, agreed to pay the final tow company.

A few years back I owned a truck company for two years as an investment. We were housed in a AAA facility that also shared space with a car repair and body shop. When I was bored, I would ride with tow truck drivers and even ended up getting a class C license as well as a CDL (I had a lot of free time). Anyhow, in addition to learning how quickly new Mini Coopers and 3 year old BMWs break down- I learned that a pre-contracted price of $35 ain't much compared to $65-$75 for a cash price.

Side story: I also saw some interesting scams regarding donation of vehicles for charity.....Widows would call up and want to get rid of their perfectly running 5 year old Audis, BMWs, Mercedes- and get a tax write-off....tow truck drivers would take the car and title, then run fast to a bone yard and pick up a beat to hell/smashed Audi, BMW, or Mercedes and turn THAT car in to the charity's auction lot. The volunteer there just knew a "Mercedes, BMW, or Audi" was coming in- not the condition of the car nor VIN number.

Anyhow- I found out one driver was getting all the nice cars in the north shore area and selling/flipping them for thousands of dollars.

State Farm insurance simply reimburses me for a tow- so last time I needed a tow, I just called and paid a "cash price" (really just my credit card), no waiting, and State Farm reimbursed (rates not raised).

EDIT: KW2004Accord beat me to it.
Jayzonk likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to RickBlaine For This Useful Post:
KW2004Accord (12-09-2017)

post #4 of 7 Old 12-09-2017, 04:36 PM
Roll Tide!

^ these two guys get it. if you want an immediate response, call your friend who has a tow strap and a truck.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-09-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
9th Gen EX-L V6, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW2004Accord View Post
Here in the US, it is my understanding that all the company's that offer roadside assistance use the same service providers in any given area. They pay a discounted set fee where as a person paying full price for a tow always gets moved to the top of the list by the towing company, so it depends on how many calls they are dealing with & who will be paying the most vs how long you may have to wait. I knew a lady that waited 10hrs. for a battery jump a mall, she had AAA.
Yes, I knew that was the case. The good thing about BMW is that if you don't want to wait, you can get your own tow truck and they will reimburse you. I'd also like to adjust my comment about Cadillac, as I just read on that Cadillac's OnStar offers the same pay up front and be reimbursed scheme, if the wait for a tow is too long.

2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6 (9th gen)
2017 Accord Coupe EX 18" wheels
Michelin A/S 3+ tires
post #6 of 7 Old 12-09-2017, 05:08 PM

Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayzonk View Post
I'd also like to adjust my comment about Cadillac, as I just read on that Cadillac's OnStar offers the same pay up front and be reimbursed scheme, if the wait for a tow is too long.
I like how you Canadians and Europeans use "scheme" to denote a "plan". In the USA, the word "scheme" usually means something sinister or negative. I have cousins in London and when they visit me in Chicago, we would be at Lou Mitchell's (famous breakfast place) and they would loudly ask, "What is your scheme?" instead of "Which site seeing trips have you planned for us today?" The cops and federal agents in that place would always suddenly pay more attention to us....
post #7 of 7 Old 12-09-2017, 09:30 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Let's just say that BMW provides it because they need it the most.

I am not even joking. When I had my RX-8 towed(save your rotary jokes - one of the ignition coils I put in got its wire rubbed through and kept blowing the fuse), I asked the tow truck driver what kind of car they tow the most. He told me that they see a lot of BMW and Mercedes - as they have too many electronics, so once they break down, you can't do much yourself on the side of the road.

I just got myself a BCAA membership on the spot once the 8's dragged home. It's funny how the annual membership costs less than a single tow, and the membership covers 3 tows.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.