Ticket for tints???? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 08-22-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
TL A-Specs RUBY------CURB

Send a message via MSN to californium90
Ticket for tints????

Guys I was pulled over by an officer in Buffalo, NY for having tints on my car.... He wrote on the tickets that the visiblitiy of the tints is greater than 70%. when i asked the officer to use a tint meter to measure the tint, his response was, " i have already written you a ticket, i am not using the meter now." can i tell this to the judge when i plead not guilty to the charge. even though its an equipment violation, the officer failed to use proper protocol and measure the dakness of the tint.... i do not wish to pay a 150 usd fine for no reason when the tints were under the legal specifcatons.
by the way people, i am back to drive accord after a long break... thank you all for he support you guys provided me with when my family was killed in the car accident. it will not be forgotten!

2006 Inspire a.k.a Ruby

30% tint all around.
Diode Dynamics stage 3 LED kit
ACURA TL A Spec rims (chrome)
Inspire Chrome Headlamps
03-05 Front Lip modded on
06 Hybrid OEM tails
06 Hybrid OEM sideview mirrors
Full leather conversion from a totaled 2004 EXL-V6
Full OEM navi -transplant from a 2006 sedan with voice command and back up camera
Leather steering wheel
Illuminated door sills
Tein SS coilovers
OEM Honda all weather mats front and rear
OEM decklid lip spolier
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 08-22-2009, 07:41 PM
6th Gear

What do you mean by visibility is greater than 70%? What % tints do you actually have? If you do indeed have tint with a higher percentage than 70, there is no way the officer could even notice.

2008 NBP EX Coupe | 5000k HIDs | LED interior/reverse | Harmon Kardon Ipod Interface | 35% tints | Hyper Yellow DRL | LED Halo Fogs | Silverstar Turn Signals | Chrome Grille Strips/Mesh lower grille | Taillight Tint
post #3 of 30 Old 08-22-2009, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

he wrote on the ticket tints less than 70%

2006 Inspire a.k.a Ruby

30% tint all around.
Inspire Chrome Headlamps
06 Hybrid OEM tails
Full OEM navi -transplant from a 2006 sedan with voice command and back up camera
Leather steering wheel
Illuminated door sills
Tein SS coilovers
OEM decklid lip spolier

post #4 of 30 Old 08-22-2009, 07:52 PM
6th Gear

Are your tints actually less than 70%? If so, you really can't even see them. If you have any form of aftermarket tint-including some of the "invisible" tints, then you are definitely below 70%.

2008 NBP EX Coupe | 5000k HIDs | LED interior/reverse | Harmon Kardon Ipod Interface | 35% tints | Hyper Yellow DRL | LED Halo Fogs | Silverstar Turn Signals | Chrome Grille Strips/Mesh lower grille | Taillight Tint
post #5 of 30 Old 08-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Californium90,

Welcome back, hope you have found the right path in your life after all these time.

What is the level of the tint you had installed? Was it legal level of tint for New York State? If so then just show the Judge the receipt as evidence in your defense.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 30 Old 08-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Go Bills!

Buffalo, NY!

Where did you get pulled? I-290, I-990, I-190?

70% lights into your car is pretty much the OEM....so, whatever you put probably lower than 70%.

NYS law mandates 70% lights into the car on front and windshield.

"A Wise Man can see more from the bottom of a well than a Fool can see from the top of a mountain."

Current Ride:
2003 Accord LX Sedan

Previous Rides:
2003 Civic EX Sedan
2002 Civic EX Coupe
post #7 of 30 Old 08-22-2009, 08:11 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by californium90 View Post
Guys I was pulled over by an officer in Buffalo, NY for having tints on my car.... He wrote on the tickets that the visiblitiy of the tints is greater than 70%. when i asked the officer to use a tint meter to measure the tint, his response was, " i have already written you a ticket, i am not using the meter now." can i tell this to the judge when i plead not guilty to the charge. even though its an equipment violation, the officer failed to use proper protocol and measure the dakness of the tint.... i do not wish to pay a 150 usd fine for no reason when the tints were under the legal specifcatons.
by the way people, i am back to drive accord after a long break... thank you all for he support you guys provided me with when my family was killed in the car accident. it will not be forgotten!
If your tint allows less than 70% light through then your argument won't hold up in court. He doesn't need a tint meter if your tint is 35% or darker because he can clear see it. Your argument will be like a speeder doing 100+mph being pulled over w/o the actually speed recorded. The cop can clearly see the car was speeding just like he can clearly see your tint is darker than 70%.

97 Accord LX Coupe A/T 28mpg

09 Accord LX-P A/T 31mpg

Pagani Zonda - When I win the lottery and move to Europe.
post #8 of 30 Old 08-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Go Bills!

Quote:
New York Tint Law Enacted: 1991
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN NEW YORK?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In New York, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.
There you go.

"A Wise Man can see more from the bottom of a well than a Fool can see from the top of a mountain."

Current Ride:
2003 Accord LX Sedan

Previous Rides:
2003 Civic EX Sedan
2002 Civic EX Coupe
post #9 of 30 Old 08-22-2009, 08:15 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _karu_ View Post
Quote:
New York Tint Law Enacted: 1991
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN NEW YORK?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In New York, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.
There you go.
We already established this. We need to know what % tint the OP has on his car.

97 Accord LX Coupe A/T 28mpg

09 Accord LX-P A/T 31mpg

Pagani Zonda - When I win the lottery and move to Europe.
post #10 of 30 Old 08-22-2009, 08:26 PM
VTAKKKK

Send a message via AIM to CYANiDE
The OP seems to acknowledge the fact that his tint is dark simply by stating he is pleading not guilty because the officer didn't use a tint meter. I have 35% on my car, but i usually roll with the windows down anyway, so it doesn't matter. If I do roll up my windows I make sure to have the sunroof cover open, so some more light can get in. I have less than 3 weeks with my tint, but I'm happy, and pray I won't get a ticket.

2006 Accord EX i4 Sedan - 5AT - Graphite Pearl - [89,0xx miles]
FF Type II Coilovers || Skunk2 Front Camber Arms || Ingalls Rear Camber Kit || Acura TL-S 27mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars || K&N SRI
post #11 of 30 Old 08-22-2009, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys thank you for the quick responses... I guess i will just go to court and see what the judge has to say about the ticket... worse come to worse i have to pay a fine..... karu, i got pulled over on grover cleveland highway aka millersport by an amherst police officer.... and avivography thanks for the welcome.. i am doing well now... I have managed to retain my dads buisness that he left behind and go to his restaurant everyday, i have left all the work to reliable managers who take good care of the places... i am also starting grad school from Monday on so things have worked out but i still miss my family a lot!

2006 Inspire a.k.a Ruby

30% tint all around.
Inspire Chrome Headlamps
06 Hybrid OEM tails
Leather steering wheel
Illuminated door sills
Tein SS coilovers
OEM decklid lip spolier
post #12 of 30 Old 08-22-2009, 08:58 PM
banned

Californium90:

Do you have (written) PROOF of the tint-level in your car? NO problem.

Here (in Alabama), our State Legislature finally had to toss out the tint inspection laws...due to calibration issues with the (infra-red) testing equipment.

The Cop has to PROVE his case against you. However, final call is strictly up to the Judge who hears your case. And (regrettably) the entire U.S. Legal System is ROTTEN to the core, up and down, bottom to top.

Get a nice, short haircut, shave off the Goatee, wear a sharp suit, go in with your "Ducks lined up, in a row." Hopefully you can make the Judge realize the Cop stepped on his D**K, since the Cop (ostensibly) collected NO convicting evidence against you.

Even if you fail, you should always go down SWINGING like a "MoFo"....as any GOOD MAN....and an INNOCENT MAN...should always do. Correct???

"Evil will always triumph....for as long as Good Men....do NOTHING."
post #13 of 30 Old 08-23-2009, 07:14 AM
4th Gear

That the officer didn't do a reading with a meter won't be proof enough in court, you'll still need to prove that they aren't what he said they are, i.e., you will have to prove you're tinting is below the legal limit.

The most you'll be able to get for the officer not using a meter is the satisfaction of seeing him get chewed out by the judge if you can produce proof that the tint job is legal.

Proud owner of a 2007 Honda Accord coupe V6/6MT with navi
Nighthawk black pearl/Ebony leather
Wing spoiler
Fog lights
Parrot bluetooth kit
Sport pedals
VentureShield hood protectant
post #14 of 30 Old 08-23-2009, 07:38 AM

You can get the tint removed and bring proof that you did remove them and the ticket should be tossed.

If you don't want to remove the tint and fight in court, when you mail in the ticket check the part on the back requesting a supporting deposition. Since the cop didn't measure your tint %age, will be no supporting deposition.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #15 of 30 Old 08-23-2009, 07:49 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LXV6 View Post
You can get the tint removed and bring proof that you did remove them and the ticket should be tossed.
That much did happen to me. I bought a used Cougar that was already tinted, and eventually a cop pulled me over for the tint being too dark. I had it re-tinted to the maximum allowed in Virginia, and brought the receipt in, told my story, and paid nothing.

But if you go in whining up front that the cop didn't use the meter, any sympathy on the part of the judge goes out the window.

Proud owner of a 2007 Honda Accord coupe V6/6MT with navi
Nighthawk black pearl/Ebony leather
Wing spoiler
Fog lights
Parrot bluetooth kit
Sport pedals
VentureShield hood protectant
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.