Do you know more people who uses forums like this? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
10Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 09-28-2017, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Do you know more people who uses forums like this?

Just curiosity, although I am new here, I like forums a lot.
I have one for my car, my hobies, interests. But maybe I am old or I am not surrended by geeks, but I don't know other people in my "real life" who also appreciate the value of forums. So what about you?

Do you know other people using forums?
Why do you continue coming to forums like these?

Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-29-2017, 05:49 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
I frequent a lot of forums, but it's becoming a thing of the past with things like Facebook groups, subreddits and such. It was the thing to socialize with in the late 90s-early 00s when I was growing up though. But kids now probably are only using desktop computers for school, games and YouTube, and using their phones for everything else. I know people in my age group that haven't touched a physical keyboard since they were a kid, or never. If you put them in front of a keyboard they wouldn't be able to type faster than a few words per minute.

The reason I keep using forums is because people who aren't going to contribute and be..."mature"...on the forums don't stick around long. They get bored and stop posting. So most times, most members are long-time members or people who genuinely are interested and have decent communication skills. I've been on one forum since 2008 and I'm very good friends with some of the other long-time members there. It's like a little long-distance family.

cult45 and BudgetPlan1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #3 of 27 Old 09-29-2017, 06:26 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

I continue coming here because I like it....see my join date. I haven't owned a Honda since 2009. I moderate on a Toyota RAV4 forum and visit many others for auto detailing. I learn something from all of them especially Bob is the oil guy. They are all part of my daily routine.

post #4 of 27 Old 09-29-2017, 11:09 AM
Car so nice, bought twice

I have 2 forums that I religiously subscribe to: this one, and a tech one. I've dialed back my commitment to this one simply because the 8G isn't new anymore so there's less volume of "novel" posting happening.

I really hope things don't move to Facebook groups and such because they're basically black holes for information...whatever goes in can't be indexed to help other people later.
enne likes this.

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

post #5 of 27 Old 09-29-2017, 11:31 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowned12 View Post
I have 2 forums that I religiously subscribe to: this one, and a tech one. I've dialed back my commitment to this one simply because the 8G isn't new anymore so there's less volume of "novel" posting happening.

I really hope things don't move to Facebook groups and such because they're basically black holes for information...whatever goes in can't be indexed to help other people later.
The detailing FB group I'm in gets about a hundred or more WHATS THE BEST WAX TO USE/WATS GOOD SOAP/WHUTS TEH CHEAPEST AND BEST FOAM CANON/HOW MUCH U CHARGE FOR A INTERIOR ONLY/LOOK HOW DIRTY THIS MINIVAN IS LMAO ROFL BBQSAUCE posts a day.

Because like you said there's no way to see "threads" except for scrolling down through hundreds of other crap posts, no thread titles or keywords, searching is meh at best (no one does anyway), and generally no one on that group knows how to act like an adult or give a real answer without a load of snark, sarcasm and a "holier than thou" attitude. Barely any moderation, unless someone gets reported for breaking Facebook rules.

1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #6 of 27 Old 09-29-2017, 11:33 AM

Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,361 Posts
I spent two years working alongside one of the four Harvard student founders of Facebook- car knowledge is the last thing they thought about....I can only handle two "bro" or "brah" an hour. Any more and my head will explode.

Anyone see Scanners?

post #7 of 27 Old 09-29-2017, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Well, I am not alone then.

At least there are a bunch of forums like this one that remain strong. In my case I knew the forum after I bought my 8th Gen and it helped me a lot. At the time I had another user but I forgot it somewhere along the way.

I think as mentioned above, the basic difference is that the info here is somehow indexed and is reusable.
enne likes this.
post #8 of 27 Old 09-29-2017, 12:46 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
The detailing FB group I'm in gets about a hundred or more WHATS THE BEST WAX TO USE/WATS GOOD SOAP/WHUTS TEH CHEAPEST AND BEST FOAM CANON/HOW MUCH U CHARGE FOR A INTERIOR ONLY/LOOK HOW DIRTY THIS MINIVAN IS LMAO ROFL BBQSAUCE posts a day.
Autopia is a nice forum for detailing.

Esoteric also has a nice YouTube channel that's worth following:
The Following User Says Thank You to BudgetPlan1 For This Useful Post:
enne (09-29-2017)
post #9 of 27 Old 09-29-2017, 03:31 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
Autopia is a nice forum for detailing.

Esoteric also has a nice YouTube channel that's worth following:
As is Autogeek.
BudgetPlan1 likes this.
post #10 of 27 Old 09-29-2017, 07:34 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Well, I just join forums for whatever cars I have/had, so I come here and RX8Club a lot. Went to the Corolla forum a little bit as well.

Lots of good info you can find by just searching. I was able to fix the squeaky clutch in my RX-8 last night just with a bit of searching; turns out, it just needed a little bit of WD40.

I don't really know anyone around me using forums, but not a lot of them even have a car, so there is that.

Personally, I don't like Facebook groups just because I want a bit of privacy. Don't need anyone to know everything. I don't mind sharing a little bit of my life here and there on Facebook, but I don't need everyone know everything about what I am doing.

And I love seeing the 7th Gen V6 and I4 guys slapstick. Good entertainment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8accord View Post
At least there are a bunch of forums like this one that remain strong.
Gotta thank the mods for keeping the forums like this running well.

Forums are especially important for vintage/rare cars that not a lot of people know or understand.
enne likes this.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

post #11 of 27 Old 09-29-2017, 07:50 PM
Low Gear

Cars and forums went together during the glory days of Honda and the boom of the internet. Bad habits are hard to break. (Cars) Forums have become a second home to me. Since I'm "old," I'm not that connected with the twitter and such. Forums are what I know and where I feel comfortable.

It has not replace "friends" or social contact. It's just an addition. I come here for information, discussion, and try to help like those who helped me over the decades.

I'm here because I have an Accord. But I was still hanging around when I didn't. Then got an Accord again. Then didn't, then got an Accord again. So maybe car choice has something to do with it.

2016 Accord EX I4, 2010 Accord EX-L V6, 2017 Accord Sport
post #12 of 27 Old 09-29-2017, 08:09 PM

Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post

Gotta thank the mods for keeping the forums like this running well.

Forums are especially important for vintage/rare cars that not a lot of people know or understand.
Agree with the V6 vs. I4- I crack up. chris918 made me laugh a week ago when he responded to a question about caring for a V6 transmission, and he said "Why? They are disposable." or something like that. Funny stuff.

As for moderating, we have to create a culture different from other forums. My Nissan forum is 100% swearing and insulting using text speak. I have no idea what the heck people are posting- which leads me to...

Vintage/older cars. It is extremely important to develop well-written threads on subjects, so that years later the threads still have value as cars get passed to younger people. I was on a BRZ forum and it was like the poster child for illiteracy. You have no idea what the heck is happening.

Facebook may be conditioning people that they can have answers immediately. Ironically, this builds less of a community and degrades the knowledge- as the answers are not comprehensive.

“Knowledge is a matter of knowing facts. Wisdom is a matter of understanding and applying principles. A certain amount of knowledge is necessary for wisdom, and without wisdom, knowledge is not only useless, it's dangerous.”

― Hilda van Stockum, The Winged Watchman
enne likes this.
post #13 of 27 Old 09-29-2017, 08:45 PM
Roll Tide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
'fo shizzle!
enne likes this.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

post #14 of 27 Old 10-03-2017, 03:37 PM
Rollin in FL

Garage
For me, I have lingered onto multiple forums and had multiple social media accounts and then permanently deleting majority of them and having maybe one or two at the most. I find DA as a family-friendly forum, and I frequent DA, MDXers and Nicoforums, as other forums are near to being dead. But then in some forums, there are mods that can be a rear-end and make the search feature a member feature only (NicoForums). Whenever I see a post that was edited by RickBlaine, it gives me a laugh of the certain wording being used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
Agree with the V6 vs. I4- I crack up. chris918 made me laugh a week ago when he responded to a question about caring for a V6 transmission, and he said "Why? They are disposable." or something like that. Funny stuff.

As for moderating, we have to create a culture different from other forums. My Nissan forum is 100% swearing and insulting using text speak. I have no idea what the heck people are posting- which leads me to...

Vintage/older cars. It is extremely important to develop well-written threads on subjects, so that years later the threads still have value as cars get passed to younger people. I was on a BRZ forum and it was like the poster child for illiteracy. You have no idea what the heck is happening.

Facebook may be conditioning people that they can have answers immediately. Ironically, this builds less of a community and degrades the knowledge- as the answers are not comprehensive.

“Knowledge is a matter of knowing facts. Wisdom is a matter of understanding and applying principles. A certain amount of knowledge is necessary for wisdom, and without wisdom, knowledge is not only useless, it's dangerous.”

― Hilda van Stockum, The Winged Watchman
What is the Nissan forum you go to?

Mine:
Lucky- 1999 Honda Accord LX 2.3L 4AT- 112K (SSM)

Parents:
Pato- 2016 Nissan Rogue SL 2.5L CVT- 42k (ABM)
Lelu 2.0- 2017 Acura MDX w/ Tech 3.5L 9AT-- 2100 miles (BCP)

Long gone:
Lelu- 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/navi & res 3.5L- 151k (SGM)(traded-in)
2004 Hyundia Elentra Hatchback GLS- Idk miles (Silver) totaled
post #15 of 27 Old 10-03-2017, 04:42 PM
5th Gear

I've been on a high tech forum run by a major PC manufacturer since 2004 and I'm one of their main contributors. We help people fix their PC problems.

The platform they use has automated censor software which filters out "objectionable" words and/or certain urban dictionary slang from posts. No "socializing" is allowed so people can only post about their computer issues and not about what they ate for breakfast or who they dated last night. They can save that for Facebook and Twitter. Anybody posting spam or flaming another user over there quickly gets smacked with the "Ban Hammer".

Joined DA after I got my '16 Coupe and had questions about Sensing and the other bells/whistles in my new car. I learn a lot of things around here so I keep coming back...

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.