Sears tried to rip me off- but I got a new free battery. - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
9Likes
  • 7 Post By RickBlaine
  • 1 Post By dugn
  • 1 Post By qman
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-07-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,360 Posts
Sears tried to rip me off- but I got a new free battery.

Sometimes things just come together and go your way.....today was that day.

So today I had to go to Sears to get a Craftsman 1/4 socket wrench replacement (lifetime warranty and still no receipt required). It happened to have a 10mm socket attached to it- as I pulled it from my tool kit that way. This is the second Craftsman free replacement 1/4 inch socket wrench that has failed me. They keep a bunch marked "reconditioned" right there under the cash register as they fail pretty quickly now.

Anyhow, I also happened to have my big 3-ring binder of all my maintenance receipts for the Honda in the trunk. A friend's daughter was getting her first car, and so I was being a good uncle and showing how you need to keep track of receipts- it helps with maintenance and with re-sale. I mentioned member "Drew03Accord" and his electronic scanning method- but this makes a good visual to get the point across. I told her either way- just keep track so you don't get taken advantage of.

I started the Accord this morning, and it was slow to start. I mean- it started, but it was a slower crank than usual. My Accord happened to have a 3 year old Sears Diehard 24F in it lately.

The tool section and Auto center are in the same area, so I walked by to see what the cost of a Diehard 24Fs is on my way to the tool center- just curious, as I'd rather buy from Advance Auto. Manager sees me and says, "We offer free battery testing." I told him my starter was a little slow to crank this morning. He said, "Pull in to bay#2 and I'll test it. Should take 2 minutes." I was curious as I just charged it a week ago, and it was at 12.5 volts last week.

He hooks up his tester and in front of two underlings, says, "Yeah, this battery is no good- you need a new one." The machine spits out a paper record, and the boss rips it out of the underling's hand and says, "Here, see for yourself. Follow me and we'll pick out a new one."

So I look at the paper record- it says my battery is at 12.5 volts and at 545 CCA (it is rated for 750 CCA). I guess he thinks I look like an idiot (guilty ) because no where on the paper did it say "pass" or "fail". But I would surmise- based on those numbers, that it is a "PASS" even though he said it was a "FAIL".

I have no intention of buying a battery from Sears- as I think it is still "acceptable", but I ask if the old one can be pro-rated. He says he will look up my info and proceeds to tell me they have no record- so "No, no pro-rating". Then he moves away to handle some guy getting 4 tires, and the helpful underling asks me for my phone number again- now on the screen my name is there as is my Accord, Nissan 240sx, and my old Dodge Stealth. He comes back to the counter and says that the battery was not assigned to a car, so they can't pro-rate it. I tell him I have a paper receipt- he was stunned.

In front of him and his two underlings- I bring out the 3-ring binder and expertly flip to the battery receipt. He looks at my battery and says the date code is December 2013- so I am past 3 years anyway. I say the warranty is not based on the little sticker (that's the date of manufacturer), but on the date of purchase, and I purchased this battery 3 years ago- TODAY, at this very counter. As a matter of fact, I bought it at 3:37 pm, and it is now 3:15 pm. So I am a few minutes shy of 3 years!!

The manager then tells me that he made a mistake- my battery is still good, maybe needs a charge is all, and that one of his underlings will charge it up for me.

I learned in negotiations that when someone comes up with a bunch of bullcrap- sometimes it is better to remain emotionless, stare, and not say a word. After the longest and most awkward 5 seconds of silence, he broke and said OK, he will give me a battery for just $20 because everyone pays to have it installed.

I told him I would remove the old battery and install my new battery right in front of his front door, so no thanks of the 30 minute install for $20.

I ran to "TOOLS" and picked up the replacement 1/4 inch socket wrench, came back and removed the 3 year old battery, and dropped in a new battery.

He gave me a receipt for this battery- no warranty as my original 3 year battery warranty would expire in 3 minutes.....I saw that he had typed up everything on the screen: $139.99 for battery, $20 installation, tax, disposal fee (no core charge, though) came out to $173.45 out the door. But for me, FREE!

Maybe my old battery would have lasted another 2 years? Maybe this new battery dies next month?

5 days ago I picked up a free 24F from Advance Auto for my Nissan 240sx- just 3 weeks shy of that battery's 3 year warranty. Hella week in battery land for yours truly.

Made me think of my method of keeping records, and Drew's method. If I could upload it to the cloud and retrieve it on my smart phone- that would have worked too.

Maybe much of this dishonest game is who you get at the counter....and preparation.

Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-07-2017, 08:04 PM
Roll Tide!

That's just cra-cra. Drew03Accord would be proud.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-07-2017, 08:53 PM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
Nice one! I bet they'll remember you.

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 177k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2003 Ford F-150
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma

post #4 of 14 Old 01-07-2017, 09:05 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
That's just cra-cra. Drew03Accord would be proud.
Would be??? Das ma boy!!!

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
post #5 of 14 Old 01-08-2017, 04:31 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
I mentioned member "Drew03Accord" and his electronic scanning method- but this makes a good visual to get the point across.
Aside from scanning... I use Adobe Acrobat Pro on my laptop. You can PDF any web page with it. Just go to file, print and choose PDF.

On my phone, I use a free app called CamScanner. It allows you to take a pic of a receipt, then it PDFs it right then and there. Works good with faded receipts.

When you log into Advance Auto website, it keeps a nice list of your online orders, which you can print years later. I still pdf them too.

2003 LX Sedan, i4 + Automatic. 201K and counting.
My toughest oil thread:

Update your sig with your ride here (10 post minimum req):
The Following User Says Thank You to Drew03Accord For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (12-08-2017)
post #6 of 14 Old 01-08-2017, 05:32 AM
4th Gear

I do the same thing with records, but usually its the lifetime warranty I'm claiming on. Happened on a muffler once on our old beater work truck. It had been almost 20 years but you could still read the receipt and it clearly stated "lifetime muffler warranty", the replacement they gave me wasn't a lifetime because they magically don't offer those anymore. They also stated that in the future they wouldn't be replacing it again, but I have my receipt and it says LIFETIME!!
post #7 of 14 Old 01-08-2017, 05:52 AM
4th Gear

The only thing that keeps Craftsman tools being bought is the warranty as they aren't made in the US for quite some time. My dad has the old good stuff that I may get one day. Being in retail for 15 years I see how people tend to bring product back right before the warranty or protection plan expires. Funny how items go bad right at the expiration date ) I wish I had a binder for my Accord like my 1972 BMW 2002 I had long ago.

2007 Accord Sedan i4 Alabaster Silver

AMR coil overs / Swift Springs 12k/8k
Weds Sport Tc105n 17x8 +42 square / PSS 225/45
TruHart front upper CA's / UR tower bar
Hardrace rear lateral links /rear upper CA's
Progress 22mm RSB
DBA T2 slotted front rotors, 6-6 calipers
6k DRL/6k Switchback TS/ Morimoto H1 Projector retrofit w/ 5500k
post #8 of 14 Old 12-08-2017, 08:01 AM
banned

Nice success story RickBlaine!

Any pointer to Drew03Accord's receipt method? I did a number of searches here an didn't come up with a clear winner. Very interested in starting a new system and glad to be pointed to his method. Thanks!
RickBlaine likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-08-2017, 08:37 AM
Out of Control

Just keep your receipts and you'll be good. I have all my receipts for all my cars in manila folders. Works great.
scar_cle likes this.

2003 Accord EX I4 AT (mine), K&N drop in (surprised), JL Audio TR690Txi 6X9 in the rear
2004 Accord EX I4 MT (wife's), totally bone stock except for all the crap that fills every cubic inch that is not the driver seat.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-08-2017, 08:42 AM
Car so nice, bought twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Just keep your receipts and you'll be good. I have all my receipts for all my cars in manila folders. Works great.
I order everything on line and do in-store pickup if needed so then my inbox is my receipt folder if I need to dig something up.
RickBlaine, Gearwrench has been my goto ratchet for years now and works great. I'm also shifting to Koken tools now because the quality is stunning and exactly what you'd expect from Made in Japan.

2012 Accord EX-L AT V6 Sdn Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory (
)
- CAI, J37 Intake + TB, TB Coolant Bypass, Ported Intake Runners, RV6 HFPC + JPipe (Ceramic Coated), PCV filter
- Koni FSDs, Voodoo13 6 Control Arms, Rear Ultra Racing Chassis Bracing, 22mm Rear + Acura TL Front, Akebono Performance Pads, Centric High Carbon Cryo rotors, SS lines.

The Following User Says Thank You to drowned12 For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (12-08-2017)
post #11 of 14 Old 12-08-2017, 09:08 AM
4th Gear

I already used the "battery" warranty from my local autozone.

When I had the repairs done on my 07, they left a door open for days, and it killed the battery. I brought the battery back to autozone and they keep everything in the computer. (but had the receipt just incase) I didnt need a thing and had a brand new battery within about 5 mins, even due to someone elses error. No questions asked score!

Former:
1984 Olds Cutlass(1st car)
1991 Taurus wagon (LOL)
1995 Mitsu eclipse- GSX
2002 Honda Civic(RIP AUTO-TRANS)
2008 Honda Accord LX (Traded-Oil burner)

Current:
2007 Honda Accord EX-L(His)
2016 Honda Accord EX-L(Hers)
post #12 of 14 Old 12-08-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugn View Post
Nice success story RickBlaine!

Any pointer to Drew03Accord's receipt method? I did a number of searches here an didn't come up with a clear winner. Very interested in starting a new system and glad to be pointed to his method. Thanks!
Thank you. I will follow Drew03Accord scanning method on my next car- to start fresh. I can't recall if he did a write-up specifically on receipts, but I will ask as it seems the better method. I helped a co-worker with a battery once at Advance Auto, and somehow her name is listed in my phone number. Many times when I am checking out at Advance Auto, they ask me if I am Mrs. Maria Ina-Gonzalez and how my Dodge Caliber is doing. I have to explain that I am not Mrs. Maria Ina-Gonzalez and that I don't own a Dodge Caliber- but if they remove her name she loses the warranty- so I just say that Mrs. Maria Ina-Gonzalez is waiting outside for the 2 cans of brake cleaner I am buying today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowned12 View Post
I order everything on line and do in-store pickup if needed so then my inbox is my receipt folder if I need to dig something up.
RickBlaine, Gearwrench has been my goto ratchet for years now and works great. I'm also shifting to Koken tools now because the quality is stunning and exactly what you'd expect from Made in Japan.
Thank you! I will check these out as the Craftsman ratchets seem to be the things that fail. I did a comparison of modern Stanley, Bostitch, Harbor Freight, and some other brand (NOT Lowes, not Husky at Home Depot) sockets and was surprised that the socket thickness of the Craftsman set I have are still thicker than the sockets at any of those other places (Lowes and Home Depot have thick sockets too). The Craftsman sockets are well-made, but those 1/4 and 3/8 ratchets don't last more than a year for me.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-08-2017, 12:37 PM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
Thank you. I will follow Drew03Accord scanning method on my next car- to start fresh. I can't recall if he did a write-up specifically on receipts, but I will ask as it seems the better method...
Because of the ubiquity of cell phones, I'm going to start taking photos (scanning in) my repair receipts / maintenance records - including photos I may want to add of the old part into Microsoft's OneNote. OneNote will load it to the cloud (OneDrive) and OCR the text so I can search by keyword for it in the future.

Barring details on the Drew03Accord method, I think that's what I'll start doing for my auto receipts like I've been doing for household purchases for some time.
The Following User Says Thank You to dugn For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (12-08-2017)
post #14 of 14 Old 12-08-2017, 06:07 PM
6th Gear

Those guys in Sears will never forget you as long as Sears stays in business (Good luck there. I mean, you sold the tower years ago and all).

2008 Coupe V6
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.