Liberty Mutual RightTrack -- up to 30% annual insurance discount - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
21Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 20 Old 12-19-2017, 11:54 AM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Too bad my OBD2 port's already occupied by a Valentine One. Not that I speed like a madman, but driving a red sports car has its drawbacks.

Oh, and I don't live in Murica, though I will be visiting LA tomorrow.

I am sure most Toyota drivers will love this, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm1469 View Post
It's an ok thing I guess, if you live in a smaller city because "hard braking" (per their blanket definition) happens routinely in bigger cities. That device was dinging me left and right for "hard braking" which is b.s. People pull out in front of you, traffic suddenly slows or stops, happens all the time. Pass on both companies.
You have to brake hard at times so you can avoid running into an accident, and yet braking hard voids the insurance discount.

The irony here is baffling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
30% for driving line a nun for 90 days? No f'n way, man. No way. They can keep the $180 and I'm going to have fun driving. Hell, I spend that much going out on a Tuesday night. Ain't that right enne ?
Agreed. Have to go with the 9000 RPM redline on this one.

In my experience, I don't think accelerating hard isn't a big factor. If anything, I hate those who spend their sweet time accelerating away from a green light with a clear intersection. JUST. GO. I have places to be, grandma!

I have a spirited driving style, but I also stay alert at all times(no cell phones for sure), and if something is dangerous, then I won't do it. I won't fly down the street if there is heavy rain, for example. What the OBD2 can't capture is how many times people honk at you or how many times you swerve in and out of lanes. And guess what, some people drive slow and still drive like dummies. Just a couple of days ago, a lady driving her Land Rover slowly almost ran into me as it drove out of a supermarket parking lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
What I take away from this sort of system, is if you're already a good driver and trust your ability to show the device that you are in fact a good driver, go for it. If you're a bad driver or your aluminum foil hat is on too tight, just don't opt in to it.
It doesn't capture everything accurately. Again, it can't record how many mistakes you make. Just because one accelerates hard, doesn't mean they are a terrible driver.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

jimijam likes this.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 Old 12-19-2017, 04:55 PM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
True, but if you know how it works (they tell you everything that will trip the sensor) and are willing to live with it for a while, you can make it *think* you are a good driver and get the discount. And in the case of Snapshot I called them a few times and explained why that hard brake wasn't my fault or I wasn't driving at the time the sensor went off, and they actually "removed" those counts against my Snapshot. Like they can't remove the record itself but they can make it not add on to the total.

From my Snapshot experience thread

My initial discount, given after the first 30 days: 10%

My final discount, given after the full 6 month period: 20%

(note: maximum discount rate can go up to 30%)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #18 of 20 Old 12-19-2017, 06:40 PM
6th Gear

The Big Brother aspect turns me off 100%. No tin foil, but why do I need them seeing when I decide to floor it and for how long? I don't even want to think about some Nanny spy along for the ride. What about the bike, it goes faster?! Not that I am pushing the envelope usually. It just rubs my fur the wrong way. I also like using cash so there are less records of everything dang thing I buy, down to Mickey D's.

This younger generation doesn't care about or know privacy, wtf?
Get off my lawn!

2008 Coupe V6

post #19 of 20 Old 12-19-2017, 09:53 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Another aspect I think this is ignoring is owner maintenance. Driving behaviours don't help much if your tires are garbage and your brake lights aren't working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post
True, but if you know how it works (they tell you everything that will trip the sensor) and are willing to live with it for a while, you can make it *think* you are a good driver and get the discount. And in the case of Snapshot I called them a few times and explained why that hard brake wasn't my fault or I wasn't driving at the time the sensor went off, and they actually "removed" those counts against my Snapshot. Like they can't remove the record itself but they can make it not add on to the total.

From my Snapshot experience thread

My initial discount, given after the first 30 days: 10%

My final discount, given after the full 6 month period: 20%

(note: maximum discount rate can go up to 30%)
Well, I suppose if I still have my Corolla and it's a thing here in BC(which isn't likely; ICBC is greedy AF), I might give it a shot.

The braking hard part is a bit silly. I haven't seen anyone braking hard unless it's absolutely necessary. I usually leverage off the extra engine braking the MT gives me.

Also, what if someone decides to take their car to an AutoX event where hard acceleration and braking are necessary? Do you just have to explain it? Just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR4Lee View Post
The Big Brother aspect turns me off 100%. No tin foil, but why do I need them seeing when I decide to floor it and for how long? I don't even want to think about some Nanny spy along for the ride. What about the bike, it goes faster?! Not that I am pushing the envelope usually. It just rubs my fur the wrong way. I also like using cash so there are less records of everything dang thing I buy, down to Mickey D's.

This younger generation doesn't care about or know privacy, wtf?
Get off my lawn!
I do care about my privacy, but at the same time, I am not important enough for everything to be a secret.

So what if people know I rev to 9k all the time?

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

post #20 of 20 Old 12-20-2017, 06:52 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Yes, you are right in that the risk data they collect does not include the actual mechanical condition of your car. But if you really wanted that to be part of it, everyone would be getting agents sent to their house to get their car appraised. And that would probably make a lot of people's rates go up because most insurance companies never do that, unless your car is very rare, a collector, antique, very expensive, etc. Under good faith they are assuming the car is in stock, good condition with no problems and being properly maintained (tires and all that). Unless of course, you have something like additional coverage for aftermarket parts/upgrades. But if you rear end someone and the adjuster sees your tires are very obviously bald, causing you to not have stopping power, they will probably deny your claim lol.

It really isn't a matter of them spying on you. There's no one actively watching what your car is sending back to them, it's just storing data in a database and then applying that data to a formula in order to calculate a discount. It's very possible that no one will ever, ever look at your data on that unless there's some sort of problem with the data on your policy specifically. Which would be rare. And even then they'd only be able to see the numbers. Like there's really nothing else to it AFAIK. Since I work at an insurance company as a programmer I have the ability to look at stuff similar to this data so I know for a fact that it's really no big deal and no one is gonna "spy" on the data that gets sent back. It's made to be hands-off anyway, so you don't have an agent hounding you about your driving habits to get that exact same data.

It's helpful for them to get data on the risks they use to calculate premiums/discounts, and it saves you time and effort (and money, possibly) working with them to potentially get that discount.

Like I said with me calling them a few times about hard braking, the one time I had the Accord in for a brake job and the tech - obviously - took the car out and performed the pad bedding procedure, which definitely includes "hard braking" as Progressive defines it! When I checked it on the mobile app and saw there were a few hard brake counts during that time, I just called them and said hey, I just had my car in for service and I think the guy who worked on it test drove it and hit the brakes to test it. Since it wasn't me driving the car (and I would have had a shop receipt to prove when the car was in their possession), could you please do something about it. The guy on the phone said yes, he could have those ones not "count" toward my final discount. The records would still be in the database but they would not apply.

I would advise not doing track day on the car you're doing this with, haha XD

Honestly, I did not find it difficult or frustrating to just take it easy for the time I had the Snapshot plugged in. Not that the car I had it plugged into was capable of some of the things it looks for, like "jackrabbit starts" and speeding over a certain MPH. Haha

And remember you don't have to keep this thing in the car forever. Just however many days they ask you. For Snapshot it was an initial 30 days and then I could opt to either send the device back or keep it in for a bit longer to get more of a discount.
UnknownJinX likes this.

1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.