Teflon Coating for your car... - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 11-16-2005, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Lovin' my new car...

Question Teflon Coating for your car...

The Acura dealer tried to sell me (for a nice price, of course) a Teflon coating that they would spray on the car - apparently, so that you never have to wax your car again (or at least, that's how it's advertised).

My friend who bought her Accord at the same dealership (just Honda) had it done and said it was a waste of her money.

Has anyone else had this done before and if so what's your opinion?

MY NEW BABY! Delivered 11/15/05
'05 Acura TL w/Navi, AT in White Diamond Pearl, Parchment leather and gold emblems

PAST:
'04 Accord Coupe V6 6MT w/Navi in Satin Silver
'02 Civic Coupe EX 5MT (Satin Silver)
'94 del Sol 5MT (Red)
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-16-2005, 09:03 AM
4th Gear

I remember awhile back(years to be exact)somebody came out with carwax that had teflon in it. A guy who I had detail the car asked me if I had ever put any kind of carwax that included teflon? I asked him why and he said that they have to almost strip the clearcoat to remove it before they could get a good shine back.
Since then I've stayed away from all these "wonder product".

Honda Accord 2004 EX w/Nav
2k6 Nissan Frontier NISMO 4x4 6sp King Cab w/265hp of excitement everyday.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-16-2005, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Lovin' my new car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord9404
I remember awhile back(years to be exact)somebody came out with carwax that had teflon in it. A guy who I had detail the car asked me if I had ever put any kind of carwax that included teflon? I asked him why and he said that they have to almost strip the clearcoat to remove it before they could get a good shine back.
Since then I've stayed away from all these "wonder product".
That's enough said to scare me into not getting it!!
I'll stick to carnuba!

'05 Acura TL w/Navi, AT in White Diamond Pearl, Parchment leather and gold emblems

PAST:
'94 del Sol 5MT (Red)

post #4 of 15 Old 11-16-2005, 09:36 AM
OCD

I stay away from all synthetics

I stick to good old wax, it's a pain to "Wax on - Wax off" but the results on light coloured cars are excellent (never had a dark car) if you are OCD as I am about the process. I think the brand I use is Turtle wax, none of the new age stuff, my Dad always swore by the brand so I stuck to it. and to keep my car feeling smoother and looking shinier longer between applications I use their Zipwash or Zipwax (can't remember which). It's basically some carnuba wax mixed in with the soap. The car feels and looks great after a wash, providing I use a clean Chamois and again am OCD about getting all the water off.

P.S. It's a lot easier when you use the local car wash and do the final rinse with the spot free water (which is basically distilled water) before drying off with a chamois.

Now why I got into all that I don't know my 2 bits I guess on keeping the shine

10 Civic Type S GT 1.8L MT I4
05 Accord Coupe LX-SE MT I4 Gone..sniff sniff
post #5 of 15 Old 11-16-2005, 10:05 AM
4th Gear

On the subject of which wax is better you are going to find as many opinions as to which oil is best.
Personally I learned my lesson regarding waxing my own vehicle(s). On my 95' GMC Sonoma I've never waxed it, have run it through car washers and the clearcoat looks really good. Most do not know this but it's still in that good shape. This is not something I advocate for or against just my experience.
Now my 2k4 Accord Ex I take it to a pro and have it done(2x year) right. So far so good.

post #6 of 15 Old 11-16-2005, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Lovin' my new car...

I'm really looking forward to hand washing and waxing it this weekend in 45* weather!

I love to wash and wax my cars. I am SO particular (which I've inherited from the b/f) and just don't trust most folks with my cars because I'll 9/10 find a flaw in their work. It gives me a sense of pride in what I've done...Now it may take me 4 hours to complete, but I get there.

PAST:
'94 del Sol 5MT (Red)
post #7 of 15 Old 11-16-2005, 10:33 AM
4th Gear

I use to enjoy washing the 2K4 Accord but found that my wife did not treat it with TLC like I wanted her to. So she is own her own. I will have it detailed twice a year but in between this it's her responsibility.

post #8 of 15 Old 11-16-2005, 11:08 AM
5th Gear

Hahahahahahahahahaa... this thread is a joke, right!

Btw, if anyone wants to buy some snake-oil, pm me!

Durka Durka
post #9 of 15 Old 11-16-2005, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Lovin' my new car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA05LXDriver
Hahahahahahahahahaa... this thread is a joke, right!

Btw, if anyone wants to buy some snake-oil, pm me!
What's so funny about it?
Do you have issues with Teflon? Waxing??

PAST:
'94 del Sol 5MT (Red)
post #10 of 15 Old 11-16-2005, 02:51 PM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

The teflon coating goes in line with the underbody rustproofing (all cars have that now) and the $400 Simoniz paint sealant package (aka wax). More reasons why I don't like dealer tack ons.. If you didn't see it in the factory catalog, don't even think about getting it.
post #11 of 15 Old 11-16-2005, 07:19 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJW73
What's so funny about it?
Do you have issues with Teflon? Waxing??
I used to work at an Acura dealer. It's common insider knowledge that these products are no better than polymer/teflon wax products in retail stores everywhere. You didn't get the scotchguard treatment with that, did you!?

"It's so hot today you could cook and egg on my car! Come to think of it, I have an egg and a spatula right here!"

Durka Durka
post #12 of 15 Old 11-16-2005, 07:31 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
I used to work at an Acura dealer. It's common insider knowledge that these products are no better than polymer/teflon wax products in retail stores everywhere. You didn't get the scotchguard treatment with that, did you!?
How did you sell urinal mints at an Acura deal? J/K J/K...

Scotchgard for those that don't know can be had for 5 bucks a can at your local store and works just as good...Ody owners have done it and we know they all have messy kids (I know because clean Ody's are one in a million)
post #13 of 15 Old 11-16-2005, 07:39 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiBoy650
How did you sell urinal mints at an Acura deal? J/K J/K...
I sold the used ones to customers as throat lozenges

Ok ok....disgusting, but this is "the pit" forum.

Durka Durka
post #14 of 15 Old 11-17-2005, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Lovin' my new car...

Quote:

"It's so hot today you could cook and egg on my car! Come to think of it, I have an egg and a spatula right here!"
No, no.... didn't get either, thankfully.
They really do try to lay it on you pretty good with all of the extras....

PAST:
'94 del Sol 5MT (Red)
post #15 of 15 Old 11-17-2005, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Lovin' my new car...

Quote:
I sold the used ones to customers as throat lozenges

Ok ok....disgusting, but this is "the pit" forum.

PAST:
'94 del Sol 5MT (Red)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.