My 1987 Chevy Silverado project - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 05-01-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

My 1987 Chevy Silverado project

Just thought I would introduce my 1987 Chevy Silverado R10 (equivalent to the C10 of 73'-86'). I bought this as a project back in March. This speed demon has a TBI 305 w/ 700R4 and 3.08s out back. Nothing quite like a smog era 305, with overdrive, and super tall gears. The thing can barely move itself! As you can see below, the paint was badly neglected. The drivers side of the hood is after 30 minutes of washing. The hood, top of the cab, and tool box were all covered in that dirt. She's pretty straight and has virtually no rust (barring minor surface rust on the tailgate and the drivers door where a deer ran into it).

Plans for the truck mostly involve a swap to a Gen III small block 6.0L truck engine, with mild mods. My goal is to get the truck into the low 13s/high 12s with the 6.0L. Power goal is around 450-480HP, which is pretty obtainable with minimal work on these 6.0s. Other than that, I want to pull the body and clean up any rust (very very minimal), rebuild the suspension (new bushings, ball joints, etc), paint the frame, and swap in a 3.73 Posi-traction rear end. Then I'll be done (yeah right!).

Mods:

Engine
Stock 305 (5.0L) 170 HP, 260 TQ
4 Speed Automatic Overdrive (700R4)
Power Steering and A/C (broken)
3.08 rear end
Dual 16gal tanks

Exterior
Black/Gray with sweet striping
LWB
Chrome Push Bar
Sweet rusty toolbox

Interior
Interesting aftermarket seats w/ center console.
Sunpro tach on the dash
Deluxe Instrument Cluster w/ Water Temperature, Oil Pressure, Volts, Quartz Clock
Black carpet

Suspension/Wheels
Stock suspension
Stock Rallies
31's in the rear, 235/75/15s in front

Future Mods
Frame-off resto-mod.
Factory rims from a 2002 Chevy 2500HD
New paint job (part of the frame-off)
6.0L LQ4 w/ undetermined transmission.
1-ton springs in the front to level it out.

Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-01-2010, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Lately, I've been working on correcting the paint on the truck as best I can. It's been quite challenging, as I don't have a Orbital polisher, it's all by hand. I also included some shots of the (mostly) immaculate interior. Other than a cracked dash pad and faded seats, just about everything is mint. You can see the aftermarket seats as well. I'm not too sure what I think about those, I've been debating whether or not to find a factory bench, but I have quite decided yet.

Also got the gear oil changed in the rear end (never have I seen such BLACK gear oil, yuck).

This is before completing the hood. I did a "test panel" on the side to see if my methods would work.

After wet sanding the rest of the hood with 2000 grit, but before rubbing compound/fine polish.

After compound/polish.

Comparison shot showing how the paint looked before correction.

This picture shows how I mounted my tachometer. I like it up here as opposed to on the column, since it stays in my view while I am driving.

post #3 of 31 Old 05-01-2010, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Just got an exhaust installed on 4/29/10. Went against the norm, and did a single pipe 2.5" system (plenty to feed a stock 305 TBI for now). Since the truck is an 87', I still have to pass emissions, so I went with a 2.5" high-flow heavy duty Catco cat, and a 2.5" offset Magnaflow 4x9x18 muffler. She actually SOUNDS like a truck now!

I had it put together at Muffin Muffler in Austin, TX. Great guys, and they did an AWESOME job. It was a treat watching these guys work. I will definitely be bringing more business to them in the future.

Here are pics of the install.

post #4 of 31 Old 05-01-2010, 04:33 PM
5th Gear

Nice!
My friend also has an '87 R10, two tone, 350 fuel injection 700r4, 2wd long bed (dual gas tank)that he uses for his work truck. It's an excellent truck, although rusty, it really is bullet-proof.

Good start of your project so far, I wish you the best of luck. Any reason why you didn't go short bed if you are going for performance?

2013 Accord LX-S Coupe - 6MT (Black)
50% Tint Front/20% Tint Rear/5% Rear Windshield
Polk DXI6500 Comps Front/Polk DXI650 Rear
Unplugged ANC
EX-L Leather Shift Knob
post #5 of 31 Old 05-01-2010, 04:35 PM
5th Gear

Oh and good choice on the 6.0, really a bad-ass motor

Unplugged ANC
EX-L Leather Shift Knob
post #6 of 31 Old 05-01-2010, 04:59 PM
1st Gear

Great project truck. Just like my dads early 80's Silverado. I will pick one of these longbeds up myself in a few years and make it a nice weekend projects truck.
post #7 of 31 Old 05-01-2010, 05:04 PM

6.0?

You have more than enough room under that hood for an 8100.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #8 of 31 Old 05-01-2010, 05:13 PM
JuicedAccord

do a 6.2

New: 2010 TW Accord EX-L V6 Coupe w/nav Juiced on 20" Giovannas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old: 2008 BBP Accord EX-L V6 Coupe on 22's

post #9 of 31 Old 05-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Will the 6.0l work without a complex ECU hookup? That truck lived under a tree for a long time, eh? Nice project and I'm sure you bought it right. I had a '79 Caprice with a 305 and a 2:73 rear end. It was worthless but passing from 70mph on worked well. Got decent mpg for such a monster. Turning? Stopping? Well no, but I sold it with well over 100K but it was still smooth and shifted correctly. Nice truck, keep us posted as it progresses.
post #10 of 31 Old 05-01-2010, 06:09 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsvt View Post
6.0?

Didn't even think about that. TORQUE MONSTER

Unplugged ANC
EX-L Leather Shift Knob
post #11 of 31 Old 05-01-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsvt View Post
6.0?

While that is true, and the 8100 Vortec is a great motor, it is based on the older big block architecture. I want something based on the LS architecture, and the 6.0L fills the ticket perfectly. It also gets better gas mileage (not that it would matter at that point), haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiconthetire
Any reason why you didn't go short bed if you are going for performance?
I just prefer the extra utility of a long bed. I will admit that short beds do look better, however.
post #12 of 31 Old 05-01-2010, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
Will the 6.0l work without a complex ECU hookup? That truck lived under a tree for a long time, eh? Nice project and I'm sure you bought it right. I had a '79 Caprice with a 305 and a 2:73 rear end. It was worthless but passing from 70mph on worked well. Got decent mpg for such a monster. Turning? Stopping? Well no, but I sold it with well over 100K but it was still smooth and shifted correctly. Nice truck, keep us posted as it progresses.
There are a few companies that make what is essentially a plug-n-play harness. It has all the connectors to interface with the sensors and ECU, and you just hook it up to the truck with +12v, ground, and ignition. I will probably modify my own factory harness, as the aftermarket harnesses are quite expensive, but the end result will be the same.

To the post suggesting the 6.2L, I would love to! Unfortunately, the prices for those are sky-high, since they aren't as common. I have, however, thought about sourcing a 6L90E to put behind the 6.0L.
post #13 of 31 Old 05-01-2010, 06:45 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamypirate View Post
6L90E

I already love this thread

Unplugged ANC
EX-L Leather Shift Knob
post #14 of 31 Old 05-01-2010, 07:43 PM
banned

definitely looking to see the progress
post #15 of 31 Old 05-25-2010, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Not much progress on this yet, unfortunately. Did spring for some new Michelin LTX M/S2 tires for the truck. Now, I'm just trying to decide what I want for rims...nothing huge and flashy, definitely staying with 15" wheels. Thinking about Cragar Nomad IIs in 15x8.

Wife and I are looking at buying a house here shortly, as well. Something reasonable. The place we are looking at building is 2 miles from the Dell campus I work at, and the plan is $161,000 base price for 1852 sq. ft.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.